Help! Mach2 suddenly lost #Mach2GTO

AaronW

Looking for some quick help so as not to waste a clear, moonless night!  I've been using my Mach2 with no issues for weeks.  Suddenly, tonight when I slew to an object (using Stellarium), the mount sends the scope in the opposite direction.  I must have pressed something to change a setting but I can't imagine what.  Whenever I "find home" the mount returns to the Northern Celestial Pole.  But once I slew anywhere after that, it goes the wrong direction.

Is there a quick fix for this?

Roland Christen

Check all your settings in Stellarium - time, date, daylight savings, location. Make sure that that time is entered in Military format, not AM, PM. I'm betting your time or location is totally off, and that the mount is slewing wrong in RA. Wrong time will do that. For example, if you told the planetaruim program that it's 6 o clock, but it's really 18:00 hours, then it will slew to the object where it is at 6 in the morning, even though right now it's 6 in the evening.

Those who have keypads have a huge leg up because it is very easy to check all those things when you initialize. I have not used Stellarium, so I have no idea how things are set up in that program, but if it initializes the mount with wrong time (or wrong location) then the mount will slew properly where the object would be at that wrong time - which is not what you want, of course.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jan 4, 2022 8:30 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Help! Mach2 suddenly lost #Mach2GTO

Looking for some quick help so as not to waste a clear, moonless night!  I've been using my Mach2 with no issues for weeks.  Suddenly, tonight when I slew to an object (using Stellarium), the mount sends the scope in the opposite direction.  I must have pressed something to change a setting but I can't imagine what.  Whenever I "find home" the mount returns to the Northern Celestial Pole.  But once I slew anywhere after that, it goes the wrong direction.

Is there a quick fix for this?

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

AaronW

Thank you for the speedy reply.  No problems with the settings the planetarium program, but I killed the power and rebooted everything and all is working now so I'm happy :)

Roland Christen

Great!

Musta been some funky setting in your planetarium program. The mount will always go where it's told to go if RA/Dec are sent correctly and time is set properly. I assume you are using the ASCOM driver. You can very quickly check in the driver what the universal time is and the overhead hour angle (meridian RA number). That's always a good sanity check on your laptop settings.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jan 4, 2022 9:45 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Help! Mach2 suddenly lost #Mach2GTO

Thank you for the speedy reply.  No problems with the settings the planetarium program, but I killed the power and rebooted everything and all is working now so I'm happy :)

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics