How to embed a telescope and camera inside the Mach1?

Nick Iversen

I'd like to embed a QHY guidescope and camera semi-permanently inside a Mach1. That's good for polar alignment because it has better accuracy than, say, the Polemaster and being attached to the mount avoids flexure problems. So I built a tube (see image) which contains the scope and camera. When I put it inside the Mach1 it only goes part way because there is an obstruction.

This is a bit of a pain because I have to disconnect the motor cable to use it. And it sticks out which is a bit ugly and not good for travel. And I have to remove it every setup session to attach the motor cable.

I was wondering if there was a better solution. Maybe someone could design or 3D print a better tube that takes into account the Mach1 internals.

Mike Dodd

On 4/13/2022 10:22 PM, Nick Iversen wrote:
When I put it inside the Mach1 it only goes part way because
there is an obstruction.
Um.... I'm not familiar with the Mach1, but doesn't the hole go all the way through only when the mount is pointing toward Polaris?

If you plan to mount the scope permanently, I don't understand how that will work.

--- Mike

Andy Ermolli

I haven't used my Mach 1 in months but going by memory, no. The polar axis ls always unobstructed. Like the 1100.