IC1396 Garnet Star Nebula in Hubble Palette

Roland Christen

Also known as the Elephant Trunk

https://www.astrobin.com/g0bpv3/C/

This is the last object that I will be imaging with the 10" F6.3 Astrograph. Although the detail came out quite well, the stars were messed up by Topaz de-noise program. I may re-process this object at some point because the stars really were perfect in the original frames, but the lack of 20 to 40 hours of OIII and SII made it necessary to de-noise them.

My next scope will be a 70 lb 12" Astrograph system which will go on the Mach2 for more torture. I'm confident that the mount will handle it just fine.

Dean Jacobsen

Nice job Roland.

The actual “Garnet Star” - Mu Cephei - is one of my favorite visual objects.
--
Dean Jacobsen

It's a difficult double visually because of the brightness difference. I imaged it recently with the 10" and the secondary was easy in the 10" Mak. I have seen it visually in my 130 GT.

The actual “Garnet Star” - Mu Cephei - is one of my favorite visual objects.
--
Dean Jacobsen

Dean Jacobsen

I was just thinking that I should put Mu Cephei on my imaging list after sending my post.  It is on there now but I will probably have to wait until the new TEC140FL arrives later this year so I can have a little more magnification than the FSQ-106.
--
Dean Jacobsen