Topics

GTOCP4 Control Box

Donald Gaines

Hi folks,
I was lucky enough to be notified recently I’m going to be the proud father of an 1100GTO mount.  I have read through the GTOCP4 Operating Instructions as I plan on how to connect the mount to a PC, CCD Camera, focuser, and other accessories.  I would like to locate the mount outside in a structure with a ROR, and connect to a PC in the house about 150  ft away. I was thinking of using the Ethernet port and I read that it can also be done with a USB and Icron 2304 USB extender.  I am curious if cameras, focuses and other accessories can be connected to the GTOCP4 and then be operated by the PC in the house?  Is there a preferred method for this kind of setup?  I would appreciate any advice you might be willing to pass along.
Thanks,
Don Gaines

Christopher Erickson

IMNSHO, set up a compact observatory PC next to the scope and then controle that PC remotely from the house.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021 at 12:50 PM Donald Gaines <onegaines@...> wrote:
Hi folks,
I was lucky enough to be notified recently I’m going to be the proud father of an 1100GTO mount.  I have read through the GTOCP4 Operating Instructions as I plan on how to connect the mount to a PC, CCD Camera, focuser, and other accessories.  I would like to locate the mount outside in a structure with a ROR, and connect to a PC in the house about 150  ft away. I was thinking of using the Ethernet port and I read that it can also be done with a USB and Icron 2304 USB extender.  I am curious if cameras, focuses and other accessories can be connected to the GTOCP4 and then be operated by the PC in the house?  Is there a preferred method for this kind of setup?  I would appreciate any advice you might be willing to pass along.
Thanks,
Don Gaines

I agree. A small observatory PC is the way to go here. I would add, Donald,

The CP4 isn’t a hub or splitter, so it cannot run any equipment other than the mount itself. If you managed to connect a camera to the CP4 (type B to type B USB cables are non-standard and hard to find!), they would simply look at each other waiting for instructions. Using a hub will let you connect all of your equipment.

Liam Plybon

Astro-Physics

[...]

Jeffrey Wolff

Edited

I bought a NUC running Windows 10 Pro. It is very small and easy to park on the shelf on the pier. I connect the mount and NUC to a MikroTik router with 5 Ethernet ports and move the NUC in to the house when I am done. I use RDP with compression turned off to remotely control and monitor the mount, cameras, focuser, etc... It runs APCC, and all the astronomy imaging software. I use another computer in my warm house to control the NUC at the mount.

The guide camera, imaging camera focuser are all connected to a Pegasus Powerbox Advanced on the scope to provide USB and power. A single USB 3 cable and 12 volt power cable go down to the base of the mount and connect to the NUC and 12 volt power supply. I have a network connection from the MikroTik back to the house network.

The CP4 can be controlled using the Ethernet verses USB. It doesn't have any ability to connect to your cameras.

Donald Gaines

Thanks Christopher,
That’s a great idea. I hadn’t considered that. I have been watching the forum for some time and see some very interesting threads from some really interesting people. I wonder who enjoys their job more, you or Roland.
Thanks for your advice.
Don Gaines

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
[...]

Yves Laroche

Hi Don,

Began with the same setup as suggested by Christopher in 2003.

Since ten years, I'm using exactly the same setup as you expect to use and it's working great.

Icron are very good products.

Regards,
Yves

Le 24 févr. 2021 17 h 50, Donald Gaines <onegaines@...> a écrit :
Hi folks,
I was lucky enough to be notified recently I’m going to be the proud father of an 1100GTO mount.  I have read through the GTOCP4 Operating Instructions as I plan on how to connect the mount to a PC, CCD Camera, focuser, and other accessories.  I would like to locate the mount outside in a structure with a ROR, and connect to a PC in the house about 150  ft away. I was thinking of using the Ethernet port and I read that it can also be done with a USB and Icron 2304 USB extender.  I am curious if cameras, focuses and other accessories can be connected to the GTOCP4 and then be operated by the PC in the house?  Is there a preferred method for this kind of setup?  I would appreciate any advice you might be willing to pass along.
Thanks,
Don Gaines

Mike Dodd

On 2/24/2021 5:50 PM, Donald Gaines wrote:
outside in a structure with a ROR, and connect to a PC in the house
about 150 ft away. I was thinking of using the Ethernet port and I read
that it can also be done with a USB and Icron 2304 USB extender. I am
curious if cameras, focuses and other accessories can be connected to
the GTOCP4 and then be operated by the PC in the house? Is there a
preferred method for this kind of setup? I would appreciate any advice
you might be willing to pass along.
I have a PC in the observatory to keep thing simple. I have an Icron 2304 between the PC and the pier, a cable length of about 15 feet. It works great. Here are some factors to consider:

* The 2304 is USB 2 only, so if you have a USB 3.0 camera, image transfer will be significantly slower. I wanted high-speed image transfer, so I installed a powered USB 3.0 extender for the camera. Another reason for the PC to be in the observatory.

* My focuser, rotator, and guide camera go through the 2304, so the USB 2 speed is not an issue.

* My AP1200 connects to the PC via old-fashioned, reliable RS-232 serial.

* connect to the observatory PC from my house with Windows Remote Desktop via a 300-foot buried Ethernet cable. It works very well. I have the option of saving images to a Linux server in the basement via the same Ethernet link, or saving them on the observatory PC, then transferring them to a Win 10 computer for processing with PixInsight.

I highly recommend a PC in the observatory. As I said, it keeps things simple. I can do EVERYTHING from inside the house -- start the PC, open the roof, power-up and connect all the equipment, and start an ACP imaging plan.

--- Mike
http://astronomy.mdodd.com

Donald Gaines

Thanks Liam and Jeffery,
Looks like you all agree.  I looked up NUC and RDP, and I understand. Looks like I have some homework to do but this seems like something I can do. Liam, thanks for explaining the CP4 to me, I had a feeling it would not do what I thought it might. Thanks again for the advice.
Regards,
Don Gaines

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Yves and Mike,
I am going to follow your advice. Can’t go wrong with something that’s working for so many folks for such a long time.  I told Daleen at Astro-Physics it amazing how helpful and patient everyone is on the forum.
Thanks again,
[...]

I'm not sure which one of us enjoys his job more. We are both engineers doing what we love most. Be damned the dollars. We are having too much fun doing fascinating engineering stuff while making new friends whenever we can.

As for your observatory PC details, I am a strong advocate for Panasonic Toughbook laptops with real serial ports and SSD hard drives. Laptops have real screens, keyboards, pointing devices and maybe most important of all, built-in UPS's. This saves a lot of time when tuning and troubleshooting. And can still remote control it from someplace else.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Feb 24, 2021, 1:05 PM Donald Gaines <onegaines@...> wrote:
[...]

I’ve got one PC to dedicate to it already with an SSD drive, looks like I’m going to need another.  I’ve heard of the Toughbook before, it seemed to be highly recommended. With what I’ve been seeing on the Forum about conditions like temperature, it would seem like a Toughbook would be a great choice. Thanks for the suggestion.
[...]

Tom Blahovici

Hi Donald,
This is my setup.  Since you have a ROR setup you have a lot more space than me.
My mount is still an older AP600 but it has the latest CP4 controller. If you look at the picture of my "observatory",  you will see a little box to the left of the observatory under the wood platform.  In there is a 12V power supply, an Ethernet hub, and an IOT power bar.
The Ethernet hub connects to an I5, Intel NUC running Windows 10 Pro and is accessible via Remote Desktop. The NUC has a few USB ports and one connects to a hub mounted on the telescope itself.  The hub provides connectivity to an ASI6200mm, filter wheel, an ASI290mm off axis guider, and a Moonlight Nitecrawler focuser.
The CP4 itself uses an ethernet connection from the hub.  The NUC is very versatile and also has a Thunder bolt interface.  I use that with a Thunderbolt to 10G ethernet adapter.  Gives me 10 times the throughput of a standard gigabit Ethernet connection.  Pretty useful with the 125Mbyte images of the ASI6200.
The NUC is really good.  Will last a long time.
My observing session goes like this:  I turn on the computer and equipment remotely using my IOT phone app to let it warm up and get ready. This connection also has a couple of heaters (Golden Rod heaters to keep the "observatory" warm. These are then turned off).  I go outside, unlock the cover to my Observatory and lift off the cover.  It is made of foam and aluminum angle strips and weights 15 pounds. It is covered in Dacron, and filler (same material used for aircraft wings) and is super durable (6 years and counting with Montreal weather).  I then go inside, connect to the NUC with Windows remote desktop, Open APCC, connect to the mount, and start Voyager.
Running in 5 minutes.  Can't wait until it's housing an Ap 1100
Tom

Donald Gaines

Thanks for the info Tom,
Great setup. The hub you mention, it is a USB hub, and do you know the brand and part number of the hub?
Regards,
Don

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021, Tom Blahovici <tom.va2fsq@...> wrote:
[...]

The USB hub I use is this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/I-Tec-Metal-Active-Hub-10-Port-Usb-3-0-With-Ps-Win-Mac-Os-NEW/274542884289?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

I've been using it for the last two years.  I only image in the winter and it works without issues down to -25C.  Not cheap though but perfectly sized for putting on a scope.  It fits between the dove tail and the scope itself.
I do run the camera direct to the NUC though.  It's pretty finicky about cables and hubs.

Donald Gaines

Thanks Tom,
Looks like what I’ll need.
Regards,
Don

On Thursday, February 25, 2021, Tom Blahovici <tom.va2fsq@...> wrote:
The USB hub I use is this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/I-Tec-Metal-Active-Hub-10-Port-Usb-3-0-With-Ps-Win-Mac-Os-NEW/274542884289?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

I've been using it for the last two years.  I only image in the winter and it works without issues down to -25C.  Not cheap though but perfectly sized for putting on a scope.  It fits between the dove tail and the scope itself.
I do run the camera direct to the NUC though.  It's pretty finicky about cables and hubs.

Tom Blahovici

Great.  One other thing about this hub is that it uses 12V just like most astro devices.

Donald Gaines

Even better Tom, and I see the advantage to it being powered.
Thanks,
Don

On Thursday, February 25, 2021, Tom Blahovici <tom.va2fsq@...> wrote:
Great.  One other thing about this hub is that it uses 12V just like most astro devices.

Seb@stro

That's a nice compact obs you have there, Tom.

Would be interested seeing the inside as well... What NUC model do you use ? Is it a rugged type ? I like your idea of the goldenrod heaters. I suppose once the NUC has warmed up and booted, it pretty-much self-heats for the rest of the night. Have you tested at -20 Celsius and the like? Maybe a bit off-topic here, sorry about that...

At my location (about 15 km North of Quebec City, in the mountains) I pretty much get temps of -15 to -25C all winter long (Brrr). But when the sky clears, I feel like I'm floating in space, which obviously I am on that little rock called Earth... 🤓

Clear skies!
Sébastien

[...]

Here you are.  This routinely works no issues down to -20C.  Actually the only issue is my darks are at -20 and should be set to -25 on these cold days.
You can see the NUC, which is an I5, bought last year so it is pretty current.  There are also two Goldenrod heaters, two desiccant chambers a IR webcam and Thunderbolt to 10G network adapter.
In the box under the unit, there is the IOT power strip, the power supply for the setup, network hub and Anderson power pole box. There is also another GoldenRod heater.
The pier is mounted to a concrete block 3" in diameter and six feet deep.
All comes down in the summer so my wife can enjoy her garden.
Tom

Don Anderson

Very nice compact setup Tom. Your box on a post design is something. I am considering for my AP 900GOTO with an TV NP127is and SXVR H694/SX FW combination. What’s the diameter of your pier? I assume you meant 3 ft for the pier concrete block diameter. Can you un bolt the pier from the foundation?
Cheers
Don