How to Re-grease a Mach1 with Auto-Adjust Motor Boxes?

Dale Ghent

It was original from 2008, so that factory grease was at least 12 years old. The worm grease was alright but the worm and spur gear grease was noticeably solidified and obviously in need of refreshing. Doing this exercise also let me discover some corrosion on one of the brass spur gear shoulder screws. All in all I learned a bit about the mount and feel pretty confident in servicing it or the 1100 that I have on order myself.

On Mar 8, 2021, at 20:00, Joseph Beyer <jcbeyer2001@gmail.com> wrote:

Dale,

How long had you run your mount before changing the grease. The original grease still looks to be in good condition.

Joe

Joseph Beyer

Thanks, mine arrived late December 2017 so it's got some time to go.

Worsel

The instructions I received with the grease kit was 1/2 page (attached).

Seems like there is something missing; although this was a couple years ago.

I got the job done with this forum and online videos anyway.

Bryan

Seb@stro

Found this a while back. It’s the auto-adjusting gearbox version. Thought it might help.

https://m.imgur.com/a/f2ab2pY

Sébastien

M Hambrick

Hi Bryan

Your 1/2 page instruction sheet looks nothing like the instructions that came with my regreasing kit. The instructions that I got with my kit are 10 pages with photos. I am not sure if I need permission from A-P to upload a scanned copy of the instructions, but I will assume that if nobody from A-P tells me not to do so, I will upload them at the end of today.

Mike

Roland Christen

Please do.

Your 1/2 page instruction sheet looks nothing like the instructions that came with my regreasing kit. The instructions that I got with my kit are 10 pages with photos. I am not sure if I need permission from A-P to upload a scanned copy of the instructions, but I will assume that if nobody from A-P tells me not to do so, I will upload them at the end of today.

Mike

George

Brian,

Contact me and I’ll email the grease instructions.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

The instructions I received with the grease kit was 1/2 page (attached).

Seems like there is something missing; although this was a couple years ago.

I got the job done with this forum and online videos anyway.

Bryan

M Hambrick

Hi Bryan. Here are the instructions:

I would like to offer one word of caution based on my former experience as an auto mechanic: The instructions mention using mineral spirits to clean off the old grease. I would recommend doing this only as a last resort because even a tiny amount of residual solvent will significantly reduce the viscosity of the grease and reduce its effectiveness. I recommend wiping off as much of the old grease as you can with a clean cloth and don't worry about the rest. You should not see any metal flakes in the old grease. If you do, you should contact Astro-Physics.

I have never regreased my 1100 mount (purchased in 2017), but I am planning to upgrade it with absolute encoders as soon as they have any available, and I will regrease it when I install the encoders.

Mike

Fernando Proietti

+1 for a video. I have a Mach1. I am outside the US and I am not mechanically wise or inspired to risk damaging the mouny. If repair is needed, it will be quite expensive to send the mount to AP and back. That is my reason asking for a video.

Regards, Fernando

Em seg., 8 de mar. de 2021 às 12:33, Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299=yahoo.com@groups.io> escreveu:

Definitely a video!

cytan

On Monday, March 8, 2021, 09:30:21 AM CST, Andrew Jones <andjones132@...> wrote:

Hi Bill.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I know you to be a very knowledgeable amateur astronomer based on your many useful and helpful post on the forum. If someone with your level expertise struggled with this re-greasing process the first time, to point of actually damaging the mount, does not give me warm and fuzzys about attempting the process myself. Given the recommendation that all owners of AP mounts should be performing this maintenance ever 2 - 5 years would indicate a strong demand for clear and concise instructions for each mount. I am sure we could all call George and have him walk us through the process step by step, but it would seem easier (for AP) if we could just get a step-by-step guide or even better a YouTube Video showing each step in detail. I am going to hold off with re-greasing my Mach1 from 2016 for now until hopefully some better instructions come along.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Andrew J

Bill Long

Not sure what the procedure is on a Mach 1, but the only mistake I made was having the motor box cover slip out from my grip and the black lead on the motor popped off. Totally avoidable problem. The rest was gravy and pretty easy.

[...]

Thanks for the upload!  They are much more useful than the one I received.

George: Thanks for the offer.  As you know, I got the file from Mike.

RE: Solvent.

I was not keen on mineral spirits just from a personal exposure perspective.  I used 99% isopropyl alcohol (IPA).  It removes solvent well AND evaporates quickly.  Since it is just one compound, rather than a mix, it should all evaporate, rather than leave a less volatile compound from the mix behind.

To be clear, IPA is also hazardous, but less so than mineral spirits.

See pics for before and after of worm wheel.

Bryan

Roland Christen

Everclear will work too and it's not hazardous Stuck out tongue winking eye

Thanks for the upload!  They are much more useful than the one I received.

George: Thanks for the offer.  As you know, I got the file from Mike.

RE: Solvent.

I was not keen on mineral spirits just from a personal exposure perspective.  I used 99% isopropyl alcohol (IPA).  It removes solvent well AND evaporates quickly.  Since it is just one compound, rather than a mix, it should all evaporate, rather than leave a less volatile compound from the mix behind.

To be clear, IPA is also hazardous, but less so than mineral spirits.

See pics for before and after of worm wheel.

Bryan

Bill Long

Bonus that you can have a shot after each motor and wheel combo is complete as you go.

Everclear will work too and it's not hazardous Stuck out tongue winking eye

Thanks for the upload!  They are much more useful than the one I received.

George: Thanks for the offer.  As you know, I got the file from Mike.

RE: Solvent.

I was not keen on mineral spirits just from a personal exposure perspective.  I used 99% isopropyl alcohol (IPA).  It removes solvent well AND evaporates quickly.  Since it is just one compound, rather than a mix, it should all evaporate, rather than leave a less volatile compound from the mix behind.

To be clear, IPA is also hazardous, but less so than mineral spirits.

See pics for before and after of worm wheel.

Bryan

Worsel

Is that before or after the Jello goes in?

Bryan

Dominique

Hi,
With my Mach2 in my observatory and travel restrictions, my 2011 Mach1 has been sleep for a few months, so, reading your discussions, it made me want and courage to revisit it. I already had a little control on the lubrication side 4 or 5 years ago but not completely and I believe only on the RA axis. I carefully watched the linked videos / photos to check the cleaning and regreasing phases to be done ... and I attacked the disassembly, separation of the 2 axes and treatment of the RA axis to begin with. I am not in the "extreme cold" zone and I have 2 types of grease at my disposal, one lithium (yellow) and one synthetic (green with MoS2). This evening I cleaned and I let the night pass before doing the lubrication, it remains to know which of the 2 greases it is better to use. On the brake part of the RA axis, which was a bit hard and which I have already cleaned and reassembled, I put a little synthetic grease and that seems to have improved things. So I will see tomorrow morning and based on your advice if necessary. As I had opened and / or dismantled the engine blocks several times, it didn't seem complicated to me ... you have to be careful with the cables.
Clear Skies
Dominique

Roland Christen

one lithium (yellow) and one synthetic (green with MoS2).
MoS2 is very bad for brass or bronze worm gears. The S2 (sulfur) corrodes these metals. Lithium is usually too thin. Try a super lube type grease without sulfur.