Guiding on my plate again - NEED TO IMPROVE

Dale Ghent

On Dec 15, 2020, at 11:01, Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> wrote:

Hi Ron,

The (upcoming) v1.9 of APCC Pro will support ASTAP.

I think Dale was considering emulating SGPro's API interface so APPM could use use it, but I am not sure where that stands.
BTW, thank you very much for adding this to APPM. I will be updating to 1.9 when it's available!

With APPM being able to run ASTAP directly, I've decided to hold off on adding the APPM-relevant SGPro API endpoints to the subset that NINA already implements. I think such an effort is superfluous in light of APPM being able to grok ASTAP itself, and the partial implementation of the SGPro API in NINA is something that we will want to deprecate over time in favor of another API design. So having one less external dependency (APPM) is favorable for this. Right now the subset that is present is there for servicing 10micron's pointing modeler which cannot take images by itself.

/dale

Ron Kramer

DOH - found it. testing now!

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:26 AM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2020, at 11:01, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Ron,
>
> The (upcoming) v1.9 of APCC Pro will support ASTAP.
>
> I think Dale was considering emulating SGPro's API interface so APPM could use use it, but I am not sure where that stands.

BTW, thank you very much for adding this to APPM. I will be updating to 1.9 when it's available!

With APPM being able to run ASTAP directly, I've decided to hold off on adding the APPM-relevant SGPro API endpoints to the subset that NINA already implements. I think such an effort is superfluous in light of APPM being able to grok ASTAP itself, and the partial implementation of the SGPro API in NINA is something that we will want to deprecate over time in favor of another API design. So having one less external dependency (APPM) is favorable for this. Right now the subset that is present is there for servicing 10micron's pointing modeler which cannot take images by itself.

/dale

Ray Gralak

Hi Dale,

Plate solving is just one of two things for which APPM can use SGPro. The other is as a camera source to grab images before plate
solving.

Is there an API for APPM to request an image from NINA?

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

Brian - kewl thanks - but using my limits will SAVE TIME!

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:23 AM Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:
Ron the plate solve will fail and it will move to the next point

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 8:15 AM Ron Kramer <ronkramer1957@...> wrote:
OH THIS IS COOL.   Figured I'd not wait for the update - and installed SGP again.  Set it up... now running APPM trial run.
its doing all sorts of cool stuff. (I unchecked solve for test).  It seems to be doing points that are way to low for my horizon.
Will it "skip" abort when it has nothing to solve or do I turn off points or can it use my APCC custom horizon?  It seems to have
toggled that off.
It's shooting pics of the inside of the dome. Can't wait for stars.
Maybe I could run out there with a market and jot a star map real quick. ;-)

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:01 AM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:
Hi Ron,

The (upcoming) v1.9 of APCC Pro will support ASTAP.

I think Dale was considering emulating SGPro's API interface so APPM could use use it, but I am not sure where that stands.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

Brian

Brian Valente

Ray Gralak

Ron,

If you want to test plate solving is setup correctly and the computer has an internet connection, in APPM you can select "NASA SkyView" as the camera type. APPM will pull down images from the NASA SkyView website for the RA/Dec coordinates that the mount is currently pointing.

Although it is easy to setup APPM to use SGPro for plate solving, you need to also configure SGPro to do plate solving, which may require a couple steps inside SGPro (see the APPM help section on plate solving for details).

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:01 AM Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> wrote:

Hi Ron,

The (upcoming) v1.9 of APCC Pro will support ASTAP.

I think Dale was considering emulating SGPro's API interface so APPM could use use it, but I am not sure
where that stands.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

I agree

also i disabled allsky option

I personally found after doing dozens of multi-hundred point models, all that ever did was fail and add 5 minutes of aggravation per failed point :)

On Dec 15, 2020, at 11:33, Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> wrote:

Hi Dale,

Plate solving is just one of two things for which APPM can use SGPro. The other is as a camera source to grab images before plate
solving.

Is there an API for APPM to request an image from NINA?
Oh, right. I forgot about this part!

Yes, NINA does implement the SGPro API endpoints for getting an image and checking camera status, but there'a a BUT! here.

