Mach2 - Imaging in frigid night

Roland Christen

Hi Astronuts,

First clear night in a month, fired up the 160 EDF on the Mach2 mount at the AP observatory. There's also a 155 EDF riding piggyback, but not being used tonight. It's 5 deg F (-15C) right now with very clear air. The temperature is dropping like an anvil off a cliff. Seeing is, well see below (poor - 2 out of 5). The mount is tracking with MaximDL, multi-star tracking mode and averaging 0.15 rms arc sec. This is the first time in a year that I've operated this mount in such cold conditions. My fingers are freezing after only 5 minutes of operating out there. But for clear skies, it's worth it.

Shooting the Rosette in Ha with the Moon straight up.

Rolando

Current forecast for Astro-Physics Clear Sky Chart

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Rolando,
   You're a tough guy! I was outside and decided that discretion was the better part of valor and chickened out :)

cytan

On Friday, January 22, 2021, 07:42:18 PM CST, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Hi Astronuts,

First clear night in a month, fired up the 160 EDF on the Mach2 mount at the AP observatory. There's also a 155 EDF riding piggyback, but not being used tonight. It's 5 deg F (-15C) right now with very clear air. The temperature is dropping like an anvil off a cliff. Seeing is, well see below (poor - 2 out of 5). The mount is tracking with MaximDL, multi-star tracking mode and averaging 0.15 rms arc sec. This is the first time in a year that I've operated this mount in such cold conditions. My fingers are freezing after only 5 minutes of operating out there. But for clear skies, it's worth it.

Shooting the Rosette in Ha with the Moon straight up.

Rolando

Current forecast for Astro-Physics Clear Sky Chart

Hi Cytan,

Where are you located, and how cold is it there? We have a nice Canadian high pressure above now with arctic air coming right out of the north. Supposed to go down to -5 to -15 F tonight according to Clear Sky Clock.

First 20 minute image downloaded now, and of course there's a nice satellite trail right thru the middle of the Rosette. We'll see how many I can bag tonight.

[...]

   Just south of you in Naperville. Temp is now 11 deg according to my weather station.

On Friday, January 22, 2021, 7:50 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

[...]

We're somewhat north of you, plus you probably have slightly more heat domes in your neighborhood.
11 is balmy Stuck out tongue closed eyes

[...]

Tim Morrill

Hey Roland.
I’ve got my Mach2 up and running tonight as well.
Its currently 14° Here in central Iowa. So not too far from you. Going to be imaging all night. So far it’s doing great.
getting 10 minutes unguided exposures with no problem.
Running a Takahashi FSQ106mm on it. Cold weather doesn’t seem to faze the mount one bit. 😀

Tim

Terry Martin

Hi Rolando,

How can I tell whether my Mach2 has Extended Temperature Encoders in it or not?  I just received my Mach2 a couple days ago and there was no paper work with it.  Supposedly, I ordered the mount from a vendor with the Extended Temp encoders, but I don't know what I got.

Terry

Roland Christen

I did the final assembly on all the Mach2 mounts, and your mount was ordered with Low Temp encoders, and that's what it has in it. You ordered from your dealer who probably kept the paperwork that you should have received. I have the order list and it shows the serial numbers of the encoder and ring set as being low temp. You would have to disassemble the encoder enclosure to see the readhead, something I would advise not to do since everything is calibrated.

How can I tell whether my Mach2 has Extended Temperature Encoders in it or not?  I just received my Mach2 a couple days ago and there was no paper work with it.  Supposedly, I ordered the mount from a vendor with the Extended Temp encoders, but I don't know what I got.

Terry

Wow, cool! What are you shooting?

I’ve got my Mach2 up and running tonight as well.
Its currently 14° Here in central Iowa. So not too far from you. Going to be imaging all night. So far it’s doing great.
getting 10 minutes unguided exposures with no problem.
Running a Takahashi FSQ106mm on it. Cold weather doesn’t seem to faze the mount one bit. 😀

Tim

Jeff B

Just came in myself.  I'm located in my living room, warming up in front of the fireplace, in my comfy chair, jammies on, wrapped in my thick bathrobe, feet propped up on the ottoman wearing my pink bunny slippers, but also a nice glass of bourbon, neat of course.   A nice way to warm up.

Jeff

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 8:59 PM Terry Martin <terry@...> wrote:
Hi Rolando,

How can I tell whether my Mach2 has Extended Temperature Encoders in it or not?  I just received my Mach2 a couple days ago and there was no paper work with it.  Supposedly, I ordered the mount from a vendor with the Extended Temp encoders, but I don't know what I got.

Terry

Karen Christen

Now there’s an image I can’t unsee….   🤣

Karen

AP

--
Karen Christen

Just came in myself.  I'm located in my living room, warming up in front of the fireplace, in my comfy chair, jammies on, wrapped in my thick bathrobe, feet propped up on the ottoman wearing my pink bunny slippers, but also a nice glass of bourbon, neat of course.   A nice way to warm up.
Ouch! That's mean!! Angry face with horns

(Sounds great though)

Just came in myself.  I'm located in my living room, warming up in front of the fireplace, in my comfy chair, jammies on, wrapped in my thick bathrobe, feet propped up on the ottoman wearing my pink bunny slippers, but also a nice glass of bourbon, neat of course.   A nice way to warm up.

Jeff

On Fri, Jan 22, 2021 at 8:59 PM Terry Martin <terry@...> wrote:
Hi Rolando,

How can I tell whether my Mach2 has Extended Temperature Encoders in it or not?  I just received my Mach2 a couple days ago and there was no paper work with it.  Supposedly, I ordered the mount from a vendor with the Extended Temp encoders, but I don't know what I got.

Terry

Even with so-so seeing, the mount's running pretty good (see below). I switched from sidereal tracking to King rate in the keypad and the RA tracking immediately went down from 0.2 to 0.15 rms and for some periods down below 0.1. Reason I used the King rate is because the object is just above 35 degrees altitude, so there's lots of atmospheric refraction which requires a slower rate than Sidereal.

I’ve got my Mach2 up and running tonight as well.
Its currently 14° Here in central Iowa. So not too far from you. Going to be imaging all night. So far it’s doing great.
getting 10 minutes unguided exposures with no problem.
Running a Takahashi FSQ106mm on it. Cold weather doesn’t seem to faze the mount one bit. 😀

Tim

Terry Martin

Thank you Roland,

I feel much, much better now.  I am a Mechanical Engineer, so I love taking things apart, but I won't be taking the Mach2 apart. .....at least for a while anyways.

Terry

Roland Christen

It didn't occur to me to take pictures of the readheads, which are marked as Low Temp. About 20% of the mounts have them.