M33 from CalStar 2022

Arvind

Shot using 900GTO & FSQ106 at f/5 with 2400MC Pro OSC camera, imaged using ASIAIR & an iOS app.

Just shy of 3½ hours total, including an auto-meridian flip. Polar Alignment was less than a 1-arcmin, and guided using a 120mm guidescope. Guide settings were 600 for all values (Calib. step, Max RA & Dec duration) in ASIAIR.

Love this setup for portable multi-night imaging (I'm at a star party). Not a single sub lost out of the 100 subs from last night, and the image is not cropped, as well.

Roland Christen

Very nice processing. What software are you using to process the image?

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Sep 23, 2022 1:02 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] M33 from CalStar 2022

Shot using 900GTO & FSQ106 at f/5 with 2400MC Pro OSC camera, imaged using ASIAIR & an iOS app.

Just shy of 3½ hours total, including an auto-meridian flip. Polar Alignment was less than a 1-arcmin, and guided using a 120mm guidescope. Guide settings were 600 for all values (Calib. step, Max RA & Dec duration) in ASIAIR.

Love this setup for portable multi-night imaging (I'm at a star party). Not a single sub lost out of the 100 subs from last night, and the image is not cropped, as well.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Arvind

Thanks Roland. I used Astro Pixel Processor for processing.

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 11:07 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

Is there an advantage to this program versus Pix Insight? I haven't tried either one. My main processing path is to do what I can in MaximDL and then process further in Photoshop.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Sep 23, 2022 1:51 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] M33 from CalStar 2022

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 11:07 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Bill Long

APP is a bit easier to use than PI, but does not have the full kit of power that PI does. APP is wonderful at Mosaics though, much easier to do in APP than PI. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2022 12:11 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

Is there an advantage to this program versus Pix Insight? I haven't tried either one. My main processing path is to do what I can in MaximDL and then process further in Photoshop.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Sep 23, 2022 1:51 pm

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Dean Jacobsen

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 11:02 AM, Arvind wrote:
Excellent image Arvind.  The ASI2400MC full frame camera is an excellent match with the FSQ-106 at f/5.  I started using the same camera with the FSQ at gain 158 and then have recently been shooting at gain0 to take advantage of the large well capacity so as to preserve more star color.  With the FSQ + 645 reducer combo [f/3.6] I was saturating almost all of the stars in the field at gain 158.  :-)  The camera is fairly new to me so I am still in the process of trying to optimize things.

--
Dean Jacobsen
Astrobin Image Gallery - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/

Arvind

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 12:13 PM Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:
APP is a bit easier to use than PI, but does not have the full kit of power that PI does. APP is wonderful at Mosaics though, much easier to do in APP than PI. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io>

Rolando

Roland, Bill - Just like Bill mentions I've heard that PixInsight is more versatile than Astro Pixel Processor, but I have not tried PI yet.

I tried looking at PI previously, but it appears to have a steep learning curve with the way the user interface works. Astro Pixel Processor's streamlined workflow can be achieved on PixInsight, from what I gather, by using readily available scripts (WBPP?) which automate most of the things.. but APP is inherently built like a streamlined workflow to begin with.. and then there are a handful of tools (light pollution removal, color adjustments, etc) that you handle later as needed. Atleast personally I've been happy with the results I'm getting from APP so haven't had the need to feel limited by it.

I overall tend to prefer things that make my life easier, so ended up sticking with APP :-) Perhaps one day in the future I might feel compelled to switch to PI but I can't feel limited in anyway at this time at least... 

Roland Christen

Thanks for the info.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Sep 23, 2022 2:35 pm

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 12:13 PM Bill Long <bill@...> wrote:

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io>

Rolando

Roland, Bill - Just like Bill mentions I've heard that PixInsight is more versatile than Astro Pixel Processor, but I have not tried PI yet.

I tried looking at PI previously, but it appears to have a steep learning curve with the way the user interface works. Astro Pixel Processor's streamlined workflow can be achieved on PixInsight, from what I gather, by using readily available scripts (WBPP?) which automate most of the things.. but APP is inherently built like a streamlined workflow to begin with.. and then there are a handful of tools (light pollution removal, color adjustments, etc) that you handle later as needed. Atleast personally I've been happy with the results I'm getting from APP so haven't had the need to feel limited by it.

I overall tend to prefer things that make my life easier, so ended up sticking with APP :-) Perhaps one day in the future I might feel compelled to switch to PI but I can't feel limited in anyway at this time at least... 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Arvind

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 12:32 PM Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 11:02 AM, Arvind wrote:
Excellent image Arvind.  The ASI2400MC full frame camera is an excellent match with the FSQ-106 at f/5.  I started using the same camera with the FSQ at gain 158 and then have recently been shooting at gain0 to take advantage of the large well capacity so as to preserve more star color.  With the FSQ + 645 reducer combo [f/3.6] I was saturating almost all of the stars in the field at gain 158.  :-)  The camera is fairly new to me so I am still in the process of trying to optimize things.

--
Dean Jacobsen
_._,_._,_

Thanks Dean! I've seen some of your images with this setup as well. I am liking this setup, and has been my main portable imaging train (mount varies depending on location/duration). 

Dean Jacobsen

Edited

On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 12:35 PM, Arvind wrote:

Yes, PixInsight does have a bit of a learning curve and it does take some study to learn how to use it.  I learned by reading a couple of books and by buying a subscription to an on line tutorial site.  Since then I have purchased a subscription to Adam Block's video tutorial package.  All of his stuff is excellent and I would highly recommend his tutorials if you are thinking of learning PixInsight.  I started buying his tutorials years ago when he was putting out tutorials for CCDStack and Photoshop.

--
Dean Jacobsen