Keypad 4.19.5 unsuccessful upload

Peter Nagy

Hello,

I've been trying to upload Keypad version 4.19.5 firmware to my Keypad that was previously version 4.19.3 but no success yet. The first two times I tried to upload Keypad version 4.19.5 to my Keypad was unsuccessful and I allowed two hours each time for uploading when it should have taken about 20 minutes according to A-P instructions.

I followed A-P "Upgrading Your Keypad to 4.19.5 - Code Only Java Keypad Loader" documentation as close as possible. I got as far as to Step #7 under "Keypad Code Load" and it stayed stuck at "Completed 20% of Code Load" as shown in first screenshot.

Here are the two screenshots of trying to upload to Keypad version 4.19.5 to my keypad.

The first screenshot showed only 20% completion of upload after two hours of trying. The second screenshot shows status of Keypad after two hours of uploading without success.

Please advise me what I could do for successful uploading of Keypad version 4.19.5. Now my Keypad is totally useless because it does not any longer boot to previous 4.19.3 version. My Keypad serial number is 3771GTO which is well above the minimum Keypad serial number of 1565GTO.

I have been successful uploading three previous versions Keypad in the past without issues since owning first run A-P1100GTO mount (October 2013). This is my first time using Java Keypad Loader and it was not successful.

Thank you,
Peter

Suresh Mohan

Peter ,
     I did that two years ago had hell , I’m trying to recall how I finally did it. If im not mistaken it was a cable issue . How do u connect to the pc ?
Suresh 

On Nov 2, 2021, at 8:29 AM, Peter Nagy <topboxman@...> wrote:

Hello,

I've been trying to upload Keypad version 4.19.5 firmware to my Keypad that was previously version 4.19.3 but no success yet. The first two times I tried to upload Keypad version 4.19.5 to my Keypad was unsuccessful and I allowed two hours each time for uploading when it should have taken about 20 minutes according to A-P instructions.

I followed A-P "Upgrading Your Keypad to 4.19.5 - Code Only Java Keypad Loader" documentation as close as possible. I got as far as to Step #7 under "Keypad Code Load" and it stayed stuck at "Completed 20% of Code Load" as shown in first screenshot.

Here are the two screenshots of trying to upload to Keypad version 4.19.5 to my keypad.

The first screenshot showed only 20% completion of upload after two hours of trying. The second screenshot shows status of Keypad after two hours of uploading without success.

Please advise me what I could do for successful uploading of Keypad version 4.19.5. Now my Keypad is totally useless because it does not any longer boot to previous 4.19.3 version. My Keypad serial number is 3771GTO which is well above the minimum Keypad serial number of 1565GTO.

I have been successful uploading three previous versions Keypad in the past without issues since owning first run A-P1100GTO mount (October 2013). This is my first time using Java Keypad Loader and it was not successful.

Thank you,
Peter

Peter Nagy

Hi Suresh,

I am using USB cable from USB port of CP4 to PC's USB port via powered USB hub . Device Manager says this port was assigned to COM 3 port.

Peter

Peter Nagy

Yes, my CP4 firmware version is P02-08.

Peter

Peter,

Give Howard a call on Tuesday for assistance.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Nagy
Sent: Monday, November 1, 2021 10:00 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Keypad 4.19.5 unsuccessful upload

Hello,

Thank you,
Peter

Peter Nagy

It's not possible for me to call with a telephone because I am deaf. I cannot use TTY because I don't have landline. TTY is not possible with cell phone.

It appears that the Keypad Loader is working up to a point and hangs at 20% completion. Is it possible my Keypad does not have enough memory space? Like I said earlier, the serial number is 3771GTO.

Would it be possible to communicate with me using e-mail? Can you send me further instructions on how to get my Keypad working again? Or would it be better if I ship the Keypad to you? The Keypad is 8 years old and it's probably due for a battery replacement.

My e-mail address is:

pnagy at sbcglobal dot net

Peter

fernandorivera3

Version 4.19.5 keypad firmware is available for download? Is this a recent development or did this happen many moons ago? I thought 4.19.3 was the current version- guess I'm wrong about this.

Fernando

Peter Nagy

Peter Nagy

Should I install CP4-P01-14 in CP4 so I can re-install keypad 4.19.3? If successful, I then can re-install VCPx-P02-08 in CP4?

