Mach2: Error Reading DEC encoder

Andrew Burwell

Uh oh, what's this mean? It just started showing up after I've been imaging for an hour+

Mike Hanson

Hi Andrew,

The messages mean exactly what they say.  In most cases, they are caused by loss of connectivity between the sensor and the control box.  Please check all connections.  Swap the RA and DEC cables (on both ends, of course) so that the RA cable becomes the DEC cable, and the DEC cable becomes the RA cable.  If the issue is the cable, the problem will follow the cable to the RA axis.  Also try to determine if the errors are related to a particular position in the sky, or they are there all the time.  Please verify you are using the latest version of APCC.  If you continue to have issues, please call the office.

Regards,
Mike Hanson

Andrew Burwell

This issue continued through the night. But I found if I cleared the errors, they immediately showed up again with new errors. If I didn't clear the errors, it would go hours without reporting new errors. Is this possibly a software issue?

Andrew Burwell

Thanks Mike. I'll try the cable swap. I'm running APCC 1.9.4.3 2/27/2022.