DSLR on Mach2

Shailesh Trivedi

I know it is an overkill, but is there a way I can hook up a DSLR to my Mach2?  Like perhaps purchasing a D to V ADM plate?

I am considering one of the RST135-E options for DSLRs and want an option to hook up AP130 or TEC160 but am getting close to my Losmandy FHD tripod option which I use on my Mach2, and have also used it for my AP1100AE.

Shailesh

Joseph Beyer

ADM has a number of different DSLR camera mounting options including plates and clamps.

On Jan 19, 2022, at 12:45 PM, Shailesh Trivedi <shailesh.trivedi@...> wrote:

I know it is an overkill, but is there a way I can hook up a DSLR to my Mach2?  Like perhaps purchasing a D to V ADM plate?

I am considering one of the RST135-E options for DSLRs and want an option to hook up AP130 or TEC160 but am getting close to my Losmandy FHD tripod option which I use on my Mach2, and have also used it for my AP1100AE.

Shailesh

Jeffc

Sure.  

I use my Canon Ra (and 5Diii) on the Mach2 with the AP 130GT and many other OTAs.

I presume when you say “hook up” you are referring to “mounting” the camera on the Mach2 for doing wide field with a camera lens.  

I have also used cameras with 1/4-20 mounts on the losmandy plates.   One solution I’ve had for a long time is a losmandy male-male plate, then a beefy losmandy 3-way camera mount.
ADM makes the same parts.   

An easier solution is to just use a standard tripod “head” (which you might already have) mounted to a regular dovetail plate.  
For example I have a bogen 3-way head w/ quick release… I mount this to a losmandy DUP plate.    The tripod heads are usually 3/8-16 (not 1/4-20) but I found there are enough holes in the dovetail plate to accommodate the tripod head. 

-jeff

On Jan 19, 2022, at 12:45 PM, Shailesh Trivedi <shailesh.trivedi@...> wrote:

Shailesh

Eric Weiner

Similar to Jeff, a ADM D-series to Arca-Swiss for lenses which have feet (I actually use the V-series on my 135E), and a Arca-Swiss to Arca-Swiss bi-directional clamp for attaching the camera body (assuming you use an L-bracket) for lenses which don't have feet.

https://www.admaccessories.com/product/d2as-d-series-to-arca-swiss-adapter-converts-d-series-mounts-to-an-arca-swiss-series-mount/

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Release-Subtend-Bidirectional-Double/dp/B08H5RKNSR/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=arca+swiss+90+degree+plate&qid=1642627714&sprefix=arca-swiss+90+d%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-6

Stone, Jack G

Another perspective – that I found could be useful: Focusing fixture.

There are several representations on websites.

But adding the focus controller and belt drive to the lense focusing – with all that glass on longer exposures.

Just a thought!

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eric Weiner
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 1:31 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] DSLR on Mach2

Similar to Jeff, a ADM D-series to Arca-Swiss for lenses which have feet (I actually use the V-series on my 135E), and a Arca-Swiss to Arca-Swiss bi-directional clamp for attaching the camera body (assuming you use an L-bracket) for lenses which don't have feet.

https://www.admaccessories.com/product/d2as-d-series-to-arca-swiss-adapter-converts-d-series-mounts-to-an-arca-swiss-series-mount/

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Release-Subtend-Bidirectional-Double/dp/B08H5RKNSR/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=arca+swiss+90+degree+plate&qid=1642627714&sprefix=arca-swiss+90+d%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-6

Shailesh Trivedi

Thank you, Joseph, Jeffc, Eric, and Jack. I am still consideringthe RST 135 E but am not fully convinced yet.

Shailesh

Stone, Jack G

Shailesh,

Some often piggy back on the main scope.

There are sidereal options – IOptron is one that is less expensive by far for exposures < 2mins, others have achieved longer exposure times.

You could use Astrobin site for equipment search (DSLR w/GEM or Sidereal) – evaluate the setup and results.  And you can even email the submitters for more information and guidance.

Jack ~

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shailesh Trivedi
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2022 3:06 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] DSLR on Mach2

Thank you, Joseph, Jeffc, Eric, and Jack. I am still consideringthe RST 135 E but am not fully convinced yet.

Shailesh