Keypad : some buttons not responding too well

michael mccann

Hi
Let me know if there are things that I can do to better resolve this, troubleshooting or answering questions. Let me describe
The “Next”, “5”, “0” buttons are “slow” or don’t respond unless I press several times. So far these buttons seem problem childs.
Is this normal wear and tear sort of issue? Is there a replacement keypad part that I can purchase and install ? Does AP repair this sort of thing? I bought the mount and keypad used so I’m seeing how the previous owner used it.

Cheers

Mike

George

Mike,

Contact me re: Keypad button issues.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

Jeff B

George, this is Jeff, not Mike.  I have one Keypad where a couple of the buttons, specifically the "S" and "> NEXT" buttons go dead on me from time to time, at the same time.  Everything else works just fine and the mount slews just fine too.  Now, I hate to admit this, but my "solution" to the buttons not responding has been to give the Keypad a sharp whack against the pier.  Then, after maybe a little "stuttering", the buttons work fine as does everything else with the Keypad.

I don't believe my "solution" is a good long term "fix".  😁

Should I route it to AP for servicing?

Jeff

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 12:14 PM George <george@...> wrote:

Mike,

Contact me re: Keypad button issues.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

George

Jeff,

Please contact me at AP.

[...]

M Hambrick

How long can we expect the keypad battery to last ? I have had mine since 2017 and never replaced the battery.

Mike

George

Mike,

It is probably fine, but I would recommend replacing it soon.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

How long can we expect the keypad battery to last ? I have had mine since 2017 and never replaced the battery.

Mike

Are there any “tell-tale” signs of a failing battery?
SteveH

Sent from Steve's iPhone

On Oct 5, 2021, at 10:42 AM, George <george@...> wrote:

Mike,

It is probably fine, but I would recommend replacing it soon.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

How long can we expect the keypad battery to last ? I have had mine since 2017 and never replaced the battery.

Mike

George

Steve,

No.   It fails and you lose your database objects info.   Stars and planets remain as calculated positions.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

How long can we expect the keypad battery to last ? I have had mine since 2017 and never replaced the battery.

Mike

Howard Hedlund

No.  Only age can give you a guesstimate.  When it fails, it will result in immediate corruption of the database.  Stars and planets will still be OK, but M, NGC, IC etc. objects will no longer have valid data.

Mag. 7 or Better Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

AP Phone: 815-282-1513

Direct Phone:  815-315-7015

www.astro-physics.com

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

How long can we expect the keypad battery to last ? I have had mine since 2017 and never replaced the battery.

Mike

Ok. Thanks, but it sounds like you don’t loose the database when you change the battery. Is that correct, and if so, why?
SteveH

Sent from Steve's iPhone

On Oct 5, 2021, at 11:00 AM, Howard Hedlund <howard@...> wrote:

No.  Only age can give you a guesstimate.  When it fails, it will result in immediate corruption of the database.  Stars and planets will still be OK, but M, NGC, IC etc. objects will no longer have valid data.

Mag. 7 or Better Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

AP Phone: 815-282-1513

Direct Phone:  815-315-7015

www.astro-physics.com

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

How long can we expect the keypad battery to last ? I have had mine since 2017 and never replaced the battery.

Mike

Geert

The battery lasts about 5 years - can be shorter, can be longer - and you do loose the star database, so you need to go through the database upload procedure after replacing the battery.  All info on the AP website. I put a little sticker on the back of the keypad with the date of battery change, then change after about 5 years or when the database gets corrupted.

Best regards,

Geert

Op di 5 okt. 2021 om 18:30 schreef Steve H <shoff535@...>:

[...]

If the battery is changed promptly, a capacitor holds the database charge for a short bit.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

How long can we expect the keypad battery to last ? I have had mine since 2017 and never replaced the battery.

Mike

Mike Dodd

On 10/5/2021 11:39 AM, M Hambrick wrote:
How long can we expect the keypad battery to last ? I have had mine
since 2017 and never replaced the battery.
I bought my 1200 used in 2008, and replaced the battery in 2018. Don't know how long the battery was in the keypad before I bought it.

--- Mike

M Hambrick

So my next question is when you expect the keypad software version 5 to be available to those with CP4 control boxes. I was thinking that it would be nice to send in my keypad to get the RA DEC REV button replaced with the new version that is compatible with the new software. Then, at the same time have the new software loaded and battery replaced.

Mike