GTOCP4 Caps

Roger Howard

Edited

I’m curious if anyone knows the sizes or if any AP personnel would post the sizes of the connectors used on the control box.  We use these in aviation to cover unused connectors, and I think I would like to try a few since the plastic ones don’t really stay in place.  The sizes listed on shopping sites are gibberish and mean nothing that I can discern.  Or does anyone have a good cap, or covers, they have found that work well.  I move my mount each time I set up and they tend to pop off.

CS

Roger

david w pearson

I have these on my CP4.
dave

Harley Davidson

On 4/20/2021 7:52 PM, Roger Howard wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I’m curious if anyone knows the sizes or if any AP personnel would post the sizes of the connectors used on the control box.  We use these in aviation to cover unused connectors, and I think I would like to try a few since the plastic ones don’t really stay in place.  The sizes listed on shopping sites are gibberish and mean nothing that I can discern.  Or does anyone have a good cap, or covers, they have found that work well.  I move my mount each time I set up and they tend to pop off.

CS

Roger

Roger Howard

Perfect, thanks.

M Hambrick

Those caps can be purchased from Mouser, but the last time I checked they were out of stock for one of them, I can't remember which.

What about the threaded connectors on the mount gearboxes ? Does anyone know what size and type those are ?

Mike

Howard Hedlund

David Albers

If you want to cover the RJ11, RJ45, and USB connections I used these guys...in addition to Digi-key for the other Hirose connectors.

https://www.vpi.us/c/connector-covers-137

RJ11 Female Connector Covers - Items in Pack : 10  CVR-RJ11JCKx  $2.50
USB Type B Female Connector Covers - Items in Pack : 10  CVR-USBBFx  $2.50
RJ45 Female Connector Covers, Black - Items in Pack : 10  CVR-RJ45JCK-Kxx $3.00

Dave

M Hambrick

Thanks  Howard

I believe that the RM12BR-C-71 cover is the one that fits the bayonet connectors for the keypad and 12V DC on the GTOCP4. Can you tell me what the threaded connectors on the RA and Declination gearboxes would use ? I have the plastic slip-on caps, but would like to get some nice metal ones that screw on.

Mike

Roger Howard

I ordered the caps from Mouser today.  

The 2 large were $13.35 each and the 3 small were $9.60 each.  Like 80 in stock of each. 

M Hambrick

What a coincidence ! I also ordered some of the caps from Mouser yesterday. They must think there is a run on the Hirose connectors. I checked the Digi-Key web site that Howard provided the link to, and it said that there was zero stock of the RM15TR-C(71), and also that they were obsolete. I checked Mouser again and they had both types of caps in stock, so I ordered several of each. The last time I checked the Mouser site, they were also out of the RM15 caps, but were expecting a shipment in June. The shipment must have come in early.

Unless someone knows of another manufacturer of these caps besides Hirose, it would be a good idea to grab some up from Mouser while they still have some in stock.

I would still like to find some caps to thread onto the RA and Declination gearbox motors on the mount. I have not had much luck finding anything.

I expect that Astro-Physics' master machinist could easily fabricate whatever caps we might ever want, and I would happily pay for them.

Mike

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

> I expect that Astro-Physics' master machinist could easily fabricate whatever caps we

> might ever want, and I would happily pay for them.

As someone waiting for a mount, I’d love if I could just add a package of “covers for every opening” covers to the order, even if they are resold at a markup, it would be very convenient.

Linwood

Seb@stro

Hello Howard,

Here are links to the Hirose covers. 
I suppose the two small ones would also fit the CP5 (keypad and power), right ?

What model would you recommend for the RA and DEC threaded connectors as well as those one the Mach2's back panel ?

Sébastien

M Hambrick

Hi Linwood

Actually, Astro-Physics offers a set of plastic covers for all of the connectors on the GTOCP4/5 and the mount motors. You will have to call them to order a set. The interest in the metal covers is because they are more durable, and they will stay put, but as a minimum you should get a set of the plastic ones. I think they run about $15.00.

Mike

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Ah, perfect, when the mount is ready I will ask for one.

Mine will be kept inside when not in use, so plastic is likely to work fine.  But when in use it’s a heavy, heavy dew environment so covering unused ports is a goodness.

Thanks.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of M Hambrick via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 11:59 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] GTOCP4 Caps

Hi Linwood

Actually, Astro-Physics offers a set of plastic covers for all of the connectors on the GTOCP4/5 and the mount motors. You will have to call them to order a set. The interest in the metal covers is because they are more durable, and they will stay put, but as a minimum you should get a set of the plastic ones. I think they run about $15.00.

