Topics

Lubrication interval

Eric Dreher

My Mach1GTO will be three years old in a few months, and has never been lubricated.  Then again, it hasn't been used much in the bad weather we've been experiencing for months.

That said, what is the recommended lubrication interval?  The mount has been stored indoors in a temperature range of 65 to 80 degrees.

Does A-P have a recommended lube kit and where might I find the instructions on how to do this properly?

Thanks for any and all answers.

Eric

Worsel

Eric

There have been a few threads on this in the past.

For example,

https://ap-gto.groups.io/g/main/message/59222

Search for secret sauce and for Aeroshell

The former is an A-P product, the latter is a Shell product

I beleive the suggested interval is one to 2 years, but defer to A-P.

Bryan

Don Anderson

Eric
Lubrication intervals are dependant on usage and the environment the mount operates in. Even if the mount is little used and is stored inside, the grease still dries out. I just re greased my lightly used 2009 AP 900 GOTO last year. In hind sight, should have done it years before. Grease and your labour are cheap. Repairs are not!
Don

On Mar 23, 2020, at 8:51 PM, Eric Dreher <ericpdreher@...> wrote:

My Mach1GTO will be three years old in a few months, and has never been lubricated.  Then again, it hasn't been used much in the bad weather we've been experiencing for months.

That said, what is the recommended lubrication interval?  The mount has been stored indoors in a temperature range of 65 to 80 degrees.

Does A-P have a recommended lube kit and where might I find the instructions on how to do this properly?

Thanks for any and all answers.

Eric

Eric Dreher

Thank you, Don.  I thought I remembered A-P having a kit, but wanted to be sure.  And much like a car or truck, time intervals are involved are not related to "mileage", so I figured my mount might be due.  I'll be calling Marj for the kit in a few minutes.

Thanks again.  I appreciate your answer.

Eric

Steven Steven

... and be careful NOT to use Mil-spec Aeroshell (designated with the letter "M"). It has a slight modification in the recipe.

There have been a few threads on this in the past.

For example,

https://ap-gto.groups.io/g/main/message/59222

Search for secret sauce and for Aeroshell

The former is an A-P product, the latter is a Shell product

I beleive the suggested interval is one to 2 years, but defer to A-P.

Bryan

Joe Zeglinski

Don,

    Lubricants do have a “Best Before” date,  stamped right on their containers, especially the AeroShell (recommended by AP), which has to be reliable for aircraft use – thus the prefix. I assume the AP “grease blend” might be a repackaging, for the very tiny amounts we would normally need.

    AeroShell-33 (?) is rated for 4 years by the Transport authority. After that the lubricating oil has separated too much from the heavier grease base, making it too thick for safely operating landing gears. This would also be true for its ... untouched, unused, climate controlled “Shelf Life”, and would require disposal, by orders of the TSB.

    Read that somewhere on the SHELL OIL website, or might have been explained to me at the counter,  by the Airline Service Supplies company where I bought my CDN $20 calking tube size of it. I asked why the sales clerk insisted on marking my grease tube with the BATCH DATE  from the large carton they bought for aircraft supply. Safe, ecological Disposal,  can be a bear and certainly a hassle if I were to follow the Transportation Safety Board regulations, since I only used maybe a teaspoon from all that quantity of grease in that container.

Joe Z.

[...]

Elenillor

I decided that at my Mach1's age (second run 2007) and it's new use, slewing around the AP254 with 60# of counter weights I should re-grease it. The mount does not sit outside and is used for visual not photography so it's had a gentle existence.  Ordered re-grease package from AP earlier in the week and it arrived today.  Small jars of the spur and worm grease but  it's enough goop to do the job numerous times.

Took about 3hrs start to finish with a very deliberate approach.  It might not have really needed it.  The original grease was still in abundance but the worm grease looked a little separated. Regardless I feel better knowing it is freshly lubricated.

John

Don Anderson

John
Always good to err on the side of caution. Use only accounts for a portion of the grease degradation. Age is a factor as well. I found after re greasing my AP900 (2009 vintage) that the gear train purred like a kitten! I could tell the original grease had dried out because the gears were quite loud especially slewing at 1200X. There was also a tic tic tic sound in the gear train in the Dec axis which was gone after re greasing. Probably due to a dried lump of grease in the gears.

Don Anderson