From: Bryan R. <bross138@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Mar 28, 2022 7:10 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Mach2 Ethernet #Mach2GTO

Hello. I have a question on the Mach2 internal cabling, probably more-so directed at the folks as AP.  The specs state a USB 3.0 and DC power cable that are pre-installed.  My question is:  Is there any feasibility or future plan to also running an ethernet cable internally along with the USB and DC Power?  While I am sure the robustness of the GTOCP5 wifi is adequate, I personally have always opted to minimize connections that rely on wireless (Cat6 ethernet to every room in the home, etc).  I see that the GTOCP5 does have the ethernet port on it, and ideally it would be nice to connect a patch cable from the GTOCP5 ethernet port to this hypothetical ethernet jack that would run internal, and then another patch to a mini PC.  Again, may or may not be feasible or planned, but wanted to ask to see if there were previous discussions or potential future plans to do this.  Thanks.
Bryan

Charles Thompson

I have a problem with that connection too. I wish the CPx USB connection could ride on the through the mount cabling so you didn't have to put a hub at the CP5 to get it's connection up to the top of the mount with the rest of the USB devices.

I am thinking about running an Ethernet cable with the USB3 extension cable, back to the laptop. That way you don't have an extra USB hub at the base or a USB cable dragging up to a hub on the top. In my case it is a UPBV2 that rides up top.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

From: "Bryan R." <bross138@...>
Date: 3/28/22 7:10 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

[...]

Roland Christen

What is the CP5 communicating with on top of the mount? Normally the CP5 communicates with a laptop that sends GoTo coordinates from a planetarium program. It also communicates with APCC/APPM for modeling and with guider programs such as PHD2 or MaximDL. None of those would be up on top of the mount.

The CP5 can also communicate via WiFi with any device, no cables needed. The communication to and from the CP5 is at a very low level and consists of very few bits. Does not need the high speed capabilities of Ethernet.

[...]

You can use the USB or WiFi to connect to the CP5 from the top of the mount.

Roland

From: "Marcelo Figueroa via groups.io" <marfig1970@...>
Date: 3/28/22 10:40 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

What I do is connect an ethernet cable directly from my capture pc to CP5. And I use the Mach 2's internal cabling to connect USB and power to a Pegasus PPBA mounted on top of the scope for camera and devices.

And by the way, unless you are doing planetary imaging/video USB 3 is not really necessary. USB 2 is much more stable and reliable, being able to use longer cables. The speed difference in downloading images is barely noticeable.

Roland Christen

Ethernet cables will not fit inside the hollow shaft of the mach2. The mount would have to grow bigger in size in order to fit another cable. This would make it as large as the 1100 mount.

Roland