From: KHursh via groups.io <khursh@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Apr 17, 2021 9:54 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] M 81

I know this is an oft-imaged galaxy, but it is one of the first images I am proud of.
Image processing is challenging, but capture is a breeze with the Mach2.
Sky-watcher 120 with ASI294MM,

https://astrob.in/kxm7yk/0/

Kevin

KHursh

Thanks Unc Rolando

Howard Hedlund

Nicely done!  That first good image is always a special one.  Print it; frame it; and hang it on your astro-trophy wall!

Jeff B

Yes, very nice.

Was the optic the doublet or triplet?

Jeff

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 9:46 AM Howard Hedlund <howard@...> wrote:
Nicely done!  That first good image is always a special one.  Print it; frame it; and hang it on your astro-trophy wall!

KHursh

Thanks Howard

KHursh

Thanks Jeff. It was the Esprit 120, which is a triplet

Jeff B

Cool.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 8:40 PM KHursh via groups.io <khursh=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks Jeff. It was the Esprit 120, which is a triplet

Steven Panish

Nice job Kevin!  Other than the short exposures, did you have to do anything special in PI to avoid blowing out the core?  I've been thinking about getting one of those cameras...

Steve

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 10:55 PM KHursh via groups.io <khursh=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I know this is an oft-imaged galaxy, but it is one of the first images I am proud of.
Image processing is challenging, but capture is a breeze with the Mach2.
Sky-watcher 120 with ASI294MM,

https://astrob.in/kxm7yk/0/

Kevin

KHursh

Yeah, that is my rule of thumb with CMOS. Short exposures. Thanks for the kind words

Mike Dodd

I have an ASI-1600MC Pro on a TMB130SS f/7 APO on an AP1200. I usually shoot 10m subs. For galaxies I often use Pixinsight's HDRMultiscaleTransformation to recover core detail. Here is my attempt at M81 and M82: http://astronomy.mdodd.com/galaxies-18.html

It's easy to get carried away with HDR. I've attached a screen shot of M81 where I went way too far.

CS, Mike

380x383

Steven Panish

I think Kevin's approach is correct for CMOS.  I have the 1600MM Pro and there just doesn't seem to be an advantage to long subs, although I've only done one galaxy and it was faint.  The integration recovers the low end and the high end has less saturation.  Kevin's 294MM has much greater full well depth than the 1600 as well as 14 vs 12 bits.  There were some minor sensor issues but I'm getting one when they are fixed.

Steve

On Tue, Apr 20, 2021 at 10:11 PM Mike Dodd <mike@...> wrote:
I have an ASI-1600MC Pro on a TMB130SS f/7 APO on an AP1200. I usually shoot 10m subs. For galaxies I often use Pixinsight's HDRMultiscaleTransformation to recover core detail. Here is my attempt at M81 and M82: http://astronomy.mdodd.com/galaxies-18.html

It's easy to get carried away with HDR. I've attached a screen shot of M81 where I went way too far.

CS, Mike

380x383 (0x0)
0 B