The SGPro API endpoints have synonyms. Which is super annoying.

For example, to get an image, the 10micron point modeler will call the following route:

POST /image?format=json

Which is valid, and is what NINA implements (the dev who did it, did it to support his 10micron mount). But the other verb for this same endpoint is also valid to do, and it is what APPM uses:

POST /json/reply/SgCaptureImage

The developer didn't implement that. I will amend the implementation in NINA to also DTRT when these synonyms are specified and will allow APPM to control a camera and get images through NINA. I just won't implement the plate solving endpoints because 10micron's app doesn't need it, and soon APPM won't, either.

Thanks for reminding me!
/dale

Ron Kramer

I'll try it.  I had solving setup - even though I uninstalled SGP (luckily) all my settings/add on's were still in tact so it even found my old equipment configs. Planewaves PS2 should still work. I'll boot it all back up again (I just shut down) and give that a try.

I also made a little video capture of it in use.  FIRST POINT way off. The other seemed better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiR4Rc3kjBs

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:53 PM Ron Kramer via groups.io <ronkramer1957=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'll try it.  I had solving setup - even though I uninstalled SGP (luckily) all my settings/add on's were still in tact so it even found my old equipment configs. Planewaves PS2 should still work. I'll boot it all back up again (I just shut down) and give that a try.

I also made a little video capture of it in use.  FIRST POINT way off. The other seemed better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiR4Rc3kjBs

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:24 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2020, at 11:33, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Dale,
>
> Plate solving is just one of two things for which APPM can use SGPro. The other is as a camera source to grab images before plate
> solving.
>
> Is there an API for APPM to request an image from NINA?

Oh, right. I forgot about this part!

Yes, NINA does implement the SGPro API endpoints for getting an image and checking camera status, but there'a a BUT! here.

The SGPro API endpoints have synonyms. Which is super annoying.

For example, to get an image, the 10micron point modeler will call the following route:

POST /image?format=json

Which is valid, and is what NINA implements (the dev who did it, did it to support his 10micron mount). But the other verb for this same endpoint is also valid to do, and it is what APPM uses:

POST /json/reply/SgCaptureImage

The developer didn't implement that. I will amend the implementation in NINA to also DTRT when these synonyms are specified and will allow APPM to control a camera and get images through NINA. I just won't implement the plate solving endpoints because 10micron's app doesn't need it, and soon APPM won't, either.

Thanks for reminding me!
/dale

--

Ron Kramer

I can't get NASA pics to solve. I did load one of mine in SGP and it solved right away.
So I'm probably good to go if I can get clear skies.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:54 PM Ron Kramer via groups.io <ronkramer1957=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:53 PM Ron Kramer via groups.io <ronkramer1957=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'll try it.  I had solving setup - even though I uninstalled SGP (luckily) all my settings/add on's were still in tact so it even found my old equipment configs. Planewaves PS2 should still work. I'll boot it all back up again (I just shut down) and give that a try.

I also made a little video capture of it in use.  FIRST POINT way off. The other seemed better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiR4Rc3kjBs

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:24 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2020, at 11:33, Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Dale,
>
> Plate solving is just one of two things for which APPM can use SGPro. The other is as a camera source to grab images before plate
> solving.
>
> Is there an API for APPM to request an image from NINA?

Oh, right. I forgot about this part!

Yes, NINA does implement the SGPro API endpoints for getting an image and checking camera status, but there'a a BUT! here.

The SGPro API endpoints have synonyms. Which is super annoying.

For example, to get an image, the 10micron point modeler will call the following route:

POST /image?format=json

Which is valid, and is what NINA implements (the dev who did it, did it to support his 10micron mount). But the other verb for this same endpoint is also valid to do, and it is what APPM uses:

POST /json/reply/SgCaptureImage

The developer didn't implement that. I will amend the implementation in NINA to also DTRT when these synonyms are specified and will allow APPM to control a camera and get images through NINA. I just won't implement the plate solving endpoints because 10micron's app doesn't need it, and soon APPM won't, either.

