Topics

How to forbid anything one side of the meridian #APCC #ASCOM_V2_Driver

Frederic Jabet

Hello all,

i have this fantastic new telescope, a Skyvision Cassegrain Newton 300, mounted on my faithful AP900 with CP4.
My gear is located on a terrace that is long but not very large, only 1,20m between the wall and the guard. Basically I can point anything east, but pointing south west, although possible, requires some care as the telescope could hit the wall, or the payload on the cassegrain focuser the guard.

So basically I want the telescope to stay on the west side of the pier and NOT flip.

I'm operating in auto observation with Prism, and it has some features to limit pointing and slewing, but I'd prefer to use AP features as well. I do have APCC std version.
Inside APCC, I did find features to limit the tracking, it is working fine.
But the slewing is another story : each time I order a slew to the west side of the meridian, the mount starts a flip till the end.
So I'm wondering : is it really possible to limit the action to one side of the meridian no matter what (ASCOM slewing) using APCC ?

Thanks in advance,

Frédéric.

jimmyjujames

I have the GTOCP3 panel on my 900GTO and like to try to track the ISS from SW horizon to NE horizon with no meridian flip.
I don't use Ascom or APCC when tracking the ISS.
To do so I change the meridian delay in keypad from 0W to 6W(western horizon)
That keeps the scope on the west side for any position in the sky.
My starting point is with the scope upside down and pointing above the SW horizon.

Jimmy

Ray Gralak

Hi Frédéric,

Yes, APCC can force the mount to stay on one pier-side. The way to do this is to set up the East/West limits in the meridian limits editor.

Here’s a short video where I show how to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBUj1WgFf3k

Given the picture of your setup you should test this carefully. Setting incorrect limits could allow the scope to be slewed to a position that would cause a telescope collision with the pier, wall, or railing.

-Ray

[...]

Thanks you Jimmy and Ray !

@Jimmy I keep in mind the delay, couple with tracking limits that is one solution.
But first I'll try yours Ray, thank a lot for your answer !