Enter time into AP polar scope software

drgert1

Hi,

How to enter the time in the "Astro-Physics Right Angle Polar Alignment Scope (RAPAS) - v1.0.0.6) software?
(Refer to windows 10 version on PC)

I want to get the visual appearance of the crosshair / Polaris during the day before I get to the observing location.
Maybe just print out a screen copy?

The software allows entering the longitude but there is no way to enter the time in advance.

Is there a fixed version of the software to accomplish this task?

Thanks,
Gert

Dale Ghent

I think most people just use a polar align app on their phone to get a matching image when out in the field. It's what I did when I used the RAPAS.

iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/polar-scope-align-pro/id970161373

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_kechko.Polaralignment

On Jun 12, 2021, at 15:38, drgert1 via groups.io <drgert1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi,

How to enter the time in the "Astro-Physics Right Angle Polar Alignment Scope (RAPAS) - v1.0.0.6) software?
(Refer to windows 10 version on PC)

I want to get the visual appearance of the crosshair / Polaris during the day before I get to the observing location.
Maybe just print out a screen copy?

The software allows entering the longitude but there is no way to enter the time in advance.

Is there a fixed version of the software to accomplish this task?

Thanks,
Gert

Christopher Erickson

I think this Android polar alignment app is MUCH better.

And it supports both AP polar alignment scope models.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 9:47 AM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

I think most people just use a polar align app on their phone to get a matching image when out in the field. It's what I did when I used the RAPAS.

iOS: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/polar-scope-align-pro/id970161373

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_kechko.Polaralignment

> On Jun 12, 2021, at 15:38, drgert1 via groups.io <drgert1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> How to enter the time in the "Astro-Physics Right Angle Polar Alignment Scope (RAPAS) - v1.0.0.6) software?
> (Refer to windows 10 version on PC)
>
> I want to get the visual appearance of the crosshair / Polaris during the day before I get to the observing location.
> Maybe just print out a screen copy?
>
> The software allows entering the longitude but there is no way to enter the time in advance.
>
> Is there a fixed version of the software to accomplish this task?
>
> Thanks,
> Gert

drgert1

But do all these phone apps work when there is no signal connection at the observing location?
Cheers,
Gert

Dale Ghent

What would they need signal for? Phone GPS for location and its own internal clock are all that are required.