Mach1 Unable to Find Home Position Suddenly

Mikko Viljamaa

I will try this in a moment but I still think this is some simple silly issue we are missing now and which has something to do with the time or location of the mount (or it's assumption of one of these)

- Mikko

Roland Christen

Here is another thing you can try if you have a keypad. Disconnect all external connections and plug the keypad in. Turn power on.

Start the mount from present position
Send the mount to Park3 (don't turn power off)
Send the mount to Park4 (don't turn power off)
repeat the above sequence and see if the mount gets an increasing error.

If the error increases same as with the ASCOM driver, then it points directly to a mechanical slippage problem. Something is slipping in the geartrain between the motor shaft to the RA axis itself. Could even be loose clutch, but I doubt that.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Apr 3, 2020 1:56 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Mach1 Unable to Find Home Position Suddenly

Nothing probably to do with this but previously (older versions of AP V2) when you launched the driver, it asked if you want to unpark the mount. The current one does not do that and I notice that even though I have not initialized the mount, the screen shot I attached says that the mount is unparked.

- Mikko

Mikko Viljamaa

Edited

No keypad, nor did I have a small enough Allen wrench to check the small worm gear screw. But I used a marker to mark it and the axle to see if they have moved after a slew or two. No movement and as said, I don't think this is a mechanical issue. As a a matter of fact, I'm starting to see similar issues when the control panel had moist in it and when the mount started slowly to slew and suddenly speeds up. This happen twice now tonight for the first time. Also and I don't know if I have been able to confuse the whole thing but after playing with the mount now for awhile and asking it to park 4, it will hit the pier. That's how much off it is now.

i'm out of ideas at the moment.

- Mikko

Roland Christen

I starting to see similar issues when the control panel had moist in it and when the mount starts slowly to slew and suddenly speeds up.
What's a control panel?

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Apr 3, 2020 5:48 pm

No keypad, nor did I have a small enough Allen wrench to check the small worm gear screw. But I used a marker to mark it and the axle to see if they have moved after a slew or two. No movement and as said, I don't think this is a mechanical issue. As a a matter of fact, I starting to see similar issues when the control panel had moist in it and when the mount starts slowly to slew and suddenly speeds up. This happen twice now tonight for the first time. Also and I don't know if I have been able to confuse the whole thing but after playing with the mount now for awhile and asking it to park 4, it will hit the pier. That's how much off it is now.

- Mikko

Roland Christen

By control panel, do you mean the CP3 servo drive controller? Yes, getting moisture in there can cause a problem. You may want to dry it out and try it afterwards.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Apr 3, 2020 5:49 pm

[Edited Message Follows]
No keypad, nor did I have a small enough Allen wrench to check the small worm gear screw. But I used a marker to mark it and the axle to see if they have moved after a slew or two. No movement and as said, I don't think this is a mechanical issue. As a a matter of fact, I'm starting to see similar issues when the control panel had moist in it and when the mount started slowly to slew and suddenly speeds up. This happen twice now tonight for the first time. Also and I don't know if I have been able to confuse the whole thing but after playing with the mount now for awhile and asking it to park 4, it will hit the pier. That's how much off it is now.

- Mikko

Mikko Viljamaa

Yes, that's what I mean. I'll try that tomorrow.

- Mikko

Mikko Viljamaa

The CP3 is bone dry, nothing wrong there. On another positive note, the mount tracked well all night again as far as I can tell and had parked itself spot on. This is the second night in a row. The start was as bad as the other night (below right and remember that the correct position is close to Meridian) and it's almost like the initialization goes wrong somehow (or doesn't always happen) but I don't know how to verify this. Only after I power off everything including the SGP things seem to improve and when I do a trial slew and it comes back close enough (that same 1/4" typically) I know that if I start the sequence, it probably will plate solve and do it's thing. That's what happened yesterday also.

The photo on the left taken during the daylight was one when the mount was supposed to park itself from 3 to 4. Not pretty...

Mikko Viljamaa

I might have to try this now. Just have to learn to use Luminous first...

- Mikko

Mikko Viljamaa

I thought I'll give an update to this now after a few weeks. I've learnt that if I click both the unpark the mount (even thought the SGP unparks the mount automatically) AND resync the mount time from PC, everything works fine. If I don't do this the first slew might be off. I have no idea why this is other than it seems like the mount does not necessarily always initialize without these procedures.

- Mikko

Ray, and all ... is there a clock chip in the CP that might be battery driven? Mikko's error made me think of that sort of failure.

Mojo

On 4/25/20 10:24 AM, Mikko Viljamaa wrote:
I thought I'll give an update to this now after a few weeks. I've learnt that if I click both the unpark the mount (even thought the SGP unparks the mount automatically) AND resync the mount time from PC, everything works fine. If I don't do this the first slew might be off. I have no idea why this is other than it seems like the mount does not necessarily always initialize without these procedures.

- Mikko

Roland Christen

Mounts require an accurate time base to position the RA axis from a parked position. I assume your PC time is accurate, in that case it should always be used in the initialization process.

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Apr 25, 2020 12:25 pm

- Mikko

Roland Christen

s there a clock chip in the CP that might be battery driven?
There is not a clock chip per se, so upon startup the mount must receive an accurate clock time. Once it receives that it starts an internal timer that keeps time until power is removed.

Rolando

Sent: Sat, Apr 25, 2020 2:27 pm

Ray, and all ... is there a clock chip in the CP that might be battery driven? Mikko's error made me think of that sort of failure.

Mojo

On 4/25/20 10:24 AM, Mikko Viljamaa wrote:

- Mikko