Topics

Help! My AP1100AE is lost

Rick Darden

Hello All,

I've had the AE's installed for 2 weeks now and last night the scope was not pointing at its target. It was off by approx 20 degrees in RA. I tried a plate solve and it failed. I assume I was too far away using the plate solve settings I had. So I did a Sync and that made the mount think it was in a crazy orientation with a negative Dec. I did not want to slew anywhere so I manually slewed back to its park position using the telescope controls in APCC and called it a night.

I never set a home position in the AE tab. If I did, I assume this would have fixed everything.

The scope it at a remote observatory and I can't make manual adjustments any time soon.

Is there a solution for me where that does not involve loosening the cutches and manually moving the scope? Can I delete the coordinates in the CP4 and input the coordinates of my park position? Is there another procedure?

I'm hesitant to start it up and initialize because I am not sure what direction it will move. I do have cams in the observatory and can monitor it and if it starts going in a dangerous direction, I can stop the slew. But right now, I do not want to touch it until I get some expert advise.

I'd appreciate any assist here. Thank you.

Rick Darden.

Seb@stro

Hi Rick,

I can hardly call myself an expert (as you seek for expert advice) but have a look at this thread if you haven't :

If you can see the mount and slowly slew it to a known park position (e.g. park 3) by eyeballing through your webcam, park at current position and then unpark from that known park position, it seems it might work...

There might be an even easier way since you have encoders (I don't yet, so can't help there) unless they are the very cause of your issue. Roland / others will probably chime in on this anyway...

Regards,
Sébastien

[...]

Eric Claeys

Use the cameras to move the mount to Park 3, then park at current location, then unpark from Park 3.  That should get you close enough to do a plate solve.
Then set home position in the AE tab.

Eric

Rick Darden

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 08:48 AM, Seb@stro wrote:
Hi Sébastien

Rick Darden

Hi Sébastien,

That threads seems to have relevant info there. Tonight, I'm going to drill down on this and get it fixed. I will try your way (and Eric concurs) and also what is recommended in the thread you linked if I have no luck. Much appreciate you responses.

Rick Darden

Eric, I always park in position 5 and it is there now. I assume I can use that instead of only park position 3?

Roland Christen

Wrong use of a sync can get your mount lost nicely. Sync should never be used if you don't know where the mount is pointing. The whole idea of sync is to update the present position of the mount to the object that the scope is actually pointing to. If you don't know what object it is pointing to, then doing a sync is both pointless and will indeed get the mount lost. Example: the scope is pointed to Vega, and you bring up Deneb and sync on Deneb. Ok, the mount now says this gear angle represents Deneb, and uses that reference point to slew to other objects. Of course all subsequent objects are off by the RA/DEC difference between Vega and Deneb.

How to recover? You must re-define the mount's gear angles to correspond to the objects that the scope is really pointing to. Since the mount's gear angles are always known, it is a simple matter if you have defined the home position to a specific gear angle (example: Home = Park3). Then to recover from an errant sync, all you need to do is send the mount Home and recal in APCC. Now the mount's gear angles are in sync with where the telescope is pointing.

[...]

Hi Rolando,

I never did establish a home position. Right now the scope is in park 5. I moved it there using the APCC telescope control buttons. When I power up tonight, I am unsure what to do based on your explanation. Can you give it to me another way so I can understand.

Thank you. Rick.

>>>  Right now the scope is in park 5. I moved it there using the APCC telescope control buttons. When I power up tonight, I am unsure what to do based on your explanation. Can you give it to me another way so I can understand.

you should unpark from Park 5 in APCC

That should get you close enough to do a recal

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Roland Christen

When I power up tonight, I am unsure what to do
I assume that you are using either APCC or a planetarium program that uses the AP ASCOM driver. Either one, you simply set the initialization to "UNPARK from PARK5". That's all there is to it.

I never did establish a home position. Right now the scope is in park 5. I moved it there using the APCC telescope control buttons. When I power up tonight, I am unsure what to do based on your explanation. Can you give it to me another way so I can understand.

Thank you. Rick.

Rick Darden

Got it. I was overthinking it. To all, thank you for all the help. This support site is a lifesaver for laypersons like me.