Mach2 in a Pelican Case

Shane Ramotowski

Hi all!

My Mach2 is finally portable!  I bought a Pelican 1560 case and adapted it to securely hold the Mach2 during transport.

See:
<http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/mach2_pelican.jpg>
<http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/mach2_pelican_empty.jpg>

The frame is 3/4 inch plywood lined with 5mm neoprene wherever it is in contact with the mount.  The Mach2 fits (almost too) snugly and does not move at all when in the case.  The black area on the lid contacts the mount on the RA axis to keep it from moving in the out-of-the-case direction when the lid is closed.  The frame is attached to the bottom of the case by 4 L brackets and to the front and back with 4 bolts each through the side of the case, a plastic wedge and the frame itself.  The frame does not move in the case and the Mach2 does not move in the frame.

You can see the white plastic wedge and bolts here:
<http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/pelican_bolts.jpg>

I have to take the saddle off and drop the altitude all the way to fit it in, but it's OK as the mount it only takes a minute to put the saddle back on and only about 3 minutes to polar align, which I would have to do anyway, since I just moved the mount.  I'm going to store the saddle in the area to the right of the mount in a pouch.

Ready for a Star Party!

- Shane

--
Shane Ramotowski
kor@cotse.net

M Hambrick

Very nice Shane

There is even room in there for a few other accessories.

Mike

Roland Christen

Very clever.

[...]

Yeah, but only if they are really light weight--I won't be putting the counterweight bar in there!  It's already pushing 60 lbs with the Mach2, case, and wood frame...

- Shane

On 6/14/2021 7:22 AM, M Hambrick wrote:
Very nice Shane

There is even room in there for a few other accessories.

Mike
--
Shane Ramotowski
kor@cotse.net
https://www.kor-astro.net

Shane Ramotowski

Thanks Roland.  This is 1/4th the volume that my AP1200 takes in transit!

- Shane

Very clever.

<http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/mach2_pelican.jpg <http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/mach2_pelican.jpg>>
<http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/mach2_pelican_empty.jpg <http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/mach2_pelican_empty.jpg>>

<http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/pelican_bolts.jpg <http://www.kor-astro.net/misc/pelican_bolts.jpg>>

I have to take the saddle off and drop the altitude all the way to fit
it in, but it's OK as the mount it only takes a minute to put the saddle
back on and only about 3 minutes to polar align, which I would have to
do anyway, since I just moved the mount.  I'm going to store the saddle
in the area to the right of the mount in a pouch.

Ready for a Star Party!

- Shane

--
Shane Ramotowski