Topics

East Slewing Doesn't Work on AP1100

Kent10

Hi,

I have an AP 1100 mount.  Everything was working fine last night until I did a Go To.  I thought my mount was lost and that I accidentally synced on something.  I tried syncing on a known object making sure the weight shaft was not pointing up.  Slewing still did not work correctly.  I put it in Park 3 and manually corrected the scope so it was exactly in the Park 3 position.  Then I played with the arrows.  I had a hard stop in one direction but I forget which.  I had to bring the scope all the way around for it to work (on the Dec. axis).

Then still in Park 3, I tried the arrow buttons again and all of them work except for the East direction.  There is no sound at all.  I am not sure the above Go To problems I had are related.  I tried again this morning with a freshly charged battery and the East still does not move.  All other directions work.  I checked the cable connections and all seem fine.  What else do I need to check?

Thanks very much, Kent

Howdy, Kent.

It sounds like your CP4 has run into a software limit and needs to be moved out of the limit. This is a feature that helps prevent pier collisions, but when the mount is moved a large angle with sync or recalibration (common if recovering from a bad sync) it can trigger the limit anyways.

First, the LED on the front panel of the CP4 should give an indication of what is going on with the mount. Is the LED solid red when you power on and initialize the mount, or does it turn amber? When you press the East button, does the LED turn amber? Finally, what firmware version is in your CP4?

Thanks,

Liam Plybon

Astro-Physics

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 08:39 AM, Liam Plybon wrote:

Howdy, Kent.

It sounds like your CP4 has run into a software limit and needs to be moved out of the limit. This is a feature that helps prevent pier collisions, but when the mount is moved a large angle with sync or recalibration (common if recovering from a bad sync) it can trigger the limit anyways.

First, the LED on the front panel of the CP4 should give an indication of what is going on with the mount. Is the LED solid red when you power on and initialize the mount, or does it turn amber? When you press the East button, does the LED turn amber? Finally, what firmware version is in your CP4?

Thanks,

Liam Plybon

Astro-Physics

Thanks very much for the help, Liam.  I just checked and the light is always amber.  When I turn it on it is amber and when I slew in all the directions, N, S, W and East, the light remains amber.  I don't know what firmware version of CP4 I have but I will research how to find that out and when I do, I will let you know.  Thanks again, Kent

Kent10

I am still looking into the CP4 firmware version but I see in the version history there have been lots of updates.  I haven't updated mine since using the mount so it is at least, well over a year old.

Kent10

I am still only guessing on the CP4 firmware but I had my mount sent to George in July, 2018 and if I recall correctly he updated the firmware.  Version VCP4-P01-11, 12/19/17 is the latest before July, 2018.  I know I have never updated it since then.

Kent10

I am getting ready for some observing tonight.  I decided to try a Go To on Mars.  No movement at all.  Tried some other objects.  Go To does not work.  Still only the N, S, and W buttons work but East does not. No sound at all.  Thanks!

Roland Christen

You have managed to drive your mount into the East limit. Set your keypad to Autostart NO. Send your mount to Park1. Then power off, loosen the clutches and manually move the mount to Park5. Turn power back on, select New Setup and then select park position 5.

You should be ok to resume operation and can check by sending the mount to any of the 5 park positions. once that works ok, you should be able to slew anywhere in the sky.

I am getting ready for some observing tonight.  I decided to try a Go To on Mars.  No movement at all.  Tried some other objects.  Go To does not work.  Still only the N, S, and W buttons work but East does not. No sound at all.  Thanks!

Christopher Erickson

The somewhat mysterious and mostly undocumented meridian safety limits in the CP4 firmware will turn the CP4 light amber, but so will a motor stall, low power situation, a motor cable problem, a motor relative encoder problem or a CP4 I/O problem.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 11:22 AM Kent10 <kent.moore@...> wrote:
I am still only guessing on the CP4 firmware but I had my mount sent to George in July, 2018 and if I recall correctly he updated the firmware.  Version VCP4-P01-11, 12/19/17 is the latest before July, 2018.  I know I have never updated it since then.

