M101 from our light polluted skies

Roland Christen

Hi Astronuts,

Had a couple of clear nights last week, enough to shoot some images with our 17" Astrograph using the venerable and old STL11K (I call it the noise maker). With 9 micron pixels it's a great match for the 17" F8 scope. There is about 5 hours of image, stacked and lightly processed in MaximDL, unguided with APCC/APPM modeling. No need to guide any more even with this long focal length.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/hj4o7s/0/?mod=&real=
https://www.astrobin.com/hj4o7s/0/

midmoastro

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 06:21 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
https://www.astrobin.com/hj4o7s/0/
Nice!  Great detail in there.  3458mm focal length?
Todd

Roland Christen

17x8x25.4  ;^))

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 06:21 PM, Roland Christen wrote:

https://www.astrobin.com/hj4o7s/0/
Nice!  Great detail in there.  3458mm focal length?
Todd

Jeff B

Beautiful Roland!

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 8:02 PM midmoastro <teche70@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 06:21 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
https://www.astrobin.com/hj4o7s/0/
Nice!  Great detail in there.  3458mm focal length?
Todd

Bob Enouen

 Cool!  Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Robert J. Enouen
Cell 513-504-4410

On Jun 27, 2022, at 7:21 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Hi Astronuts,

Had a couple of clear nights last week, enough to shoot some images with our 17" Astrograph using the venerable and old STL11K (I call it the noise maker). With 9 micron pixels it's a great match for the 17" F8 scope. There is about 5 hours of image, stacked and lightly processed in MaximDL, unguided with APCC/APPM modeling. No need to guide any more even with this long focal length.

https://www.astrobin.com/full/hj4o7s/0/?mod=&real=
https://www.astrobin.com/hj4o7s/0/

Eric Weiner

Very nice Roland, as is all of your work and products. A very drool worthy astrograph. I too would be interested to hear long your subs were.

Eric

Roland Christen

Typically 4 to 6 minutes, depending on how fast the stars in the object saturate.

Roland