GOTO Mounts, Ease of use

MarkDambrosio@...

Hi Folks, Just curious, have those of you who have the AP GOTO mounts,
i would like to ask how you found their ease of use when you first got
them? (I'll probably be using mine with just the hand controller
at first, due to a lack of a laptop) I'm hoping that they are not
too much of a head scratcher!, Also which Semi-pier (In height) would
you think to be suitable for the Apomax 5.2" F-12 refractor? (OTA about
60" Long) Thanks, Mark

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

Hi Mark,

The 54" pier should be fine for most observing. Most of
the time you can be sitting and part of the time you may
want to stand or lean on a ladder.

At this time I have an older 56" pier and mount I use with my 180EDT.
It is just a little longer fl than your APOMAX.

If you want to be looking straight overhead most the time then you may
want a longer pier.

Rich

Derek Wong <dawong@...>

Just curious, have those of you who have the AP GOTO mounts,
i would like to ask how you found their ease of use when you first got
them? (I'll probably be using mine with just the hand controller
at first, due to a lack of a laptop)
Mark:

My mount was pretty easy to use right out of the box. However, the
alignment process can be a bit frustrating at first, especially if you
don't have an orthogonal setup (if you have a non-AP scope this may be
the case). I would strongly recommend getting the polar alignment
scope. You can get excellent alignment for visual work, and will only
need minor adjustments if you want very high precision pointing.

Derek Wong

Paul Gustafson <drgus@...>

Hi Folks, Just curious, have those of you who have the AP GOTO mounts,
i would like to ask how you found their ease of use when you first got
them? (I'll probably be using mine with just the hand controller
at first, due to a lack of a laptop) I'm hoping that they are not
too much of a head scratcher!
The polar alignment scope gets you nearly dead on, close enough for goto to
put the object in the fov, fine for casual/visual use. Better polar
alignment with the hand controller requires only minor tweaking, but makes
the goto much more accurate.

Also which Semi-pier (In height) would
you think to be suitable for the Apomax 5.2" F-12 refractor? (OTA about
60" Long) Thanks, Mark
I use the 54" with a 6" f/7 and I can do 80% of my observing seated with a
Starbound chair, and don't have to crawl on the ground to view at the
zenith. It does require standing to view near the horizon.

Paul Gustafson

MarkDambrosio@...

markdambrosi-@webtv.net wrote:
original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/?start=129

[...]

Hi Rich, I get the feeling the 54" pier may be too short, even with
the 1200 head upon it. Although with the HGM-200 w/60" legs, near
horizon viewing did require a short (24") stepladder, at the zenith, i
would be on my knees. Just about right for my tastes. (I like standing)
I'll have to hope that someone will have a 7.1" EDT at Astrofest this
year, so i can better judge this. I don't believe Tom Back will be
bringing his. Mark

original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/?start=132
[...]

Also, this post brings another question to mind. Are the
accessories such as the polar scope, piers, counterweights usually
stock items. Saw a polar scope without illuminator on Astromart just
yesterday, and it was $275. (Thought new price was $250) This made me
think that these may be very hard to aquire. (Such as the Losmandy
scope currently) Mark

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

Hi Mark,

It also depends on where the OTA balances. With a finder,
Telrad, binoview, etc. my 180EDT balances closer to the
focuser end of the OTA. Without the Telrad and an 1 1/4
Brandon eyepiece the balance point is near the middle
of the OTA.

If I have to stand when viewing I like to lean on the top of
my ladder. It is more relaxing. Most of the time I prefer to
sit and observe. I use a StarBound adjustable chair.

Usually the taller the Pier the less stable it is.

Rich

Hi Rich, I get the feeling the 54" pier may be too short, even with
the 1200 head upon it. Although with the HGM-200 w/60" legs, near
horizon viewing did require a short (24") stepladder, at the zenith, i
would be on my knees. Just about right for my tastes. (I like standing)
I'll have to hope that someone will have a 7.1" EDT at Astrofest this
year, so i can better judge this. I don't believe Tom Back will be
bringing his. Mark

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

In the past they have usually been in stock. I haven't
tried to buy one of thes items for a couple of years.

