Topics

“Lost in Space” remote resume

Jim Fakatselis

Edited

Ray,
Last week my observatory Mach1GTO got lost and the slews became corrupted, i.e. lost in space.  Found that all sky solve with Maxim resulted in an error in APCC that indicated I was too far from the position the mount thought it was pointing to.

One of the two suggestions you had recommended for that remote resync was:

 In APCC's advanced settings, you can uncheck "Prevent errant RECALs". That will allow the platesolve/sync to be used anywhere in the sky. Make sure to reenable the option afterwards.”

After  doing another all sky search in Maxim it came up with a plate solve solution and I synced this new mount position in Maxim to plate solve coordinates. This did not result in the mount being restored to the proper position.  As I tried to park it, it started driving towards the pier.

Can APCC not sync it properly through Maxim?  Or what did I do incorrectly?

I then tried your other suggestion using a camera on my observatory to bring it close to Park 3 as I could ascertain by looking at mount in camera with errant recals restored. When I parked it to current position then unparked from Park 3 it work as you said. All was good

My question is why didn’t the first method work?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Ray Gralak

My question is why didn’t the first method work?
There are at least two possibilities:

1. the mount was in a counterweight-up position when synched.

2. the synch coordinates were bad, which can happen, and is the very reason for the option to prevent errant recalls.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Hmmm…I positioned the scope myself and I know the CW was down, however, I believe I saw the CW up flag in APCC when it was positioned for all sky sync. Guess the mount thought the CW was up. Could that be it?

Thank you Ray.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> My question is why didn’t the first method work?

There are at least two possibilities:

1. the mount was in a counterweight-up position when synched.

2. the synch coordinates were bad, which can happen, and is the very reason for the option to prevent errant recalls.

-Ray Gralak

Author of PEMPro

Yes, maybe. It depends on what changed.

Was this the first time the mount was used after the time had changed? If the mount's time and timezone got out of sync by one hour in RA that could make the mount appear to be lost.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-
email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link>

Roland Christen

1) On a Mach1, if you moved the mount manually with clutches loose, the mount does not keep track of the new position that you moved to and the memory will only know the previous position until you do a sync or recal on a known object.

2) If you move the mount using the motors with a slew or with the buttons, then the mount servo will keep track of the new position.

3) if you get the mount totally lost by doing a manual move via the clutches, or by doing an errant sync, then the easiest way to find home again is to loosen both RA and Dec clutches, sent the mount to park 3 while holding the scope until the motors stop moving, and then manually placing the scope in park3 position and re-tightening the clutches. Then you are good to go and the mount knows where the scope is pointing in the sky.

On a Mach2 mount you don't have to worry about moving the scope with the clutches loose - the encoders track very movement, whether you move it manually or using the motors.

Hmmm…I positioned the scope myself and I know the CW was down, however, I believe I saw the CW up flag in APCC when it was positioned for all sky sync. Guess the mount thought the CW was up. Could that be it?

Thank you Ray.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> My question is why didn’t the first method work?

There are at least two possibilities:

1. the mount was in a counterweight-up position when synched.

2. the synch coordinates were bad, which can happen, and is the very reason for the option to prevent errant recalls.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

Jim Fakatselis

The mount is operated remotely in my observatory, no clutches could be moved. Mount was only moved with the directional arrows in APCC only.

I suspect the cause of getting lost was trying to park using TheSkyX while I had never clearly defined a park position in TSX. Pressing the Park scope option got it lost I suspect. I believe this is when it got lost. Do you think that was the cause?

I could no longer go to any park positions since they were all corrupt.  How could I resync mount remotely without going to observatory and resetting clutches at a park postion?

Thanks for your help,

Jim

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hmmm…I positioned the scope myself and I know the CW was down, however, I believe I saw the CW up flag in APCC when it was positioned for all sky sync. Guess the mount thought the CW was up. Could that be it?

