From: "Rick Wiggins" <rickwiggins@...>
To: <ap-gto@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:27 PM
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: Leaving as GTO mount outdoors

Hi Joe,
Thanks. That is similar, but the design that I was describing only
covers the mount and is much smaller...just big enough to surround
the mount.
Thanks, Rick

--- In ap-gto@..., "Joseph Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...>
wrote:

Hi Rick,

Here is a link to the Hanna City Remote Robotic Observatory,
pics and
plans:
I think that is what you were referring to as a BOX observatory.

http://www.mtco.com/~jgunn/

Joe

Morgan Spangle <msfainc@...>

Arborvitae is the type of evergreen I'm going to use, if you google it
you'll see an image. They're nice and dense, can be bought at the
right height (about 6') and when planted about 2' apart, give a strong
privacy hedge. I'm planning to make an enclosure about 9 x 9 feet on
the inside (unlike a building, I can always trim the walls back a bit
if needed...) and with a good solid gate in a sidewall opening that I
can lock to keep curious kids and critters out. I'm thinking that I'll
plant either grass or a low mossy-type ground cover, have a nice paved
walk to the entrance and a little paved pad inside for a computer cart
I'll wheel in when using the scope. The scope will be on a tripod with
4' deep footings - less intrusive and permanent than a big slab for
the 1200 mount on a pier. I plan a round paved walkway for viewing,
with gravel under the tripod legs and the scope and tripod covered
with Telegizmos 365 covers. Should work well, and look good too.
Money saved from building a remote observatory should buy me a Prius...
Morgan

--- In ap-gto@..., "Joseph Zeglinski" <J.Zeglinski@...> wrote:

Sounds great,

What kind of hedge are you selecting - that will not harbour
mosquitoes,
etc.?
Do cedar trees discourage mosquitoes?

Joe