Thanks for reminding me!
/dale

I can't get NASA pics to solve. I did load one of mine in SGP and it solved right away.
So I'm probably good to go if I can get clear skies.
Ron, unfortunately that is not sufficient. For whatever reason, SGPro uses different settings for external applications that want to perform plate-solving. Please take a look at the section in the help file for how to setup SGPro. Here is the link to the same info online (scroll to the end for the steps you should take in SGPro):

https://www.siriusimaging.com/Help/APCC/appm_platesolve_settings_tab.htm

Also, make sure you update SGPro to the latest build.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

I can't get NASA pics to solve. I did load one of mine in SGP and it solved right away.
So I'm probably good to go if I can get clear skies.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:54 PM Ron Kramer via groups.io <ronkramer1957=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

OOPS wrong link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-l1LbSjBCM

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:24 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@elemental.org> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2020, at 11:33, Ray Gralak <groups3@gralak.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dale,
>
> Plate solving is just one of two things for which APPM can use SGPro. The other is as a
camera source to grab images before plate
> solving.
>
> Is there an API for APPM to request an image from NINA?

Oh, right. I forgot about this part!

Yes, NINA does implement the SGPro API endpoints for getting an image and checking camera
status, but there'a a BUT! here.

The SGPro API endpoints have synonyms. Which is super annoying.

For example, to get an image, the 10micron point modeler will call the following route:

POST /image?format=json

Which is valid, and is what NINA implements (the dev who did it, did it to support his 10micron
mount). But the other verb for this same endpoint is also valid to do, and it is what APPM uses:

POST /json/reply/SgCaptureImage

The developer didn't implement that. I will amend the implementation in NINA to also DTRT when
these synonyms are specified and will allow APPM to control a camera and get images through NINA. I just won't
implement the plate solving endpoints because 10micron's app doesn't need it, and soon APPM won't, either.

Thanks for reminding me!
/dale

--

Ron Kramer
https://www.facebook.com/Ron.R.Kramer

--

Ron Kramer
https://www.facebook.com/Ron.R.Kramer

--

Ron Kramer
https://www.facebook.com/Ron.R.Kramer

Ron Kramer

That's okay I was saying my solves work so I'll be good when I get stars.

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 2:08 PM Ray Gralak <groups3@...> wrote:
> I can't get NASA pics to solve. I did load one of mine in SGP and it solved right away.
> So I'm probably good to go if I can get clear skies.

Ron, unfortunately that is not sufficient. For whatever reason, SGPro uses different settings for external applications that want to perform plate-solving. Please take a look at the section in the help file for how to setup SGPro. Here is the link to the same info online (scroll to the end for the steps you should take in SGPro):

https://www.siriusimaging.com/Help/APCC/appm_platesolve_settings_tab.htm

Also, make sure you update SGPro to the latest build.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

RAY thanks testing with NASA skyview now.  I tried to reinstall SGP (as I had deleted it) and I couldn't get APPM to be happy with the install. Com port issues - dome not slaving... I closed SGP and went back to NINA for the night and continued to have a slew of issues. (I think com ports were jumbled). Next day after full power down NINA was perfect again.

I still want to use APPM for a pointing model. I just read your above msg and selected NASA... but to make the model I need to do real pointing.  Is there a way I can use NINA and not run SGP?   NINA also uses ASTAP which solves in under 2 seconds... were as with SGP I used platesolve2 which IF IT WORKS takes 30+ seconds and when I tried it with APPM the solves were never successful.

With the HORDES of people moving from SGP to NINA... it would be worthy of a APPM update?

>>>With the HORDES of people moving from SGP to NINA... it would be worthy of a APPM update?

That's a bit hyperbolic? :) NINA Is free (for now?) so it of course is going to attract more people

SGP has worked flawlessly for me with APPM and APCC.

I expect an initial platesolve to take longer in any plate solver, but once that's completed successfully, subsequent plate solves should be in seconds for platesolve2, astap, etc.

if it's taking longer, then there is likely a problem somewhere else, either in the plate solve settings, your coordinates/time, etc.

Brian

Ron Kramer

Not getting anywhere. I may have to work on my SGP install again = (

skyview loads - but won't solve - it wants SGP no other options under the plate solve tab which I can use. I with my stand alone ASTAP install would be supported.

