Help Parking AP 900 in TheSky #ASCOM_V2_Driver

Bob Gillette

I run my AP900/CP3 setup from MaxIM DL 5.24 and TheSky6 (yes, I know.) All worked fine until I decided to download the  current AP driver 5.3010 and the current ASCOM plugin for TheSky5/6, V5.0.04.

MaxIM does now talk to TheSky and everybody talks to the mount. But...in TheSky/Telescope/Options, the menus to set tracking rates and to park the scope have now disappeared.  Yes, I have specified in the AP driver setup utility that the mount should start and end at Park 1.

But I can no longer find a. command anywhere to actually park the scope. (Or to set tracking rates, which is useful as I do both DSO and linear/planetary imaging.

How to fix this?

Thanks, Bob Gillette

John Shutz

This probably doesn't help with your issue, I have an undated AP document that advises the previous Park 1 position has been relegated to obsolete status and replaced by the new Park 4 position.  This has something to do with lessening the chance of contact between the scope and pier using the Park 1 position which would often slew under the horizon after a start up from park.  Park 4 has the same advantages as Park 1, but minimizes any lower than the horizon slews.  However, according to the document, Park 1 has not been deleted, AP advises you could still use it but do so with caution.  That tells me Park 1 is still an active option just like the other park positions and your problem doesn't relate to the AP advisory I mentioned.  I wonder if APCC has any influence here? You would expect the AP driver setup utility would dictate things, who's the boss?

[ap-gto] Help Parking AP 900 in TheSky #ASCOM_V2_Driver #ASCOM_V2_Driver

I run my AP900/CP3 setup from MaxIM DL 5.24 and TheSky6 (yes, I know.) All worked fine until I decided to download the  current AP driver 5.3010 and the current ASCOM plugin for TheSky5/6, V5.0.04.

MaxIM does now talk to TheSky and everybody talks to the mount. But...in TheSky/Telescope/Options, the menus to set tracking rates and to park the scope have now disappeared.  Yes, I have specified in the AP driver setup utility that the mount should start and end at Park 1.

But I can no longer find a command anywhere to actually park the scope. (Or to set tracking rates, which is useful as I do both DSO and linear/planetary imaging.

How to fix this?

Thanks, Bob Gillette

Bob Gillette

Thanks, John. I've also read that.  Park 1 has never been a problem for me, but I'd happily go with Park 4 if something gave me any park options.  (I parked the scope today with the handset, but that's so... manual.)

CS, Bob

Don Anderson

Bob
I have an almost identical setup. Mine is: AP900GOTO CP3, The Sky6 serious astronomer, MaximDL6.11, AP Ascom driver ver 5.30.1. I haven't updated the Sky Ascom plug in for a couple of years but I don't believe it has changed for several years. You mention that in The Sky/Telescope/Options there is no longer a menu to set tracking rates and park options. I have never seen those options in The Sky. All I get for choices is "focus control and slew" .I use the AP Ascom driver to set the park position and tracking rate.

With regard to using Park1, AP discourages it's use because if your computer or hand controller clock is off by only a few seconds, a park1 command can send the scope diving under the pier. I personally have not had a problem with that since I keep the CP3 clock, computer clock and hand controller clock in sync. Park 4 is pretty much the same and is safer to use. I use Park 3 pretty much all the time now.
As I said above, you can do all your park options and tracking rate setting through the AP driver.
Hope this helps

Don Anderson

On Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 03:20:38 p.m. MDT, Bob Gillette via groups.io <tekic545@...> wrote:

I run my AP900/CP3 setup from MaxIM DL 5.24 and TheSky6 (yes, I know.) All worked fine until I decided to download the  current AP driver 5.3010 and the current ASCOM plugin for TheSky5/6, V5.0.04.

MaxIM does now talk to TheSky and everybody talks to the mount. But...in TheSky/Telescope/Options, the menus to set tracking rates and to park the scope have now disappeared.  Yes, I have specified in the AP driver setup utility that the mount should start and end at Park 1.

But I can no longer find a. command anywhere to actually park the scope. (Or to set tracking rates, which is useful as I do both DSO and linear/planetary imaging.

How to fix this?

Thanks, Bob Gillette

Ray Gralak

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately, Sky6 has very little support for ASCOM, and it may not support the ASCOM Park operation. However, you can park the mount from the AP V2 ASCOM driver.

-Ray

I run my AP900/CP3 setup from MaxIM DL 5.24 and TheSky6 (yes, I know.) All worked fine until I decided to
download the current AP driver 5.3010 and the current ASCOM plugin for TheSky5/6, V5.0.04.

MaxIM does now talk to TheSky and everybody talks to the mount. But...in TheSky/Telescope/Options, the menus
to set tracking rates and to park the scope have now disappeared. Yes, I have specified in the AP driver setup
utility that the mount should start and end at Park 1.

But I can no longer find a. command anywhere to actually park the scope. (Or to set tracking rates, which is useful
as I do both DSO and linear/planetary imaging.

How to fix this?

Thanks, Bob Gillette

Bob Gillette

Ray,

Until this morning when I installed the new AP driver, TheSky included setting tracking rates and parking in positions 1, 2, or 3 in its Telescope/Options menu.  To my surprise, these options disappeared after installing the new AP driver.  All I see there now, as Don notes below, are Focus Control and Slew, for which I have no need.

I did call up the driver window, set Park 1 down in the lower left corner and clicked OK. Nothing happened.

Had to go outside and use the handset to park the scope.

Don, thanks for your comments. Happy to use Park 4 if something will activated it.

Bob

Ray Gralak

Bob,

I did call up the driver window, set Park 1 down in the lower left corner and clicked OK. Nothing happened.
Nothing should happen immediately because a popup window should show a warning that you should not use Park 1. Parking won't start unless you accept that window.

If you didn't see that warning window then maybe it popped up in an area of the screen where you didn't notice it, or the park button was not fully clicked.

-Ray

Until this morning when I installed the new AP driver, TheSky included setting tracking rates and parking in
positions 1, 2, or 3 in its Telescope/Options menu. To my surprise, these options disappeared after installing the
new AP driver. All I see there now, as Don notes below, are Focus Control and Slew, for which I have no need.

I did call up the driver window, set Park 1 down in the lower left corner and clicked OK. Nothing happened.

Had to go outside and use the handset to park the scope.

Don, thanks for your comments. Happy to use Park 4 if something will activated it.

Bob

Don Anderson

Bob
The pop up warning window may be off your monitor. Do you have a dual monitor setup? Sometimes if you happen to be using only one of the screens in a dual monitor setup, some pop ups won’t show because windows is still trying to place them on the inactive screen. I had that problem in Maxim.
The park features in the driver have always been there and have worked.
Stick with it you will get it figured out😁

On Thursday, March 18, 2021, 8:28 AM, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:

Bob,

> I did call up the driver window, set Park 1 down in the lower left corner and clicked OK. Nothing happened.

Nothing should happen immediately because a popup window should show a warning that you should not use Park 1. Parking won't start unless you accept that window.

If you didn't see that warning window then maybe it popped up in an area of the screen where you didn't notice it, or the park button was not fully clicked.

-Ray

Bob Gillette

Don, Ray, thanks for your continuing advice. Soon as it stops raining I'll go at it again.  I use a single monitor, but the warning window might have popped up under something else. I have seen it before.

Thx, Bob

Bob Gillette

So, I've found my way to the AP V2 5.30 driver manual.  It mentions and explains a "handbox window" that seems to be an on-screen version of the handset.  This could be very useful. But I see no way to activate such a window. It's not listed with other driver options like the jog utility and has not appeared magically on my screen.

Does it matter that I'm using Windows 7?

Bob

So, I've found my way to the AP V2 5.30 driver manual. It mentions and explains a "handbox window" that seems to
be an on-screen version of the handset. This could be very useful. But I see no way to activate such a window. It's
not listed with other driver options like the jog utility and has not appeared magically on my screen.

Does it matter that I'm using Windows 7?

Bob

Bob Gillette

Ray,

Thanks for the link. It takes me to the very image of an on-screen handset that I found in the AP v5.30 driver help menu. But it's only a PNG image of a handset. How does one invoke an actual operational handset window?

