High RMS values with PHD2

Peter Bresler

Last night using my 1200, Planewave 12.5 with an OAG I was getting such high RMS values that I could not take images. The guide star was bouncing all over the place. I checked balance. polar alignment, power cycled the mount, recalibrated, ran guiding assistant, to no avail. The conditions seemed good. Advice?

Hi Peter

you might be better off asking this question in the PHD user forums, but in either case you would need to upload your guidelogs to see what was going on

Brian

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Peter Bresler

https://openphdguiding.org/logs/dl/PHD2_logs_wkhU.zip

Here is the link for the log. I see you also post on PHD. To tell you the truth, I had to mark notifications from that forum as spam, because they were coming through constantly, and I was unable to reset the notification.

In any case somehow I got things back to normal last night, but I am not sure what caused the problem, and what fixed it.

Christopher Erickson

NEVER mark messages from Groups.io as SPAM. That creates massive headaches for many other users, for many group moderators and also for Groups.io in general.

MUCH better to seek Groups.io customer support if you can't figure out how to modify your notifications settings.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 8:25 AM Peter Bresler via groups.io <PABresler=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
https://openphdguiding.org/logs/dl/PHD2_logs_wkhU.zip

Here is the link for the log. I see you also post on PHD. To tell you the truth, I had to mark notifications from that forum as spam, because they were coming through constantly, and I was unable to reset the notification.

In any case somehow I got things back to normal last night, but I am not sure what caused the problem, and what fixed it.

Hi Peter

It looks to me like maybe your mount was slipping in alt? there appeared to be substantial polar misalignment in your setup

looking at your "before runs" that were working, you can see most of the corrections are in one direction ie polar alignment is off:
pier side east
image.png
pier side west
image.png
then your guidestar degraded and was lost

Also during your many attempts at calibration, DEC did not appear to be responsive, maybe a bad cable there?

even after a successful recalibration, your PA looked still substantially off. in the second guidelog things seemed better

you might do a guiding assistant run after your calibration and measure polar alignment, as well as get other recommendations for your guiding settings? you only need 2-3 minutes for that.

Brian

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 10:25 AM Peter Bresler via groups.io <PABresler=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
https://openphdguiding.org/logs/dl/PHD2_logs_wkhU.zip

Here is the link for the log. I see you also post on PHD. To tell you the truth, I had to mark notifications from that forum as spam, because they were coming through constantly, and I was unable to reset the notification.

In any case somehow I got things back to normal last night, but I am not sure what caused the problem, and what fixed it.

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Peter Bresler

Edited

Did no know I did that! Navigating all these forums can be difficult. Its not always that easy to post a message.

Here is the link from last night. There was one episode again when the mount went awry. I also was not able to calibrate with the OAG at native focal length on the Planewave, but that is another issue. I wound up using a guide scope

https://openphdguiding.org/logs/dl/PHD2_logs_Ryge.zip

Peter Bresler

Edited

I did not check the internal mount cables....will do. Things were pretty much all right last night.