From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Apr 14, 2022 4:45 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Las Campanas

Hi, Rolando—

Regarding the A-P Mak at the Carnegie station on Las Campanas: After years of hoping I could finally take part in one, I’m signed up for the upcoming Sky & Telescope tour of a number of Chilean observatories in October. One of the destinations is Las Campanas. Since the participants will all be amateur astronomers, I think there would be great interest in seeing the scope and its housing, if time permits, while the tour is at Las Campanas. I’m going to bring this idea up with the editor of S&T, Peter Tyson, who will be leading the tour. If he’s open to the possibility, would you have any contacts I could suggest to him for further exploration?

—howard

Howard,

If Peter Tyson is interested, we can find out if that will be possible. There is another 1600 mount that belongs to Carnegie that is also in the same observatory. Both run unattended, so arrangements would have to be made. At the very least, we can point it out to you see the building as you pass by.

Having said all that, there are some fabulous observatories at Las Campanas that are far more interesting, not to mention the construction site for the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT). Enjoy every moment that you are there. We loved it!

Clear Skies,
Marj Christen
Astro-Physics
11250 Forest Hills Road
Machesney Park, IL 61115
Phone: 815-282-1513
www.astro-physics.com
Regarding the A-P Mak at the Carnegie station on Las Campanas: After years of hoping I could finally take part in one, I’m signed up for the upcoming Sky & Telescope tour of a number of Chilean observatories in October. One of the destinations is Las Campanas. Since the participants will all be amateur astronomers, I think there would be great interest in seeing the scope and its housing, if time permits, while the tour is at Las Campanas. I’m going to bring this idea up with the editor of S&T, Peter Tyson, who will be leading the tour. If he’s open to the possibility, would you have any contacts I could suggest to him for further exploration?

—howard

Howard Ritter

Rolando and Marge—

Thanks for the encouraging responses. I’ve emailed Peter Tyson. As you say, the available time at Las Campanas may be wall-to-wall Big Astronomy, but seeing a human-scale A-P jewel up close and personal would be interesting too. You know, the kind of thing that mortals may aspire too! Especially for me, since I’m about to become owner of an example of the same mount!

—howard