From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Jun 11, 2022 6:09 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Frankenscope Stage I

This is the project that I envisioned a couple of years ago, a “heart transplant” for my venerable Meade 16” LX200 SCT using a new A-P 1600GTO mount. A trifling mod to the tripod deck was all that was needed to take the adapter for the mount base. plus a dovetail bar on the OTA to engage the saddle on the mount. It’s carrying 100# of counterweights plus the 25# or so weight of the counterweight shaft. It’s what I had envisioned mentally, so I’m glad to see that IRL it looks and fits even better than I’d hoped.

It will spend some time indoors while I familiarize myself with the mount, then my son and I will disassemble it and move it to the patio, where it will live under a pair of TeleGizmos’ 365 covers.

Frankenscope Stage II, should it ever come to life, will substitute a PlaneWave 17 for the Meade.

—howard

Howard Hedlund

Very Pretty!

When you get the Franken-baby set up outside, be sure to set up a way to mitigate moisture under the Telegizmos.  Some environments can lead to excessive moisture from dew being unable to dry our under the covers without help.  We have seen this cause all sorts of problems, and not just to our equipment.  Even a small incandescent light bulb underneath can provide enough warmth.

Howard Ritter

Thanks, Howard. Several have made this suggestion, and I’m going to implement it as well as bring the camera and the external CPO4 control box indoors when indicated.

—howard