Topics

Mach2 and PHD2 Guiding recommendations

Dean Jacobsen

Roland,

I seem to recall that you mentioned in a post a month or so ago that you were working on recommendations for PHD2 guide settings with the Mach2.  Have those been memorialized anywhere in a single location so we can look them up?  If not then I can certainly start looking through your posts here on the forum.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

It's really quite simple.

1) Set a delay of 2 to 3 seconds between guide exposures. No need to chase gear errors because there aren't any.
2) use whatever exposure time you want to get a good signal/noise ratio (usually from 1 to 5 seconds)
3) use Guiding assistant to gauge the seeing and set your MinMove to what is recommended.
4) depending on seeing, the aggressiveness can be set between 50% to 90%.

Be sure that your guide scope focal length is set properly in PHD2 in the scope setup window.

Then image away.

I seem to recall that you mentioned in a post a month or so ago that you were working on recommendations for PHD2 guide settings with the Mach2.  Have those been memorialized anywhere in a single location so we can look them up?  If not then I can certainly start looking through your posts here on the forum.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

Set a delay of 2 to 3 seconds
By the way that's set in milliseconds, so should read 2000 to 3000msec in the setup window.

From: "uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: 5/19/20 1:10 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

Try them, see which one works best for you. I have not had skies good enough for much imaging, and when it is clear I am usually testing other functions (modeling, unguided imaging etc).
If it's clear later this week I will do some PHD2 testing.

Excellent, it sounds simple enough.  I use PHD2 now so the guide scope is set up.

I was also wondering about Mount Guide Algorithms for both RA and declination.  Last summer you were comparing hysteresis vs lowpass vs lowpass2 if I recall correctly.  Do you have a recommendation for the RA and for the declination algorithms?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

I have used Lowpass2 and it works quite well.

From: "uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: 5/19/20 1:10 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io

Try them, see which one works best for you. I have not had skies good enough for much imaging, and when it is clear I am usually testing other functions (modeling, unguided imaging etc).
If it's clear later this week I will do some PHD2 testing.

Excellent, it sounds simple enough.  I use PHD2 now so the guide scope is set up.

I was also wondering about Mount Guide Algorithms for both RA and declination.  Last summer you were comparing hysteresis vs lowpass vs lowpass2 if I recall correctly.  Do you have a recommendation for the RA and for the declination algorithms?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Charles Thompson

I should have clarified also that my 1100 does not have AE. Also, it did guide better after I clicked for it to change to Lowpass2!

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

If you use the PHD2 New Profile Wizard, they added a checkbox for high precision encoders. If you check that, it will change to Lowpass2.

I have used Lowpass2 and it works quite well.

Try them, see which one works best for you. I have not had skies good enough for much imaging, and when it is clear I am usually testing other functions (modeling, unguided imaging etc).
If it's clear later this week I will do some PHD2 testing.

Excellent, it sounds simple enough.  I use PHD2 now so the guide scope is set up.

I was also wondering about Mount Guide Algorithms for both RA and declination.  Last summer you were comparing hysteresis vs lowpass vs lowpass2 if I recall correctly.  Do you have a recommendation for the RA and for the declination algorithms?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Bill Long

Pretty cool that GA now does that as well. I should probably run that sometime... 😉

If you use the PHD2 New Profile Wizard, they added a checkbox for high precision encoders. If you check that, it will change to Lowpass2.

I have used Lowpass2 and it works quite well.

Try them, see which one works best for you. I have not had skies good enough for much imaging, and when it is clear I am usually testing other functions (modeling, unguided imaging etc).
If it's clear later this week I will do some PHD2 testing.

Excellent, it sounds simple enough.  I use PHD2 now so the guide scope is set up.

I was also wondering about Mount Guide Algorithms for both RA and declination.  Last summer you were comparing hysteresis vs lowpass vs lowpass2 if I recall correctly.  Do you have a recommendation for the RA and for the declination algorithms?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

If you have very low dec backlash and/or absolute encoders, lowpass2 is the preferred algorithm

Brian

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:33 AM, uncarollo2 <chris1011@...> wrote:
It's really quite simple.

1) Set a delay of 2 to 3 seconds between guide exposures. No need to chase gear errors because there aren't any.
2) use whatever exposure time you want to get a good signal/noise ratio (usually from 1 to 5 seconds)
3) use Guiding assistant to gauge the seeing and set your MinMove to what is recommended.
4) depending on seeing, the aggressiveness can be set between 50% to 90%.

Be sure that your guide scope focal length is set properly in PHD2 in the scope setup window.

Then image away.

Rolando
OK, the Mach2 arrived Friday and I took a trip out to the observatory last night.

Had been able to update my ASCOM/AP Driver/PHD2/SGP software and driver stack.  TheSkyX connects.  APCC Pro was set up and functioning.

No modeling or other fancy stuff yet.

Here is a segment of guiding after the sequence completed and there weren't any dithers for a while.

--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Dominique Durand

Hi Dean,
nice curve, but I think it's the least of things with this frame.
But "No modeling or other fancy stuff yet.", I personally went for my 130GT without guidance.
  Frame received Wednesday 6 p.m., Thursday 1st modeling of 35 points and conclusive tests ... Friday clouds ... Yesterday Saturday 2nd modeling 86 points, with a small series of photos on M109 (cropped version) and a checking of pointing ... the score seems pretty good to me and I still have to know if with the return of deviations below 0.65 arc.min this is correct.
But without guidance last night, here, with 14 exposures of 6, 'what I get with my AP130 GT and a QHY294c (recent for me).
No longer having to guide is only happiness.
Dominique

Bill Long

This whole data set was taken unguided:

AG Optical 10" iDK | FLI Ml16200 | AP1100 AE

Using my standard 80pt APCC model I always use. Works a charm. I should have actually dialed back the L frames. All subs were 5 minutes.

nice curve, but I think it's the least of things with this frame.
But "No modeling or other fancy stuff yet.", I personally went for my 130GT without guidance.
  Frame received Wednesday 6 p.m., Thursday 1st modeling of 35 points and conclusive tests ... Friday clouds ... Yesterday Saturday 2nd modeling 86 points, with a small series of photos on M109 (cropped version) and a checking of pointing ... the score seems pretty good to me and I still have to know if with the return of deviations below 0.65 arc.min this is correct.
But without guidance last night, here, with 14 exposures of 6, 'what I get with my AP130 GT and a QHY294c (recent for me).
No longer having to guide is only happiness.
Dominique

Dean Jacobsen

The mount is a beautiful mount and it worked great on its first night out.  Thanks Roland and everyone else at AP.  Very well done.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Bill Long

Great to hear. Many adventures to be had in the future under the stars for sure. 🙂