Mach2 CP5 Orthogonality Model #Mach2GTO #Keypad

John Upton

Hi AP folks,

  I have a follow up question related to a previous thread I started a few months back.
(Interactions Between Keypad and APCC Orthogonality Models?)

   In that thread, Roland said "the Ortho is always on regardless of whether you use or turn off any of the other keypad models. Once you enter ortho data it stays there until you overwrite it by doing a new ortho routine."

   My new question is whether there "is any other way to zero out the Ortho Model data stored inside the CP5"?

   I have gotten myself into a situation where pointing is off by quite a bit making it difficult to even perform a new Otho Model with the keypad. (I accidentally identified a different/wrong  star in the second part of the procedure.) The pointing error is causing long Plate Solves when I build an APCC model or simply do a Plate Solve and Recal. The resulting APCC Model pointing is good and works very well but building it takes longer because of the CP5 Ortho Model pre-corrections for each slew.

   Is there a quicker way to reset the Ortho parameters to zero / default without doing a good new Ortho Model with the Keypad?

John

Mike Hanson

Hi John,

You don't need to capture a "good" ortho model to "erase" it.  Just run the keypad procedure, but do NOT make any N-S-E-W centering corrections.  This will produce an ortho model with zero correction - same as "erasing".  It only takes as long as the slews take.  No need to use the scope or camera, can be done in daylight or in your living room.

Regards,
Mike Hanson

John Upton

Mike,

   Thanks! That makes perfect sense. It just never occurred to me to try that...

John

Peter Nagy

This should be mentioned in A-P manuals either in Mach2 or Keypad documentations. This is useful information.

Peter

John Upton

Mike,

   Thanks again. The method worked perfectly. I have been using this feature of the V5 Keypad since I set up anew each night for the most part and found that my cone error changed slightly night to night. (In addition to any dovetail induced cone error, I am also using an 11" SCT with mirror flop until I tighten the mirror clutches/clamps.) This feature has been helping with pointing until I get a model built. That is ... until I messed it up the other night. It is great to be able to recover so easily. It took very little time.

John

Peter,

I agree and made a note to do so.

Clear Skies,