Home position on AP1100 without encoders

S Berrada

Hi,

I would like to confirm my understanding that it is possible to set a home position on an AP1100 without encoders.
There is a part in the AP1100 manual (Section 6.9.1 Configure Home and Limits) which indicates how to do this but I want to ensure that my understanding is right.
If for any reason the mount gets disoriented (e.g. improper plate solve) or power is lost for some time, I would like to use this home position to reorient the mount by bringing it to a known position.  This is particularly valuable for remote imaging.  I have a Mach2 which has a home feature through its encoders, but my AP1100 does not have encoders and I want ensure that the homing would work for this purpose.

I would appreciate some input from other users and especially those that have used this feature with a mount that does not have encoders.

Cheers,
Sam

M Hambrick

Hi Sam

I am not sure that the Home position is available for anything but the Mach 2 mounts with the CP5 controller.

Hopefully, George or someone at A-P will correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Park 3 position is considered "Home" for non-AE mounts. If your mount gets lost, you have to manually move it to the Park 3 position, and then use the New Setup functions with the KeyPad (and maybe APCC as well) to re-estabilsh the Park 3 position..

Set the Keypad to Autoconnect = No, then power down the mount, and manually move it to Park 3. Then, when you start it back up with the with Autoconnect = No, choose 1 = New Setup, and then select Park 3.

I am sure that there is an equivalent procedure from APCC if you don't have a keypad, but I have never done it.

Mike

S Berrada

Thanks very much Mike.

I would love to hear from the Astro-Physics team because it is such an important question for anyone considering remote imaging ;  I would think that there should be a homing feature even if the AP mount does not have encoders - this is the case for other mounts such as software bisque / paramount (ie homing feature without encoders).

Someone from AP wrote a little while back the following:

 » If power is lost with any of our mounts, they record all the essential info so that when power is restored, they simply continue on.   They are never lost.  Homing is done through APCC.   If bad plate solving data is fed to the mount or a bad ReCal making the mount “lost”, then clicking the Home button will return the mount to the Home position and order will be restored to the universe.    Likewise, if your computer fails during the night, the mount will park itself.  «

I would appreciate any further input.

Thanks,
Sam

Sorder will be restored to the universe.    Likewise, if your computer fails during the night, the mount will park itself.

R Botero

Sam

It's as you quote from the Group.  If your mount loses power, the Control Box (CP3/4) will store its position so that it can resume operations "knowing" where it's at once power is restored.  If you are using APCC you can further specify a HOME position which the mount can return to/be initialised from as long as there is a connection between the mount and software.  You don't need to "home" or initialise anything; both mount and software know where they are.  There's also an option for your mount to PARK to a specified position if it loses connection to APCC (Safety Park); for example your computer reboots, there's a failure in your connection to the mount, etc.  See the APCC manual for specifics.

I have a 1100GTO (with CP3) and 1600GTO (with CP4) and neither have encoders.  Both have lost power in operation and/or have disconnected from APCC/controlling computers for different reasons over the years.  Both have PARK 2 as their default position and I have had no issues recovering from those situations.

The HOME position in APCC is most suited for permanent setups where you are unlikely to lose calibration with the night sky as, I understand it, will use the synchronised position of your mount to slew to a specific RA and DEC coordinates coincident with the HOME position.

Roberto

Ray Gralak

Hi Sam,

I would like to confirm my understanding that it is possible to set a home position on an AP1100 without encoders.
There is a part in the AP1100 manual (Section 6.9.1 Configure Home and Limits) which indicates how to do this
but I want to ensure that my understanding is right.
If for any reason the mount gets disoriented (e.g. improper plate solve) or power is lost for some time, I would like
to use this home position to reorient the mount by bringing it to a known position. This is particularly valuable for
remote imaging. I have a Mach2 which has a home feature through its encoders, but my AP1100 does not have
encoders and I want ensure that the homing would work for this purpose.
Yes, you can set an arbitrary home position for non-encoder mounts. However, the Home position will be lost if you loosen the mount's clutches and move the scope because the mount will be unaware of the scope's position change. So, in that case, you should reestablish a Home position again in APCC. The procedure is simple and very quick. See the APCC help file for directions.

-Ray

S Berrada

Thank you very much Ray and Roberto - that is valuable information.

  • It’s good to know that in the event of a power loss or mount disorientation, it is possible  with APCC to go to a defined home position where the mount can be re-initialized (as long as the clutches are not loosened).

I will test these features (home position and safety park).

Thanks
Sam