Eagle pier extensions: alternate fasteners?

Jeffc

I have two 8” extensions which I never separate when transporting the Eagle tripod/pier.

As you know, the two 8” extensions are joined by three machines knobs.

Since I never separate these pieces I’d like to replace the machines knobs with button screws (similar to the screw in the picture below).    Replacing the knobs with screws will make it a tad easier to transport — the three knobs tend to interfere with the packing of the tubes.

The screws I have on hand are the same thread as the machine knob , but the head looks rather small.

I was thinking someone familiar with McMaster-Carr could point me to a product… or does AP have a screw kit for the Extension tubes?   (I’m looking to use 6 screws here.)

Thx!

-jeff

Mike Dodd

On 8/22/2021 10:18 PM, Jeffc wrote:
The screws I have on hand are the same thread as the machine knob , but
the head looks rather small.
I would just use a thicker washer to emulate the solid knob. To me, it looks like the washer under your button-head screw is ALMOST good enough as-is, but potentially could bend into the slot in the pier. A thicker washer or two of the existing washers probably would be fine.

--- Mike

M Hambrick

Hi Jeff

The setup that you show in your picture with the button head screw looks OK to me, but Mike has a good point about using a thicker washer. I can't tell if the screws on the pier are 5/16 or 3/8, but here is an example of some extra thick washers from McMaster.

Of course you could also just stack a couple of standard washers to get the same effect.

Mike

Jeffc

Thx for the pointer.   Good point about the washer.   The one in the picture is “stolen” from a Machined Knob screw.   In the case of the knob :  the diameter of the knob is the same as the washer shown, while the button socket cap is quite smaller.

Btw The button socket cap screw in pic is from a box of 50 1/4-20 X 3/4.

I should just poke around looking for a screw with a bigger head.. I will need washers also so the thicker washers would make sense.
(Ideally, I’d like a screw that takes the 1/4 hex key.)

Thx!

On 8/23/2021 7:30 PM, Jeffc wrote:
(Ideally, I’d like a screw that takes the 1/4 hex key.)
Search for "socket head cap screw." These are commonly used in astronomy, especially for mounting dovetail plates. Here's a link: <https://www.prospectfastener.com/other/socket-head-cap-screws?page=4&_vsrefdom=adwords&msclkid=0adf7e0a88f3160baba61f2eb928a87d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20DSA%20-%20Products&utm_term=%2Fother%2Fsocket-head-cap-screws&utm_content=%2Fother%2Fsocket-head-cap-screws>

You probably can find what you need at your local (real) hardware store.

--- Mike

David Albers

Edited

Mike Dodd

On 8/23/2021 8:04 PM, David Albers wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]

Maybe something like this...
https://www.mcmaster.com/socket-head-cap-screws/rounded-head-screws/flanged-rounded-head-screws/
What a great find! Those look perfect for his application. Be sure to get stainless steel.

--- Mike

Jeffc

These do indeed look very nice.