Mike

Ken Sablinsky

Maybe I jumped the gun and ordered too quickly on Mouser yesterday.  They showed the larger cap was out of stock and also said obsolete.  They recommended a different cap, RM15TR-C(31) which seemed to have the same specs as far as I can tell.  Guess I'll find out!

M Hambrick

Hi Ken

The RM15TR-C(71) caps are the ones that will fit the larger diameter threaded connectors on the GTOCP4 that the Y-cable and Encoder cable attach to. I checked the website and the internal thread specifications for the RM15TR-C(71) and RM15TR-C(31) are different (see below). 

Be VERY careful if you try to screw the RM15TR-C(31) caps onto your GTOCP4 that you do not strip out the threads of the connectors. If they do not thread on very easily, don't try to force them. In fact, based on the drawings below I don't think I would try them at all. I measured the threads on my GTOCP4 and verified that they are M20 X 2 threads.

It is interesting that Mouser told you they are out of stock of the RM15TR-C(71) caps. I ordered three of them yesterday and they don't show to be backordered. I am on the Mouser web site now, and they are showing that they have 26 of the RM15TR-C(71) caps in stock. You can also try searching using the Mouser number 798-RM15TRDC71.

Mike

Here is the RM15TR-C(71) It has M20 X 2 internal threads. This is the correct cap for the connectors on the GTPCP4. 

Here is the RM15TR-C(31). It has M19 X 1 internal threads:

Ken Sablinsky

Either I'm really confusing myself, or the drawing I found was incorrect.  I found this on the Mauser website showing the "71" version is 19mm x 1, and the 31 version matched that.  Guess I should have measured my actual CP4 instead of relying on the drawings, darn it.  Plus, the 71 version still shows out of stock discontinued - maybe I'm looking at the wrong adapter?
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hirose-Connector/RM15TR-C71?qs=%2Fha2pyFadujF6dwDSTFNgVUE%2FRNk7I0u0R6Fk%252BD%252B6mmqK1TJX8uIgQ%3D%3D

Karen Christen

Hello Linwood,

We do sell a full set of plastic covers for all the ports and doohickeys on the CPx control box as Mike mentions below.  But you won’t need to request them; each mount is shipped with the set.  Some folks choose to replace these with metal covers later.  I hope this is helpful.

Karen

AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of ap@...
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 11:05 AM

Ah, perfect, when the mount is ready I will ask for one.

Mine will be kept inside when not in use, so plastic is likely to work fine.  But when in use it’s a heavy, heavy dew environment so covering unused ports is a goodness.

Thanks.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of M Hambrick via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 11:59 AM

Hi Linwood

Mike

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

> But you won’t need to request them; each mount is shipped with the set. 

An even better thing to know, thanks!

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Mike,

I ordered the plastic caps set for mine. They really should come standard with any CPx controller, and the metal ones offered as a valuable option.

Two things to keep in mind about sourcing the such caps elsewhere.

First, the AP set also includes that ...  tiny plastic plug ... for the CP4/5 USB port (which I don’t use), and it isn’t one of the common PC caps listed in a recent vendor link. The USB and Ethernet socket protection plugs are essential, since these can - (in some perhaps rare cases, like older mount top-side placement), become “tiny water reservoirs”  exposed to dew rolling off an OTA slewing by, potentially  puddling inside the controller. My two unfortunate experiences.
The other  Mil-Spec Amphenol socket ports not only have hermetically sealed leak-proof pin bases inside their sockets, but are very firmly bolted from behind, preventing any panel seepage.

Second, I wonder if the metal caps could become “FROZEN”, (perhaps) difficult to unscrew,  on  exceptionally cold northern winter days.
Guess I would have to either have a portable hair dryer or take the controller indoors, or into the heated vehicle to thaw out the caps.

Tony’s detailed, excellent video  - as  his always are -  about sourcing these metal caps, mentions their underlying “rubber cushions” to provide some push-back, allowing the twist-bayonet cap locks to be snugged-up. But, another benefit of the rubber cushion is to hermetically seal up the exposed tops of the pins, during storage, so they don’t oxidize as easily.

However, I would caution about snipping off the “cap chains” if the scope travels to a dark site. You might lose a cap in the snow or dark ground cover, if they aren’t at least tethered by a shared lanyard to the pier/mount. The black plastic caps are far easier to lose.
If I don’t opt for replacing some of them with the metal caps, I may paint the standard AP black ones with glow-in-the-dark paint. Red plastic “CAPLUGS”, like the AP reducer covers, etc.  would have been somewhat better in that regard, but round ones may not be commonly available in such a wide assortment.

Joe Z.

Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2021 11:58 AM

Hi Linwood

Mike