Galactic field in Lacerta

Dan_Paris

Hi everyone,

this small constellation at the edge of the Milky Way is seldom visited, nonetheless it contains many interesting objects, including small but beautiful galaxies and lot of IFN.

Here is a field containing the barred spiral galaxy NGC 7223 interacting with the elliptical galaxy PGC 214803, as well as the spiral galaxies UGC 11919 and UGC 11927 and many others.

I took this picture with my 8" Newtonian astrograph on an AP900 from my light-polluted backyard in Paris suburbs.

Thanks to rather favorable seeing conditions and to the good tracking performance of  the mount, I managed to extract interesting details from these small objects (NGC 7223 is 1,4′ × 1,1′ only), even with my 750mm focal length (2.1" FWHM after stacking).

Here is a link to the un-cropped and full-resolution image, with some IFNs in the upper part :

http://www.astrosurf...074c0da2b17.jpg

Thanks for looking and clear skies,

Dan

Technical data
200/800 custom Newtonian astrograph with Romano Zen optics and carbon fiber tube
AP900 CP4 mount on Losmandy HD tripod
TS 2.5" Riccardi-Wynne corrector
ASI183mm
ZWO LRGB filters
Guiding : ZWO OAG + ASI120mm mini + AsiairV1
Luminance : 180 *60sec at -10°C
Chrominance : 30*60sec at -10°C each channel
Darks, flats and synthetic biases
Conditions : Bortle 7/8 skies in Paris' suburbs (20km from the Eiffel tower), moderate seeing, some clouds
Preprocessing and stacking with Siril, processing with Pixinsight and Rawtherapee

Howard Ritter

That’s a beautiful field, Dan, and a very impressive result from 8 inches and 8 Bortles!

As a newbie to post-processing (and a Mac user), I’d be interested to know why you do stacking in Siril when you obviously know your way around PI.

—howard

Ps. Which suburb do you live in? My wife’s sister (American) and her German husband have lived for most of their lives in Boulogne-Billancourt, though that’s Paris per se and not a suburb, if I recall correctly.

On Aug 26, 2022, at 8:26 AM, Dan_Paris <danysra@...> wrote:

[...]

Karen Christen

Wow that’s gorgeous, Dan.

Karen

AP

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Dean Jacobsen

Very nice Dan.  Looking forward to more.
--
Dean Jacobsen

Yes indeed, quite nice.

[...]

Thanks Howard, Karen, Dean and Roland for your kind words.

Howard, I do stacking in Siril as I was familiar with it before I started using Pixinsight, and I did not find compelling reasons to learn the (more complex) PI calibration and stacking processes. Apparently they give similar results, and Siril is faster. I may switch to PI if I decide to use drizzle though, as PI implementation seems to give better results.

Regarding your other question, I leave close to Orsay, a bit further out of Paris than Boulogne-Billancourt (so a bit less light pollution and more vegetation fortunately).

Clear skies,

Dan