GTOCP4 Caps

Roger Howard

Edited

I’m curious if anyone knows the sizes or if any AP personnel would post the sizes of the connectors used on the control box.  We use these in aviation to cover unused connectors, and I think I would like to try a few since the plastic ones don’t really stay in place.  The sizes listed on shopping sites are gibberish and mean nothing that I can discern.  Or does anyone have a good cap, or covers, they have found that work well.  I move my mount each time I set up and they tend to pop off.

CS

Roger

david w pearson

I have these on my CP4.
dave

Harley Davidson

On 4/20/2021 7:52 PM, Roger Howard wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I’m curious if anyone knows the sizes or if any AP personnel would post the sizes of the connectors used on the control box.  We use these in aviation to cover unused connectors, and I think I would like to try a few since the plastic ones don’t really stay in place.  The sizes listed on shopping sites are gibberish and mean nothing that I can discern.  Or does anyone have a good cap, or covers, they have found that work well.  I move my mount each time I set up and they tend to pop off.

CS

Roger

Roger Howard

Perfect, thanks.

M Hambrick

Those caps can be purchased from Mouser, but the last time I checked they were out of stock for one of them, I can't remember which.

What about the threaded connectors on the mount gearboxes ? Does anyone know what size and type those are ?

Mike

Howard Hedlund

David Albers

If you want to cover the RJ11, RJ45, and USB connections I used these guys...in addition to Digi-key for the other Hirose connectors.

https://www.vpi.us/c/connector-covers-137

RJ11 Female Connector Covers - Items in Pack : 10  CVR-RJ11JCKx  $2.50
USB Type B Female Connector Covers - Items in Pack : 10  CVR-USBBFx  $2.50
RJ45 Female Connector Covers, Black - Items in Pack : 10  CVR-RJ45JCK-Kxx $3.00

Dave

M Hambrick

Thanks  Howard

I believe that the RM12BR-C-71 cover is the one that fits the bayonet connectors for the keypad and 12V DC on the GTOCP4. Can you tell me what the threaded connectors on the RA and Declination gearboxes would use ? I have the plastic slip-on caps, but would like to get some nice metal ones that screw on.

Mike

Roger Howard

I ordered the caps from Mouser today.

The 2 large were $13.35 each and the 3 small were $9.60 each.  Like 80 in stock of each.

M Hambrick

What a coincidence ! I also ordered some of the caps from Mouser yesterday. They must think there is a run on the Hirose connectors. I checked the Digi-Key web site that Howard provided the link to, and it said that there was zero stock of the RM15TR-C(71), and also that they were obsolete. I checked Mouser again and they had both types of caps in stock, so I ordered several of each. The last time I checked the Mouser site, they were also out of the RM15 caps, but were expecting a shipment in June. The shipment must have come in early.

Unless someone knows of another manufacturer of these caps besides Hirose, it would be a good idea to grab some up from Mouser while they still have some in stock.

I would still like to find some caps to thread onto the RA and Declination gearbox motors on the mount. I have not had much luck finding anything.

I expect that Astro-Physics' master machinist could easily fabricate whatever caps we might ever want, and I would happily pay for them.

Mike

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

> I expect that Astro-Physics' master machinist could easily fabricate whatever caps we

> might ever want, and I would happily pay for them.

As someone waiting for a mount, I’d love if I could just add a package of “covers for every opening” covers to the order, even if they are resold at a markup, it would be very convenient.

Linwood

Seb@stro

Hello Howard,

Here are links to the Hirose covers.
I suppose the two small ones would also fit the CP5 (keypad and power), right ?

What model would you recommend for the RA and DEC threaded connectors as well as those one the Mach2's back panel ?

Sébastien

M Hambrick

Hi Linwood

Actually, Astro-Physics offers a set of plastic covers for all of the connectors on the GTOCP4/5 and the mount motors. You will have to call them to order a set. The interest in the metal covers is because they are more durable, and they will stay put, but as a minimum you should get a set of the plastic ones. I think they run about $15.00.

Mike

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Ah, perfect, when the mount is ready I will ask for one.

Mine will be kept inside when not in use, so plastic is likely to work fine.  But when in use it’s a heavy, heavy dew environment so covering unused ports is a goodness.

Thanks.