M31 closeup

Roland Christen

Hi Astronuts,

Just posted my final quickie image taken with the 12" F12.5 Mak-Cass. M31, familiar object, up close and personal.
https://www.astrobin.com/hzazjs/

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Jeff B

Major cool Roland.

I bet you could also pick up some of the big M31 Globulars with that scope too.  I've visually seen them as decidedly non-stellar in our 11" F12 achromat.

Give it a go.

Jeff

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 9:38 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Astronuts,

Just posted my final quickie image taken with the 12" F12.5 Mak-Cass. M31, familiar object, up close and personal.

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

I did shoot one with my 10" Mak many years ago. Here's the image with inset of the Hubble shot:

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Cc: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Thu, Oct 14, 2021 8:50 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] M31 closeup

Major cool Roland.

I bet you could also pick up some of the big M31 Globulars with that scope too.  I've visually seen them as decidedly non-stellar in our 11" F12 achromat.

Give it a go.

Jeff

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 9:38 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Astronuts,

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

thefamily90 Phillips

Nice!!

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2021 10:37:25 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

I did shoot one with my 10" Mak many years ago. Here's the image with inset of the Hubble shot:

Major cool Roland.

Give it a go.

Jeff

Hi Astronuts,

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Jeff B

Pretty cool Roland.  Very nice.  The glob is obviously non-stellar in your old image and on the edge of resolving the outer stars.  I bet the 12" with the latest cameras just might "get there".  Nice comparison with the Hubble shot.  

Jeff

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 10:39 AM thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:
Nice!!

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io>

Major cool Roland.

Give it a go.

Jeff

Hi Astronuts,

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

There's probably a way to do it by taking thousands of very short exposures with a noise-free CMOS camera and stacking them, similar to what planetary imagers do. back then I was using an old ST10 camera with 7.4 micron pixels and quite noisy to boot. I bumped the 10" to F22 with a Barlow to get the image scale up. I think this one was 10 x 5 minute exposures, so it was definitely affected by seeing.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Oct 15, 2021 10:08 am

Pretty cool Roland.  Very nice.  The glob is obviously non-stellar in your old image and on the edge of resolving the outer stars.  I bet the 12" with the latest cameras just might "get there".  Nice comparison with the Hubble shot.  

Jeff

Nice!!

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io>

Major cool Roland.

Give it a go.

Jeff

Hi Astronuts,

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Jeff B

Yeah, treating it like a planetary image makes sense and there are some wicked good planetary imagers out there with bigger apertures too.  An interesting challenge.

Jeff

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 11:32 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
There's probably a way to do it by taking thousands of very short exposures with a noise-free CMOS camera and stacking them, similar to what planetary imagers do. back then I was using an old ST10 camera with 7.4 micron pixels and quite noisy to boot. I bumped the 10" to F22 with a Barlow to get the image scale up. I think this one was 10 x 5 minute exposures, so it was definitely affected by seeing.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Oct 15, 2021 10:08 am

Jeff

Nice!!

Major cool Roland.

Give it a go.

Jeff

Hi Astronuts,

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics