Topics

Leave RAPAS installed or not?

Roger Howard

What are your thoughts?  I will 99% of the time just be transporting my ATS Portable Pier with my 1100 GTO to the backyard to set up.  I will uninstall if I move it by vehicle.  Do you leave yours installed all the time or put it in a case?

Phillip H Coker <pcoker36@...>

I transport my roll-off observatory (Losmandy tripod on a Wheely-Bar) in the back of my 5th-wheel toy-hauler.  It is strapped down so that it cannot move when the rig is underway.  For travel I remove the weights and everything off the mounting plate but leave the RAPAS attached to the 1100GTO.  I also drop the mount all the way down because, invariably, I won't be setting up at the same latitude next time. So far, there has been no problems with leaving the RAPAS attached.
Phil

On Mar 6, 2021, at 11:54, cargostick@... wrote:

What are your thoughts?  I will 99% of the time just be transporting my ATS Portable Pier with my 1100 GTO to the backyard to set up.  I will uninstall if I move it by vehicle.  Do you leave yours installed all the time or put it in a case?

Dean Jacobsen

You could do it either way.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Bill Long

If you do just make sure you don't have cabling dangling around that could snag.

What are your thoughts?  I will 99% of the time just be transporting my ATS Portable Pier with my 1100 GTO to the backyard to set up.  I will uninstall if I move it by vehicle.  Do you leave yours installed all the time or put it in a case?

Woody Schlom

Depending on your cable dressing, cables can snag on the RAPAS.  So once aligned, I remove mine to reduce cable snag problems.

Woody