FTDI USB-to-Single Port Serial Adapter

vsalfranc@...

Hi,
My existing USB to Port serial adapter has failed and when I replaced it with a new one I cannot connect to the mount. I have checked the port number and it is the same on the mount and before,
Whatever I do result in a failure to connect. Any idea what I am doing wrong.
Thanks for looking.

DFisch

Is it FTDI latest version?
Tom

--
TJF MOBILE

vsalfranc@...

Hi Tom,
Yes it is a FTDI version. It is absolutely identical to the old one. Same make same everything. When I look in the Devises Manager then Ports It is showing no problem. It is the same port as the old one.
The system is telling me that it is functioning correctly but it will not connect to the mount.
If I put the old one back on I can connect to the mount no problem but this one is faulty after many year of service. It doesn't always sent the signals to the mount.
Thanks for your help.
Vince

Christopher Erickson

1. The old adapter is probably fine, except for a flaky USB connection. Try a new USB cable with the adapter, if possible.

2. FTDI Serial-to-USB chips all have an electronic serial number that the PC driver can read. This is how FTDI adapters always get the right COM port number assignment, regardless of what USB port they are plugged in to. FTDI is the only Serial-to-USB chip maker that I am aware of that does this. However it is most likely that unless you manually overrode that COM port assignment in Device Manager, your new adapter has most certainly been assigned a different COM port number than your old adapter.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 6:48 AM <vsalfranc@...> wrote:
Hi Tom,
Yes it is a FTDI version. It is absolutely identical to the old one. Same make same everything. When I look in the Devises Manager then Ports It is showing no problem. It is the same port as the old one.
The system is telling me that it is functioning correctly but it will not connect to the mount.
If I put the old one back on I can connect to the mount no problem but this one is faulty after many year of service. It doesn't always sent the signals to the mount.
Thanks for your help.
Vince

Jeff B

Drivers.  It's always been the drivers for me. I had trouble with the brand new adapter from AP.  Even though the PC said it was ready for use....it wasn't.  Snooping around on device manager showed a bum driver.  So, I deleted the driver and went directly to the FDTI site and downloaded the latest one from there.

Boom!

Instant connection, to com port 3.

The universe is once again whole.....for me anyway.

Jeff

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 1:02 PM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
[...]

Manusfisch

Vince, thanks for your reply as I just bought a new one my self after some unhealthy stretch from a footfall of my granddaughter on the cord.  This is a conundrum as the computer end and the scope end have  function as told in the Device Manager and albeit limited by your old cord performance on the scope end.   I downloaded and installed the newest FTDI driver from FTDI as I did not trust automatic updates.  I can’t recall what made me do that but I was reading the whole text on the FTDI website.   I am no COM expert so I posted my reply not to be captain obvious but to continue the discussion.  The problem solving skilz of this forum are phenomenol.  Tom

On Mar 28, 2021, at 12:48, vsalfranc@... wrote:

Hi Tom,
Yes it is a FTDI version. It is absolutely identical to the old one. Same make same everything. When I look in the Devises Manager then Ports It is showing no problem. It is the same port as the old one.
The system is telling me that it is functioning correctly but it will not connect to the mount.
If I put the old one back on I can connect to the mount no problem but this one is faulty after many year of service. It doesn't always sent the signals to the mount.
Thanks for your help.
Vince

vsalfranc@...

Thank you all for your advise, it is really appreciated.
I will try to download the new driver from FTDI and see if that sorts the problem out.
Once again thank you for taking the time to reply.
vince