Are you going to be doing photography or imaging with
your APOMAX?

Rich

Also, this post brings another question to mind. Are the
accessories such as the polar scope, piers, counterweights usually
stock items. Saw a polar scope without illuminator on Astromart just
yesterday, and it was $275. (Thought new price was $250) This made me
think that these may be very hard to aquire. (Such as the Losmandy
scope currently) Mark

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

Hi Mark,

It also depends on where the OTA balances. With a finder,
Telrad, binoview, etc. my 180EDT balances closer to the
focuser end of the OTA. Without the Telrad and an 1 1/4
That should say.. Without a Telrad and with just 1 1/4"
Brandon eyepiece. Brandon's are very light weight eyepieces.

Rich

original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/?start=136

[...]

-----

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Rich, good point about the height affecting stability. I'll
keep this in mind. Perhaps the 54" height pier will be the best one.
The Apomax is quite heavy at both ends... Massive lens cell, and
massive 4" focuser. Mark

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

A friend likes to use a 48" pier with his 180EDT (he may be
getting a taller pier). To keep the eyepiece closer to the mount
he uses an 8x50 finder and a TV Ranger mounted near the
rear of the tube using two large tube rings. Along with the binoviewer
his OTA balanced much closer to the rear of the tube. I think he
will be replacing the Ranger with his AP 90. He loves the 90.

Rich

original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/?start=130
Just curious, have those of you who have the AP GOTO mounts,
i would like to ask how you found their ease of use when you first
got
them? (I'll probably be using mine with just the hand
controller
at first, due to a lack of a laptop)
Mark:

My mount was pretty easy to use right out of the box. However, the
alignment process can be a bit frustrating at first, especially if you
don't have an orthogonal setup (if you have a non-AP scope this may be
the case). I would strongly recommend getting the polar alignment
scope. You can get excellent alignment for visual work, and will only
need minor adjustments if you want very high precision pointing.

Derek Wong Hi Derek,
One thing i would like to do is possibly replace the "Cheesy" Parallax
tube rings, and buy a set of the AP tube rings. The Apomax has an OD
tube dia. of 6.5" AP does list a set of this size. Quality of the AP
rings, i assume should be vastly superior to the Parallax rings. I do
have a brand new AP 15" Dovetail Plate/Slide bar. I imagine this will
work on the 1200 mount, No? Mark

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

Yes, AP does list 6.5" tube rings. They are much
nicer than a set of Parallax rings I have for a FC-100.

Rich

markdambrosi-@webtv.net wrote:
Derek Wong Hi Derek,
One thing i would like to do is possibly replace the "Cheesy" Parallax
tube rings, and buy a set of the AP tube rings. The Apomax has an OD
tube dia. of 6.5" AP does list a set of this size. Quality of the AP
rings, i assume should be vastly superior to the Parallax rings. I do
have a brand new AP 15" Dovetail Plate/Slide bar. I imagine this will
work on the 1200 mount, No? Mark

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

John Gleason

Mark,

It would seem unlikely that your AP 15-inch dovetail plate would work on
the 1200 mount. But you should check with AP to be sure.
I use the 24-inch saddle plate to support a 7/7 refractor on the 1200, and
the 18-inch plate to support the 6/7. Solid as a rock. As for the
rings -- AP rings are matched in style and bolt pattern.

John Gleason, dvj@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~dvj/

----------

From: MarkDambrosio@webtv.net
To: ap-gto@egroups.com
Subject: [ap-gto] Re: GOTO Mounts, Ease of use
Date: Monday, August 30, 1999 2:45 PM

original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto/?start=142

From: MarkDambrosio@webtv.net
To: ap-gto@egroups.com
Date: Monday, August 30, 1999 2:45 PM

[...]

Hi John. You are correct. An e-mail reply from Roland himself
confirms this. Thanks, Mark