Help With APPM and Dome Slewing/Camera Image Not In Sync

Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>

Hi,

Trying to use APPM for a mapping model but there is too much delay between the time the telescope slews to a new position (and the camera starts taking an image) and the dome rotates to that position - so I end up taking a pic of the inside of the dome and of course plate solving fails.

I made a short video of the problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6pbx_Mq-yY

Ray Gralak

Hi Tony,

You have several options you can try:

1) You can use an intermediate ASCOM dome driver like "ASCOM Dome Control", that APPM can poll to determine if the slew has completed. If you do this, configure the dome control method in APPM to use the passive method as shown in this screenshot:

2) On APPM's Measurement Points tab, you can select "Hour Angle" as the Point Ordering Strategy.  This will minimize the required dome movements.

3) On APPM's Run tab, you can enable the checkbox "Pause after Each Slew," which will allow the dome time to finish a move. The drawback is that you will have to manually continue after each point.

-Ray Gralak

Hi Ray,

Thanks, I’ve set it up to use “ASCOM Device Hub” (the rebirth of POTH) as the Dome controller and changed the Point Ordering Strategy to “Hour Angle”.

So far the dome is moving much more in sync with the scope – so looks pretty good.

Many thanks.

Tony

1) You can use an intermediate ASCOM dome driver like "ASCOM Dome Control", that APPM can poll to determine if the slew has completed. If you do this, configure the dome control method in APPM to use the passive method as shown in this screenshot:

2) On APPM's Measurement Points tab, you can select "Hour Angle" as the Point Ordering Strategy.  This will minimize the required dome movements.

3) On APPM's Run tab, you can enable the checkbox "Pause after Each Slew," which will allow the dome time to finish a move. The drawback is that you will have to manually continue after each point.

-Ray Gralak

Okay, all is not well.

Everything appears to be working correctly:

  • clear sky - yes;
  • well focused - yes;
  • dome/telescope in sync - yes;
  • plate solves working - yes;
But, every image fails in APPM?????

The only thing I changed (apart from what I mentioned in my above post) is that I upgraded APCC Pro and the V2 driver.

Why are the solves failing when it all appears to be working properly??

Ray Gralak

Scroll to the right in the APPM grid to read the reason for the failures. You may need to setup all-sky plate solves as a backup.

Also, make sure you are using APCC 1.8.4.1 since you are using an ASCOM camera.

-Ray Gralak

Everything appears to be working correctly:

* clear sky - yes;
* well focused - yes;
* dome/telescope in sync - yes;
* plate solves working - yes;

But, every image fails in APPM?????

The only thing I changed (apart from what I mentioned in my above post) is that I upgraded APCC Pro and the V2
driver.

Why are the solves failing when it all appears to be working properly??

Tony Benjamin <tonybenjamin@...>

Edited

The message I was getting was "Maximum Plate Solve Time Exceeded". It was set to 10 sec, so I upped that to 45 sec and all looks good again...I think :)

I noticed that the Dec reading during the APPM run is "0" when the CW is up and "7.0" when the CW is down...is that normal?

Ray Gralak

Hi Tony,

I noticed that the Dec reading during the APPM run is "0" when the CW is up and "7.0" when the CW is down...is
that normal?
I don't know what you mean by this. Your screenshot is too small to see any detail.

-Ray Gralak