Thank you Ray.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> My question is why didn’t the first method work?

There are at least two possibilities:

1. the mount was in a counterweight-up position when synched.

2. the synch coordinates were bad, which can happen, and is the very reason for the option to prevent errant recalls.

-Ray Gralak

Author of PEMPro

If you can figure out where the mount is pointing via All-Sky plate solve, then it's just a matter of doing a recal on that position using APCC. Once you do a recal on a known point in the sky, then all parks will be correct also. Use APCC exclusively for all mount functions, and use SkyX only for GoTos to the objects you wish to image. I use SkyX for click&point GoTos and for doing recals after centering a star or object, but that's about it.

Hmmm…I positioned the scope myself and I know the CW was down, however, I believe I saw the CW up flag in APCC when it was positioned for all sky sync. Guess the mount thought the CW was up. Could that be it?

Thank you Ray.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> My question is why didn’t the first method work?

There are at least two possibilities:

1. the mount was in a counterweight-up position when synched.

2. the synch coordinates were bad, which can happen, and is the very reason for the option to prevent errant recalls.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

Jim Fakatselis

Thanks for your response.

That is precisely what I tried to do. I did an All sky solve in Maxim but when I tried to sync it I had the prevent errant recals option checked and since it was so far off I just got an error.

When I unchecked the prevent errant recals it still did not re-establish pointing.

Ray Gralak suspects it may be because the counterweights were up. The only thing that seemed to work was that I had a webcam there and I tried to position as closely as I could to Park 3 via camera upon Ray’s advice. I then parked at current position, unparked from Park 3 and I could then sync. Ray did it !

My issue is that if I had no camera, there would seemed to have been no way to do re-establish proper pointing.

Would it be possible to patch APCC to allow it to sync with CW up if Prevent errant recalls is unchecked? (Provided that was the probable cause of not syncing) I know we seem to be identifying real corner cases.

Jim

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

How could I resync mount remotely without going to observatory and resetting clutches at a park postion?

If you can figure out where the mount is pointing via All-Sky plate solve, then it's just a matter of doing a recal on that position using APCC. Once you do a recal on a known point in the sky, then all parks will be correct also. Use APCC exclusively for all mount functions, and use SkyX only for GoTos to the objects you wish to image. I use SkyX for click&point GoTos and for doing recals after centering a star or object, but that's about it.

Hmmm…I positioned the scope myself and I know the CW was down, however, I believe I saw the CW up flag in APCC when it was positioned for all sky sync. Guess the mount thought the CW was up. Could that be it?

Thank you Ray.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> My question is why didn’t the first method work?

There are at least two possibilities:

1. the mount was in a counterweight-up position when synched.

2. the synch coordinates were bad, which can happen, and is the very reason for the option to prevent errant recalls.

-Ray Gralak

Author of PEMPro

Hi Jim,

Would it be possible to patch APCC to allow it to sync with CW up if Prevent errant recalls is unchecked?
(Provided that was the probable cause of not syncing) I know we seem to be identifying real corner cases.
There is nothing wrong with APCC's plate solve and recal.

I think the problem was either a bad plate-solve, or that your computer and mount had different times, because of the recent time change. This affected where the mount's flip point was and probably caused the recal to incorrectly determine the counterweight status (up or down).

Another possibility is to use APCC's homing feature.

This would work if:

1) The clutches were not released nor had slipped.
2) A Home position had been defined in APCC.

If you want to prepare for the future, please read the section in the APCC help file for Homing for more information.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=icon>

email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link>

Jim Fakatselis

Thank you Ray, that seems to be a very good answer.
I never set up the Home position with my Mach1GTO CP4 combination in APCC.
Had I done that earlier this would not have happened. My error, just good advice to others who may not have set it up either.
I also set it up through the AE tab on my AP 1100GTO with encoders.
Guess one has to make the mistake to figure out what should have been done.
Thanks for your time and responses.
Jim

Hi Jim,