Clicking  SKIP PLATE SOLVES (for Testing) does not and  errors at the missing solver.

I need this, I typically can not trace unguided for over a minute without elongated stars.  Sadly only about 3 minutes with guiding before elongated stars.

I have improved guiding a LITTLE from the advice of a group member but not where it should be.  So ordered a new guide scope as mine is junk... I will do some major hardware layout changes and see if I can reduce the ridiculous 72lbs of counter weight on my lowly mach1 and see if I can get back to  .30 total RMS error like that of a  couple years ago.

My APPM version is  1.7.1.5  from 2019  is that the latest available?

Ron Kramer

Price is moot. Like me the people switching had bought and paid for SGP.  I will say "SGP worked" for me for 2 years. I didn't like it. But it worked. I tried others that didn't work so well and I was driven back to SGP again and again.  Until I found NINA.  I have already donated more in payment than I paid for SGP.  And I will donate much more over time.  It is that good.

While SGP may work.  It lacks the features and open-minded devs that NINA has.  Things as simple as a dark skin, or debayered sub preview are basics in NINA and were down right refused by SGP devs.  Now with the alpha release of the new Sequencer in NINA... it's all over.   I can tell NINA to wait for my target to pop up over my tree tops and shoot subs until it peeks behind my other treetops.   Or at 11pm slew to my next target and shoot it until nautical dawn or the target drops behind my tree line or house. (if it was ever in the way).

If you are satisfied with SGP because it works.  You're depriving yourself of greatness.  Though some may ride a bike vs a Ferrari to work - because well...  it also works.

To still be using SGP over NINA only means you've never given NINA a shot.

Dale Ghent

Ray has already said that APPM will be able to use ASTAP directly in the upcoming 1.8.9 version. I have already said that NINA's SGPro API emulation is to the point where APPM can take images through NINA. Work is still ongoing but, in the end, APPM will be able to drive the a pointing model session using only these two apps when the 1.8.9 is released. I'm not aware of when this will be available, as that's Ray's and A-P's purview.

/dale

On Jan 14, 2021, at 12:31, Ron Kramer <ronkramer1957@gmail.com> wrote:

Price is moot. Like me the people switching had bought and paid for SGP. I will say "SGP worked" for me for 2 years. I didn't like it. But it worked. I tried others that didn't work so well and I was driven back to SGP again and again. Until I found NINA. I have already donated more in payment than I paid for SGP. And I will donate much more over time. It is that good.

While SGP may work. It lacks the features and open-minded devs that NINA has. Things as simple as a dark skin, or debayered sub preview are basics in NINA and were down right refused by SGP devs. Now with the alpha release of the new Sequencer in NINA... it's all over. I can tell NINA to wait for my target to pop up over my tree tops and shoot subs until it peeks behind my other treetops. Or at 11pm slew to my next target and shoot it until nautical dawn or the target drops behind my tree line or house. (if it was ever in the way).

If you are satisfied with SGP because it works. You're depriving yourself of greatness. Though some may ride a bike vs a Ferrari to work - because well... it also works.

To still be using SGP over NINA only means you've never given NINA a shot.

>>> To still be using SGP over NINA only means you've never given NINA a shot.

i appreciated your comments until this part - you're wrong on this.

I've tried NINA and used it for a while and i don't care for it. There are a lot of ways it works that i don't like.

I'm not a fanboy of SGP, but for me it's definitely the best out there right now, and I have many other software apps i use: ACP, TSX, NINA, etc.

My software preference is always evolving, so i'm sure i will give it a try again in the future, along with voyager,

Brian

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 9:31 AM Ron Kramer <ronkramer1957@...> wrote:

[...]

deonb

Ray mentioned support in it for 1.9 in December, not 1.8.9
https://ap-gto.groups.io/g/main/message/74821

(Not that it matter much, just in case someone searches this thread in the future and confused about it when/if there is a 1.8.9)

Worsel

Ron

APPM is installed as part of APPC-Pro; hence, APPM version is the same as APPC-Pro.  The latest is 1.8.8.13.  I do not think you can install APPM separately.

Bryan