Roland Christen

It wouldn't be a motor stall if the N-S and W buttons work. It's definitely a situation where an errant sync or recal has placed the axis hour angle underneath the mount.

Roland

The somewhat mysterious and mostly undocumented meridian safety limits in the CP4 firmware will turn the CP4 light amber, but so will a motor stall, low power situation, a motor cable problem, a motor relative encoder problem or a CP4 I/O problem.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 11:22 AM Kent10 <kent.moore@...> wrote:
I am still only guessing on the CP4 firmware but I had my mount sent to George in July, 2018 and if I recall correctly he updated the firmware.  Version VCP4-P01-11, 12/19/17 is the latest before July, 2018.  I know I have never updated it since then.

Kent10

Thanks so much, Roland.  I am back in business.  I don't have a Park 5 in my keypad, but I still put the scope into the Park 5 position manually.  I noticed then that East was working so all I did was manually find Mars, did a sync and then tried Jupiter and Albireo.  The mount slewed to each.  I will keep viewing tonight but all appears well so far.  I wonder if I should update the CP4 at some point soon.  Perhaps that had nothing to do with my issue.  I still don't know how it happened but it is cold and I was wearing gloves so maybe I hit some wrong buttons.  I don't recall hearing the sync beep but that still could have happened.

Thanks again!  Kent

Roland Christen

Try not to use sync in the keypad. If done wrong it can cause the mount to be lost. Use the Rcal button after slewing to an object and centering.

Anyway, I'm glad it worked for you. Many times it is simpler to just start fresh if everything gets bollixed up. Keypad set to autoconnect NO and start from new position can bring you back from oblivion. It's like a factory reset.

Thanks so much, Roland.  I am back in business.  I don't have a Park 5 in my keypad, but I still put the scope into the Park 5 position manually.  I noticed then that East was working so all I did was manually find Mars, did a sync and then tried Jupiter and Albireo.  The mount slewed to each.  I will keep viewing tonight but all appears well so far.  I wonder if I should update the CP4 at some point soon.  Perhaps that had nothing to do with my issue.  I still don't know how it happened but it is cold and I was wearing gloves so maybe I hit some wrong buttons.  I don't recall hearing the sync beep but that still could have happened.

Thanks again!  Kent

Kent10

It's working perfectly now.  Tried many objects.  All really close.  Yes, I have seen your comments on Sync vs Rcal as well as in the manual, and so I rarely use Sync.  Only when the mount is completely off or I must be inadvertently syncing.  I'll remember to do the autoconnect No if this happens again to reset all.

Appreciate your help.  Kent

Worsel

Kent

Glad you are in business again!

FYI

The firmware version is the fourth line from the top in the AP V2 driver.

If you only have the keypad, the firmware will appear briefly on power up.

Also, you should be able to find the version with

"Correct firmware version is now being displayed when seeking keypad status via “3=Tools → 0=Status → (North Key) → Code Level: V4.19.3”."

Bryan

Kent10

Thanks Bryan.  I am very happy to have it solved though I was looking forward to some manual viewing tonight.  I suppose I can still do that if I really want to :o).  I do only have the keypad.  I see the keypad version on startup.  I have V4.19.3.  And I also see it in the Tools/Status menu.  But I think the CP4 firmware is different.  I think you can see it after hooking up the CP4 in a browser.  I found that in the manual under updating which is a fairly long process.

I already had some decent views of Mars tonight, though not nearly as good as in October.  Going out after I eat for some more fun.

Kent

Jeffrey Wolff

I had the same problem a few months ago. I thought my East button on my keypad stopped working. I later figured out that my mount was lost. Not sure how it happened but easy enough to recover from.

I spent some time last month replacing the grease on the mount. I noticed I could only move so far in RA before it would stop. I would do a park and then unpark in a different position to continue all the was around in RA.