Mach2 DEC axis movement.

Stacey Mills

I've noticed a bit of "looseness" in the Dec axis on my Mach2.  The RA axis has no loose movement at all.  I assume there's an adjustment for this, I just haven't been able to find a reference.

Thanks!

-Stacey

Dean Jacobsen

Stacey Mills

Thanks!  That's perfect.  I'll probably leave it alone for now.

-Stacey

Stacey Mills

Curiosity got the best of me and I thought the looseness (glad I didn't use the "s" word and irritate Roland!), was more than I wanted.  What I discovered when I took the covers off was that the two bolts holding the entire DEC drive assembly were slightly loose.  These are located just below the covers and secure the black anodized bracket that holds the drive motor assembly.  A quick tighten with an Allen wrench and the DEC axis was back as it should be.  You need to remove both covers to get to these two bolts.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  You'll need to remove the black axis plug used for mounting a PoleMaster scope to remove the top drive cover.  I'd recommend removing all the top cover screws before removing this plug, remove it, remove the top cover and put the plug back in.  You DON'T want a bolt dropping into that opening!  The plug can stay in for removing the bottom cover.

-Stacey

mjb87@...

Thanks, Stacey. I can confirm as Roland says that my small movement (not "slop"!!) does not interfere with tracking. However, I would like to confirm no bolts are loose. As a picture is worth a thousand words, could you perhaps post one if you have it?

Marty

Stacey Mills

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures. You'll have to remove both covers and then you'll see the two hex bolts below the drive assembly "box."  You can't miss it.

-Stacey

Wei-Hao

Hi,

I kind of wonder if an equivalent adjustment can be done for RA.

mjb87@...

I decided to tighten up the axis bolts, as Stacey did above. I found that each of the two bolts on the RA axis were loose.  In case anyone else is thinking of checking, here is a quick overview of the process (with photos).

1. Remove the four bolts connecting the black metal motor cover.

2. This exposes the motor which remains surrounded by a metal protective enclosure.  This enclosure also has to be removed. (As Roland has explained elsewhere, the four bolts here are shorter than those in step #1. Do not mix them up and make sure each set of four is put back in its correct place.) The two bolts that need to be tightened were behind the bottom part of this enclosure.

3. This exposes the two bolts that needed tightening. Here is an image of one of them, at the bottom center of the image.

Once this bolt and the one on the other side were tightened, any looseness in the axis went away.

Marty

Stacey Mills

Marty, Nicely done and illustrated.  Thanks for the pictures!  The key for me was that the amount of movement was more than I would have expected from a loose worm gear mesh.

-Stacey