Looking for 1.875" Counterweight shaft and toe protector thread size and dimensions. -

Steve M

I have a 1600 GTO on order and I am looking for the counterweight bar and toe protector thread size and dimensions.  The reason I am looking for this as I plan on modifying my Schaefer AT-9 with a 1.875"  SS shaft I picked up at my local metal supply store so that I can share the weights between my new 1600 GTO that is shipping next week and my old Schaffer AT-9.

Basically I want to machine male and female threads  to attach the bar to the mount and also add in the required female thread in the bottom of the new shaft the to attach the "Counterweight Shaft Safety Stop, One-Piece, Washerless (M12676)".

Jeffc

Interesting.

I’m sure AP has the dimensions but what I would probably do is buy a safety  stop for $35 (in stock at AP) and give it to the machinist to match.

The safety stop threads are the same as the CW shaft threads.

I suspect the length of the part that attaches to the Shaffer mount (length of threads) is dependent on what you’re working with on the DEC axis body.

Afaict it’s the same threads on the mach2 , 1100 , 1200.   I’ve been using the same safety stop with different CW shafts depending on which mount I’m using at the time. (Mostly “portable remote” here.). And I’m also using that safety stop as a “plug” for the 3 mounts when I remove the CW shaft.

-jeff

On Mar 26, 2022, at 7:51 AM, Steve M <drsreym@...> wrote:

I have a 1600 GTO on order and I am looking for the counterweight bar and toe protector thread size and dimensions.  The reason I am looking for this as I plan on modifying my Schaefer AT-9 with a 1.875"  SS shaft I picked up at my local metal supply store so that I can share the weights between my new 1600 GTO that is shipping next week and my old Schaffer AT-9.

Basically I want to machine male and female threads  to attach the bar to the mount and also add in the required female thread in the bottom of the new shaft the to attach the "Counterweight Shaft Safety Stop, One-Piece, Washerless (M12676)".

M Hambrick

Hi Steve

I measured the threads on my counterweight shaft. They are definitely not a standard size. The OD is 1.085" with 14 threads per inch. The 14 TPI is fairly common, but the 1.085" major diameter doesn't show up in any list of thread sizes. That odd size OD won't really matter if you are planning to cut the threads on a lathe.

Mike