From where? Was: precision of ap900 gto

N. Foldager

I just receive my new mount 5 days ago (ap900 gto).I make some try this week
and i have some problems with precision pointing.What kind of precision can
we expect with that sort of mount.
I have a celestron 8" and the scope and the mount are connect with a system
who seems not very good for "orthogonalite".Perhaps the bad precision coming
here.
Bye
Vincent
France
Dear Vincent,

From where did you purchase your mount?

I am at the beginning of the runway to order a mount, but I am in
doubt whether I should order it from AP in US or from Baader
Planetarium in Germany.

I don't know if there is added EU toll when the goods goes from US
to Germany, so that the German price is higher, and what (low if
any) toll I need to pay from Germany to Denmark.
(Baader cannot tell me a German price right now because the
mounts are out of stock).

How much toll and tax did you need to pay?

From US to Denmark I have to pay 31% toll and tax.

Maybe it is better to go to US and pick it up myself?

What is your or other European's experience?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards

Niels Foldager
Copenhagen
Denmark

visonneau-vincent <visonneau-vin@...>

Hello
I bought my new mount ap900 gto in a french seller (Optique et
vision,Antibes-Juan les pins in south of france ovision@aol.com).
There is an official seller in france (http://www.medas.fr) and i think that
astrophysics didn't want to sell mounts or scope from them to us without
using official seller.
In france,the price is higher than in USA :-(( but i was afraid to purchase
directly in USA (in fact,i don't know if it is possible from france because
official company Medas like Baader in german)
Other precision,i wait my new AP 900gto more than 9 months between ordering
and receiving the mount (very very long delay).

Bye
Vincent

I just receive my new mount 5 days ago (ap900 gto).I make some try this
week
and i have some problems with precision pointing.What kind of precision
can
we expect with that sort of mount.
I have a celestron 8" and the scope and the mount are connect with a
system
who seems not very good for "orthogonalite".Perhaps the bad precision
coming
here.
Bye
Vincent
France
Dear Vincent,

From where did you purchase your mount?

I am at the beginning of the runway to order a mount, but I am in
doubt whether I should order it from AP in US or from Baader
Planetarium in Germany.

I don't know if there is added EU toll when the goods goes from US
to Germany, so that the German price is higher, and what (low if
any) toll I need to pay from Germany to Denmark.
(Baader cannot tell me a German price right now because the
mounts are out of stock).

How much toll and tax did you need to pay?

From US to Denmark I have to pay 31% toll and tax.

Maybe it is better to go to US and pick it up myself?

What is your or other European's experience?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards

Niels Foldager
Copenhagen
Denmark

Want the power to purchase wisely? Productopia has the answers.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/553

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Charles Sinsofsky <strfire@...>

THe precision of the A/P 900 mount is close to 1 arc-minute if setup
correctly. Perhaps even greater. I have done entire nights CCD imaging on my
camera and I can tell you 'because I wrote the software for them mount, and
the camera, and the control code' that the objects are being placed exactly
in the same spot of the chip over and over again accross the entire nights
sky.

I am sure Roland can confirm this also ie: get exact numbers but my 1200 and
my 900 both can perform this 'miracle' over and over again with little setup
time.

I should point out that the setup would include a god polar alignment using
the hand controller and three or four stars from different points in the
sky, a good deal of ra and dec values away from polaris.

I hope this answers the questions...

- Charles Sinsofsky

p.s. all Dsky Voice users see upgrade at the web site...thnx
www.digitalskyvoice.com

I just receive my new mount 5 days ago (ap900 gto).I make some try
this
week
and i have some problems with precision pointing.What kind of
precision
can
we expect with that sort of mount.
I have a celestron 8" and the scope and the mount are connect with a
system
who seems not very good for "orthogonalite".Perhaps the bad precision
coming
here.
Bye
Vincent
France
Dear Vincent,

From where did you purchase your mount?

I am at the beginning of the runway to order a mount, but I am in
doubt whether I should order it from AP in US or from Baader
Planetarium in Germany.

I don't know if there is added EU toll when the goods goes from US
to Germany, so that the German price is higher, and what (low if
any) toll I need to pay from Germany to Denmark.
(Baader cannot tell me a German price right now because the
mounts are out of stock).

How much toll and tax did you need to pay?

From US to Denmark I have to pay 31% toll and tax.

Maybe it is better to go to US and pick it up myself?

What is your or other European's experience?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards

Niels Foldager
Copenhagen
Denmark

Want the power to purchase wisely? Productopia has the answers.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/553

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to tablesaws.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/552

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

RCK <rkuberek@...>

Charles Sinsofsky wrote:

I should point out that the setup would include a god polar alignment using
the hand controller and three or four stars from different points in the
sky, a good deal of ra and dec values away from polaris.
Charles,

Do you repeat the N-Polar alignment procedure separately for different stars?

Bob Kuberek

Charles Sinsofsky <strfire@...>

Yes, I use the polar alignment with the lastest hand controller code, you
must be at least 2.4 or later to use this method.

What you do is initally point the telescope roughly at the pole star. Then
choose a given star say 'deneb to start' and then manual move the scope to
deneb. then once on deneb you use the telescope hand controller to select
the star deneb in polar alignment mode and then auto slew it ot polaris
after you select the star deneb. the scope will slew to polaris, at this
time you let go of the hand controller and use the alt/az only to center
polaris as well as you can. then you ask for re-calibrate and you choose a
star menu comes up, this time choose deneb again the scope will now auto
slew to deneb by itself, when you reach deneb, using the 'hand controller
key n,e,w,s buttons center deneb in a medium power eyepiece, then press
goto, the telescope will auto calibrate the new position of deneb and then
autoslew back to polaris, then polaris will now be off center once again you
use the alt az on your physical mount and then press re-calibrate and then
ask for deneb again, I usually repeat the same star 5 times, then I choose
another star a great deal of distance away from deneb and go through that
one 5 times and then I choose another star and do it 5 times and then I go
back and do each star i used one time to ensure everything is pefect ie: the
scope auto slews to each star and back to polaris always dead center and
then I exit the polar alignment routine.

with this method i can expose 30 minutes unguided with my camera, and i
have done several all night ling 10 mins exposures with the ccd camera, go
to my web site www.digitalskyvoice.com and look at the gallery photos all
unguided shots.

