Topics

Help with "VPort2 / Fault / Sync Target: Valid Alt/Az, RA/Dec, HA/Dec has not been received!" errors? #APCC

Rodolphe

Hello
Since I installed APCC Std update v1.8.8.14 (which was working wonderfully well just before), I systematically get comm errors leading to fail capture sequences in SGP.
Slewing works fine.
Centering always fail (now). This is the error that shows on screen:
"VPort2 / Fault / Sync Target: Valid Alt/Az, RA/Dec, HA/Dec has not been received!"
Tried to remove the virtual ports, reinstalled them, but now the AP ASCOM driver can't find them anymore.
Note sure a Windows update that happened just before (or after) I updated APCC didn't also screwed my installation.
Happy to share logs if requested.
Should I remove APCC and the ASCOM driver altogether, and reinstall?
Any other options?
Thanks for your help.
KR
Rodolphe

Ray Gralak

Hi Rodolphe,

> Since I installed APCC Std update v1.8.8.14 (which was working wonderfully well just before), I systematically get

> comm errors leading to fail capture sequences in SGP.

Check your connection options match the mount and driver settings in APPCC in this screen shot:

-Ray

Rodolphe

Hi Ray
Confirmed. This is my standard setting in APCC, which has not changed for months:

Additionally, the virtual ports seem created and ready, from the APCC status bar.

However, the ASCOM driver fails connecting to either (COM20 or 21)

Indeed, a direct connection to the mount succeeds:

The com port issue is obviously confirmed by APJog, for instance:

I can't think of anything blocking access to the COM20/21 ports.
I'm puzzled!
Many thanks in advance,
KR
Rodolphe

Rodolphe

Update:
I went ahead and uninstalled APCC, the V2 driver. I "repaired" ASCOM. Reinstalled the driver then APCC.
The unininstall does not seem to remove everything though: all my previous parameters were reloaded - maybe not a concern.
Anyways, the driver keeps failing to connect to the mount through the virtual ports :(
I'm out of ideas at this point.

Ray Gralak

Rodolphe,

I went ahead and uninstalled APCC, the V2 driver. I "repaired" ASCOM. Reinstalled the driver then APCC.
The unininstall does not seem to remove everything though: all my previous parameters were reloaded - maybe
not a concern.
Unfortunately, I could have told you that was going to be a waste of time. :-(

I see you are using the old firmware. Please update your firmware to the latest version, VCP4-P02-08.

I can't tell from just your screenshots what's going on, so you can you use APCC's log zipper (not the same as the AP V2 ASCOM driver's log zipper!) to zip just the last couple days of APCC and ASCOM logs. Please post a dropbox (or other) link to the logs.

-Ray

I went ahead and uninstalled APCC, the V2 driver. I "repaired" ASCOM. Reinstalled the driver then APCC.
The unininstall does not seem to remove everything though: all my previous parameters were reloaded - maybe
not a concern.
Anyways, the driver keeps failing to connect to the mount through the virtual ports :(
I'm out of ideas at this point.

Rodolphe

Hi Ray,
Firstly, I appreciate your answers coming in on a Sunday :)
Unfortunately, I could have told you that was going to be a waste of time. :-(
--> No worries. I'll update the firmware tomorrow, I have a session running right now (Switzerland, CET).

You will also find the logs here - just took today's, there are many failed attempts in there.
Many thanks for your investigation, and honestly don't rush it, this is not urgent, I can still survive ;)
Kind regards,
Rodolphe

Ray Gralak

Rodolphe,

The ASCOM COM port is set to -1 according to the logs, which, of course, does not exist!

The problem is that your ap.ini file is blank. Any idea how that might have happened? Uninstalling the driver and APCC will not touch the settings files, so either someone deleted the file, or there is a file permissions issue.

I suggest you find and delete the ap.ini file, start APCC, and click the tiny "Now" button in APCC's connection settings, which will setup and configure the driver to properly use APCC and its virtual ports.

You will also find the logs here <https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvO2KZoP803hossFTkwNObsg_sttqw?e=ZT9XTJ> - just
took today's, there are many failed attempts in there.
Many thanks for your investigation, and honestly don't rush it, this is not urgent, I can still survive ;)
Kind regards,
Rodolphe

Rodolphe

Edited

Hi Ray, found it, 0 bytes. Don't know what happened :(
I have renamed it and proceeded as you suggested.
I keep running into the same issue (Driver connects directly, now with the updated firmware); the ap.ini does not seem to regenerate, see below.

I was suspecting some sort of folder protection induced by Windows Security/Device security settings - but nothing particular set there.
In particular, the empty ap.ini file has no specific access rights or attributes set. I could rename it without any warning.
No idea of what's going on!

Rodolphe

Edited

Hi again,

OK, solved it!

Your hint about ASCOM triggered some thoughts.
Uninstalled V2 driver and APCC.
I reinstalled ASCOM which fired up a warning about Ransomware protection which is not compatible with ASCOM at this time.
  1. Disabled that windows "feature,"
  2. installed (repaired) ASCOM
  3. Installed the V2 driver
  4. Installed APCC
  5. Launched APCC
  6. pressed the "now" button
  7. Launched the V2 driver ASCOM setup
  8. Connect through IP address --> success (as before)
  9. Connect through virtual ports --> SUCCESS !!!
Of note: ran a deep search on my disk, the ap.ini file doesn't seem to exist on my system - is it a problem?

Lessons learned: be cautious with Microsoft's feature or security updates!