initialization of Mach2

prestoncheatham

I have finally received my new Mach2GTO. I read both instruction manuals, have everything installed, balanced and polar aligned. I am ready to power up for the first time.   I am unsure about where the mount should be pointed for the first initialization.

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail

Jeffc

I point mine to Polaris.

Park 3 which is (my understanding) the Home position.

Like this:

image

On May 25, 2022, at 9:08 PM, holmescheatham@... wrote:

I have finally received my new Mach2GTO. I read both instruction manuals, have everything installed, balanced and polar aligned. I am ready to power up for the first time.   I am unsure about where the mount should be pointed for the first initialization.

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail

yes, you set it at that position and then unpark from park 3

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 9:31 PM Jeffc <jeffcrilly@...> wrote:
I point mine to Polaris.

Park 3 which is (my understanding) the Home position.

Like this:

image

On May 25, 2022, at 9:08 PM, holmescheatham@... wrote:

I have finally received my new Mach2GTO. I read both instruction manuals, have everything installed, balanced and polar aligned. I am ready to power up for the first time.   I am unsure about where the mount should be pointed for the first initialization.

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail

M Hambrick

You should definitely start out the first time from Park 3 as Brian and Jeff have noted, but after you do the first-time initialization in Park 3 you may want to consider parking and unparking the mount from Park 2. If you have a portable setup where you attach the scope every time, the Park 2 position makes is a little easier to attach and remove the scope.

Mike

Chris White

Shouldn't matter. The absolute encoders always know where the mount is.

Dean Jacobsen

Edited

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 03:41 AM, Chris White wrote:
Shouldn't matter. The absolute encoders always know where the mount is.
I agree.  I'll wait to hear from more knowledgeable persons but I have never unparked my Mach2 from any park position like I used to do with may AP900.  I just set up the mount and initialize it in whatever position it happens to be in.

My setup routine is:
1. initialize the mount with APCC to one of my pre-set locations.
2. Do an initial alignment with the RAPAS.
3. Do another alignment with SharpCap.
4. Connect to TheSky and use TheSky to slew to a bright star. The star is always on the chip and pretty close to center.
5. Center the star with the crossharis in my image capture program and perform a Star Sync with TheSky.

That's it.  A lot simpler that with my AP900 because the mount already has a good idea of where it is pointing.  I just have to refine things a little after the polar alignment.

When I am done with the mount, I just turn it off.  With the AP900 on multi night trips I would park the 900 in Park3 so the mount would know where it is on the next night.  I don't have to do that with the Mach2.  I just turn it off.  I can loosen the clutches and re-balance when the mount is powered down and the Mach2 is dead-on when I start it back up.
--
Dean Jacobsen

Sébastien Doré

That is correct. The Mach2 always know where it's at. Even with clutches loose.

The only need for homing would be if you made a bad sync/recal at some point (but if you platesolve that's not likely to happen). You can then home it (which indeed sends the mount to park 3) via the AE tab in APCC or with the Keypad and you are back in business. Simple as that.

Sébastien

Roland Christen

There is no mechanical initialization required. No unparking from any parks required - the mount is ready to roll the moment you apply power. Once you connect the mount to your planetarium app using the ASCOM driver, all you need to do is slew to a star or deep sky object. The mount does the rest.

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 09:08 PM, <holmescheatham@...> wrote:

I have finally received my new Mach2GTO. I read both instruction manuals, have everything installed, balanced and polar aligned. I am ready to power up for the first time.   I am unsure about where the mount should be pointed for the first initialization.

Also, congratulations on your new mount.  You are going to love the simplicity and the precision.  Have fun!

--
Dean Jacobsen

fernandorivera3

I setup & tear down after every session; I always begin from Park 3 pointing to the NCP 🔭

Fernando

Roland Christen

With the Mach2 mount that is not necessary. You can start the mount from any position, even pointing straight down into the ground.

With the other mounts that we make, the 1100/1600 you will need to start from a known position.