Meanwhile, while imaging last night, I discovered that the Recalibration function has disappeared from my installed version of TheSky6.  I now have only the Sync option when centering on a star or other target, though in the driver setup I did check convert Sync to Recal.

I have to say all was well before I decided to update my V 5.06.00 driver. Would love to restore it. I violated the rule, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bob

Ray Gralak

Hi Bob,

> Thanks for the link. It takes me to the very image of an on-screen handset that I found in the AP v5.30 driver help

> menu.

Yes, the link I gave is exactly the same information as in the driver help.

> But it's only a PNG image of a handset. How does one invoke an actual operational handset window?

If you scroll down, it shows you how to configure the handset window to open automatically when the driver is activated by an ASCOM client application. Is this not what you want to do?

Also, the first section in the “HandBox Window” folder is “System Tray Icon”. From there you can immediately open the handset window and perform other things.

Here's a screen shot. If this is not what you need, let me know.

-Ray

Ray Gralak

Meanwhile, while imaging last night, I discovered that the Recalibration function has disappeared from my installed
version of TheSky6. I now have only the Sync option when centering on a star or other target, though in the driver
setup I did check convert Sync to Recal.
I forget to answer this. The driver will by default convert a TheSky6 Sync to a RCAL.

-Ray

Thanks for the link. It takes me to the very image of an on-screen handset that I found in the AP v5.30 driver help
menu. But it's only a PNG image of a handset. How does one invoke an actual operational handset window?

Meanwhile, while imaging last night, I discovered that the Recalibration function has disappeared from my installed
version of TheSky6. I now have only the Sync option when centering on a star or other target, though in the driver
setup I did check convert Sync to Recal.

I have to say all was well before I decided to update my V 5.06.00 driver. Would love to restore it. I violated the rule,
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Bob

Joe Zeglinski

Ray,

   Just to be clear,  I think that was a user resettable option checkbox, so should confirm it anyway in the AP ASCOM  driver.
Joe

> Meanwhile, while imaging last night, I discovered that the Recalibration function has disappeared from my installed
> version of TheSky6.  I now have only the Sync option when centering on a star or other target, though in the driver
> setup I did check convert Sync to Recal.

I forget to answer this. The driver will by default convert a TheSky6 Sync to a RCAL.

-Ray

Bob Gillette

All, thank you fur your inputs. Problem now basically solved, and it was unrelated to Ray's AP driver.

In TheSky6 Settings, I had changed the mount chooser from AP GTO Equatorial Mount to Telescope API, at what I took to be guidance from the ASCOM website.  Have now changed chooser back to AP GTO, and the missing options in TheSky6 -- setting tracking rates, park, and recalibration -- have now reappeared.

Question remains: does the AP driver 5.30.10 (which I have still installed) provide an operational window for tracking rates and park, including Park 4? In my restored TheSky, I still have only Park 1, 2 and 3.

Bob

Ray Gralak

Hi Bob,

Question remains: does the AP driver 5.30.10 (which I have still installed) provide an operational window for
tracking rates and park, including Park 4? In my restored TheSky, I still have only Park 1, 2 and 3.
Yes, the ASCOM driver has Park 4 and Park 5. However, by setting TheSky to use AP GTO Equatorial Mount, you have circumvented using the ASCOM driver. However, you could connect disconnect from TheSky and connect an ASCOM client application to the AP V2 ASCOM driver just to park your mount.

-Ray

All, thank you fur your inputs. Problem now basically solved, and it was unrelated to Ray's AP driver.

In TheSky6 Settings, I had changed the mount chooser from AP GTO Equatorial Mount to Telescope API, at what I
took to be guidance from the ASCOM website. Have now changed chooser back to AP GTO, and the missing
options in TheSky6 -- setting tracking rates, park, and recalibration -- have now reappeared.

Question remains: does the AP driver 5.30.10 (which I have still installed) provide an operational window for
tracking rates and park, including Park 4? In my restored TheSky, I still have only Park 1, 2 and 3.

Bob

Bob Gillette

Thank you, Ray.  What ASCOM client application would work?

Bob

Ray Gralak

Hi Bob,

Thank you, Ray. What ASCOM client application would work?
Any ASCOM client would work, but the AP V2 driver comes with the AP Jog utility, which would be a good choice.

-Ray