I hope this clears it up...the polar alignment routine and the mount will
produce highly accurate polar alignment if you take the time to do the
procedure I outlined here.

- charles sinsofsky

I should point out that the setup would include a god polar alignment
using
the hand controller and three or four stars from different points in the
sky, a good deal of ra and dec values away from polaris.
Charles,

Do you repeat the N-Polar alignment procedure separately for different
stars?

Bob Kuberek

GET $10 OFF ANY ORDER @ healthshop.com! No min. purchase req.
Save on vitamins & supplements. Use coupon code: EGROUPS at checkout
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/615

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Ray Gralak <ray@...>

Hi Charles,

I think Vincent's concern is that his optical axis may not
be orthogonal to his mount. In that case, even the most accurate
mount and polar alignment will result in pointing errors if not
compensated for in software. This is not much of a problem with
high quality refractors since their optical axis is usually very
close to the mechanical axis. However, other types of scopes may
have a poorly aligned optical axis inherent to the OTA, or from
the interface to the mount (i.e. mounting plate holes not drilled
exactly straight on the OTA's mechanical axis).

So, I think someone asked about this but I'm not sure I heard you
answer, but does the AP Goto firmware internally measure optical
axis non-orthoginality (from a number of stars) and adjust for it?
If not, is there a plan to do allow this in a future rev of the
firmware?

For what it is worth, I know that Software Bisque's version of TPoint
program will measure and correct this and many other types of errors.
I use it and it works fantastically. I know it works with The Sky, but
I don't think it works with Digital Sky Voice (yet??).

-Ray Gralak

I just receive my new mount 5 days ago (ap900 gto).I make some try
this
week
and i have some problems with precision pointing.What kind of
precision
can
we expect with that sort of mount.
I have a celestron 8" and the scope and the mount are
connect with a
system
who seems not very good for "orthogonalite".Perhaps the bad
precision
coming
here.
Bye
Vincent
France
Dear Vincent,

From where did you purchase your mount?

I am at the beginning of the runway to order a mount, but I am in
doubt whether I should order it from AP in US or from Baader
Planetarium in Germany.

I don't know if there is added EU toll when the goods goes from US
to Germany, so that the German price is higher, and what (low if
any) toll I need to pay from Germany to Denmark.
(Baader cannot tell me a German price right now because the
mounts are out of stock).

How much toll and tax did you need to pay?

From US to Denmark I have to pay 31% toll and tax.

Maybe it is better to go to US and pick it up myself?

What is your or other European's experience?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards

Niels Foldager
Copenhagen
Denmark

Want the power to purchase wisely? Productopia has the answers.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/553

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to tablesaws.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/552

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

GET WHAT YOU DESERVE! A NextCard Platinum VISA: DOUBLE Rewards points,
NO annual fee & rates as low as 9.9% FIXED APR. Apply online today!
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/606

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

howard lazarus <lazhow@...>

Hi Charles;
Howard Lazarus here. On my keypad which I got back in Oct 1998 I maually have to
move the scope back to the selected star and then press goto to go back to
Polaris. Now unless I read you incorrectly you are pressing the recal button and
it goes to the original selected star by automatic slewing???. Under my system
keypad I go back to the selected star manually.

1. When does it pay to send in the keypad for the most important updates.

2. Do you have any idea how long it would take to get the keypad back.

3.Do you have any info on the computer chip for the main computer box..when
coming and what we can expect it's usage to us give us.

Lastly, you know that I have had many e mail contacts with you and I applaud
your efforts as well as you willingness to aid us poor amateurs....but...I have
no problems with the goto precision and then only with three at most attempts.
Simply by using a southern star and being a wise guy and having the scope on a
polar aligned PIER...the alignment process I have which is obviously the not the
newest works just fine and even better with your program.
Wishing much success
Howard

Charles Sinsofsky wrote:

[...]

Hello All,
This most likly applies to all goto people, so the latest hand controller
code is 2.5, but i am finnishing 2.6 which will be a very bug upgrade new
features etc.

ok first, how long to upgrade a hand controller, i suggest everyone wait
just little longer the new chip code is finnished and i am now in trhe
prcoess of setting up the internet based upgrading of the hand contorller
the chips will most likly be available from a/p in late september and soon
after the web based update system will be in place and it will be very easy
to use, I will design it that way.

So I hope this answers some questions concerning the hand controller.

Special Note: A major upgrade to dsky voice 2.02.09 will be placed on the
net next week 'early' and it contains a major upgrade as well as changes to
the tour export and import facilites all will be on the
net...www.digitalskyvoice.com ....

latest news on 3,0 ---> well 2.02.09 will be out first...3.0 (FREE
upgrade, will be in september most likly...stay tuneded.

-= charles sinsofsky

[...]

Click Here to apply for a NextCard Internet Visa and start earning
FREE travel in HALF the time with the NextCard Rew@rds Program.
http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/449

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Charles Sinsofsky <strfire@...>

That message should be read 'big upgrade...lets hope its not a bug upgrade!!

hahahah - charles

Charles Sinsofsky wrote:

That message should be read 'big upgrade...lets hope its not a bug upgrade!!
Freudian slip? :)

Bob Kuberek