High Res Planetary imaging with the AP1100

Rouz

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to share a few images taken with the AP1100 and C14 at about 0.1 arcseconds/pixel.

The planets were tracked for several hours and lots of data was recorded with the best frames stacked and derotated.

Rouz

Some more of Jupiter:

Thomas Giannaccini

Those are amazing

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 1:40 PM Rouz <rbidshahri@...> wrote:
Some more of Jupiter:

--
CN: HasAnyoneSeenMyNeblua

Roland Christen

Those are really great. I assume you used a small Cmos color camera?

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Sep 24, 2021 2:40 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] High Res Planetary imaging with the AP1100

Hi everyone, 

Just wanted to share a few images taken with the AP1100 and C14 at about 0.1 arcseconds/pixel.

The planets were tracked for several hours and lots of data was recorded with the best frames stacked and derotated.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Robert Chozick

Wow.  Incredible. 

Roland, you need to come up with a telescope the gives views like that 😀

Robert 

On Sep 24, 2021, at 2:41 PM, Thomas Giannaccini <tgiann3@...> wrote:

Those are amazing

Some more of Jupiter:

--

Karen Christen

Wow!  Gorgeous shots!

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Rouz
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2021 2:41 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] High Res Planetary imaging with the AP1100

Some more of Jupiter:

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

dvjbaja

These are amazing.  How different Jupiter looked one year ago.  

jg

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 12:41 PM Thomas Giannaccini <tgiann3@...> wrote:
Those are amazing

Some more of Jupiter:

--

Bill Long

Rouz's planetary images are always wicked good. 🙂 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Rouz <rbidshahri@...>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2021 12:40 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

Some more of Jupiter:

Dale Ghent

2.9um pixels so I'm thinking either a IMX290 or IMX462 chip. I'll bet it's the latter for its NIR sensitivity when used with a CH4 filter.

Amazing images for sure and at not even half-way up in the sky for him. I wish I had seeing like that.

On Sep 24, 2021, at 15:45, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Those are really great. I assume you used a small Cmos color camera?

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Sep 24, 2021 2:40 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] High Res Planetary imaging with the AP1100

Hi everyone,

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Jeff B

Wicked awesome like you read about.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 3:58 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:
2.9um pixels so I'm thinking either a IMX290 or IMX462 chip. I'll bet it's the latter for its NIR sensitivity when used with a CH4 filter.

Amazing images for sure and at not even half-way up in the sky for him. I wish I had seeing like that.

> On Sep 24, 2021, at 15:45, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Those are really great. I assume you used a small Cmos color camera?
>
> Rolando
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rouz <rbidshahri@...>
> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> Sent: Fri, Sep 24, 2021 2:40 pm
> Subject: [ap-gto] High Res Planetary imaging with the AP1100
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Just wanted to share a few images taken with the AP1100 and C14 at about 0.1 arcseconds/pixel.
>
> The planets were tracked for several hours and lots of data was recorded with the best frames stacked and derotated.
>
> --
> Roland Christen
> Astro-Physics
>

Luca Marinelli

Excellent detail, Rouz! Really fantastic images.

Luca 

On Sep 24, 2021, at 4:04 PM, Jeff B via groups.io <mnebula946@...> wrote:

Wicked awesome like you read about.

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 3:58 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2021, at 15:45, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Those are really great. I assume you used a small Cmos color camera?
>
> Rolando
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rouz <rbidshahri@...>
> To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
> Sent: Fri, Sep 24, 2021 2:40 pm
> Subject: [ap-gto] High Res Planetary imaging with the AP1100
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Just wanted to share a few images taken with the AP1100 and C14 at about 0.1 arcseconds/pixel.
>
> The planets were tracked for several hours and lots of data was recorded with the best frames stacked and derotated.
>
> --
> Roland Christen
> Astro-Physics
>

Rouz

Thank you all, for the kind words.

Had I known you  guys enjoyed planetary images, I would have posted them sooner :)

Yes all these are with the ASI290mm. I used a PIerro Astro ADC to counter some of the effects of the low attitude.

I used the excellent AP barlow at 1.8x to 2x depending on seeing. The C14 was modified a bit with extensive insulation, internal flocking, mirror locks and an external focuser. 

There was a lot of data gathered to get one good image. Seeing isn't as good as one would think but it's more of a numbers game. Its typically some 300k to 500k frames per night but there would be many nights that result in no useable data.

Rouz

Rouz

On exceptional nights, you can get the polar hexagon with IR filters and RGB data.

This is probably my favorite of Saturn.

Roland Christen

Yes all these are with the ASI290mm
That's a mono camera, so you employ filters for color. Do you change filters every few seconds or how long between each filter?

Your seeing must be excellent. Around here I cannot get this quality of image with larger apertures. A C14 is almost totally useless, my 17" Astrograph produces mush and the best images seem to come with my 10" Mak or an 8" refractor. The best seeing I have ever experienced was in the Florida Keys and at the tip of Baja California in Mexico. Both sites are surrounded by water and have laminar air flow.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Sep 24, 2021 3:52 pm

Thank you all, for the kind words.

Had I known you  guys enjoyed planetary images, I would have posted them sooner :)

Yes all these are with the ASI290mm. I used a PIerro Astro ADC to counter some of the effects of the low attitude.

I used the excellent AP barlow at 1.8x to 2x depending on seeing. The C14 was modified a bit with extensive insulation, internal flocking, mirror locks and an external focuser. 

There was a lot of data gathered to get one good image. Seeing isn't as good as one would think but it's more of a numbers game. Its typically some 300k to 500k frames per night but there would be many nights that result in no useable data.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Rouz

Edited

Roland,

Yes its 60s per filter, and that's RGB-RGB-RGB on loop for a few hours.

You have to use an ADC even with a mono camera.

You'll need autostakkert3 to pick the best 20 to 30% of the frames to stack each 60s batch  (about 6000 frames for each 60s).

And Winjupos to derotate and stack the already stacked 60s frames (complex).

Rouz

Funny you should mention Florida, I was asked to design a system for the Nasa center there and put together something that should work well with a similar imaging train. Just finished it after several months of work and is being shipped of soon.

Its using the AP 2x barlow.

Rouz

Its with the CDK20 and 2 refractors for solar and DSO live streaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfqWWxE77CY

Roland Christen

Well, you're way ahead of me for advanced planetary imaging. I do have a few good images of Saturn with my 10" Mak when the planet was higher in the sky. I'll see if I can dig them up and post if I can find them.

I sure wish I could get decent images out of our 17", but the skies just won't co-operate here.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Sep 24, 2021 4:21 pm

Roland,

Yes its 60s per filter, and that's RGB-RGB-RGB on loop for a few hours.

You have to use an ADC even with a mono camera.

You'll need autostakkert3 to pick the best 20 to 30% of the frames to stack each 60s batch  (about 600 frames each 60s).

And Winjupos to derotate and stack the already stacked 60s frames (complex).

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Rouz

Yes the main challenge is trying to find good frames that the atmosphere hasn't turned to mush!

Also, when you have a lot of frames and very high SNR, deconvolution works like magic. But you'll need a lot of data for it to work well. Derotation is another key. Without it you are limited to a couple of minutes because of the planet's rotation. Even 3 minutes x 6000 = 18,000 frames, when you pick the best ones it isn't much data to work with.