Peter

Howard Hedlund

AP GTO Keypad firmware v.4.19.3 is loaded using a Windows program that you install.  It shouldn’t care whether the GTOCP4’s firmware is VCP4-P01-xx or VCP4-P02-xx.  The Java loader used with v.4.19.5 is for CP4s with P02-xx and later.

Mag. 7 or Better Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

AP Phone: 815-282-1513

Direct Phone:  815-315-7015

www.astro-physics.com

Please include this e-mail with your response.

P Consider the environment before printing this e-mail.

Sent: Tuesday, November 2, 2021 9:31
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Keypad 4.19.5 unsuccessful upload

Should I install CP4-P01-14 in CP4 so I can re-install keypad 4.19.3? If successful, I then can re-install VCPx-P02-08 in CP4?

Peter

Peter Nagy

OK. I'll re-install 4.9.13.

Peter

Peter Nagy

I was able to successfully install Keypad version 4.19.3. Whew!!!!

Shall I try installing Keypad version 4.19.5 again or should I wait? Are you in the process of investigating that there may be an issue with installing Keypad version 4.19.5?

Thanks,
Peter

Peter Nagy

Howard,

I went ahead and re-installed Keypad version 4.19.5 and it was not successful. I successfully reverted back to Keypad version 4.19.3. It could be the following reasons:

1) I didn't follow your installation procedure correctly.
2) The installation documentation procedure may be incorrect.
3) The Keypad version 4.19.5 firmware at your web site may be corrupted.
4) There may be issues with Keypad version 4.19.5 firmware.

I am going to hold off installing Keypad version 4.19.5 until others say don't have issues installing. Anyone else successfully installed Keypad version 4.19.5?

I suggest you to download Keypad version 4.19.5 from your web site to make sure the files are not corrupted and re-flash your Keypad.

Peter

Howard Hedlund

I will try to reproduce your issue, but I have 2 keypads that have been loaded with the Java loader several times during recent testing.

You can stay with 4.19.3 if you don’t mind the following: 

• Button rates are wrong for the fastest two displayed button rates.
    • Keypad will display 600X.   Button will move mount at 200X
    • Keypad will display 1200X.    Button will move mount at 600X
  • This is keypad direction buttons only.  Slews are not affected.  Other devices are not affected.

I will let you know when I know more about your loader issue.

The Java loader produces a log file that may provide me with some information.  It will be in the same folder as the program.

Mag. 7 or Better Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

www.astro-physics.com

Sent: Tuesday, November 2, 2021 14:10

I was able to successfully install Keypad version 4.19.3. Whew!!!!

Shall I try installing Keypad version 4.19.5 again or should I wait? Are you in the process of investigating that there may be an issue with installing Keypad version 4.19.5?

Thanks,
Peter

Peter Nagy

Hi Howard,

The button rates for directional buttons are minor and not terribly an issue for me. I have a bit of OCD and I always like to install the latest and greatest software/firmware. :-)

I cannot find the Java loader log file. Does the Java loader log file get erased after I closed the Java loader program?

In my case, it always hangs after 20% completion of uploading even after 4 hours running the Java uploader program. That's the best clue I can give you.

Thank you for looking into it.

Peter

Howard Hedlund

Contact me off-group, Peter, and let me make sure you have the very latest loader and program files.

Mag. 7 or Better Skies!

Howard Hedlund

Astro-Physics, Inc.

www.astro-physics.com

Sent: Tuesday, November 2, 2021 17:50

Hi Howard,

The button rates for directional buttons are minor and not terribly an issue for me. I have a bit of OCD and I always like to install the latest and greatest software/firmware. :-)

I cannot find the Java loader log file. Does the Java loader log file get erased after I closed the Java loader program?

In my case, it always hangs after 20% completion of uploading even after 4 hours running the Java uploader program. That's the best clue I can give you.

Thank you for looking into it.

Peter

Peter Nagy

To conclude this thread, there was never an issue in the first place. I don't know why both of my computers failed to upload 4.19.5 version into my Keypad the first day and suddenly the next day, it uploaded successfully at least three times using both of my computers. Case closed.

Thanks to Howard for his patience for helping me.

Peter

midmoastro

This may require a new thread but I was reading over the docs on this upgrade and trying to determine what version CP4 I have. My mount was delivered earlier this year, 2021, and in looking at APCC and connecting the AP2 driver, I see "VCP4-P02-10" in the top left hand corner. So it seems like I should be safe to upgrade, correct?
"Keypads that are used with GTOCP4 control boxes that have P02-01 firmware or later versions".

midmoastro

disregard, looks like I am good.