Does your Mach2 setup look like this?

Roland Christen

In order to see the effects of really overloading the mount, I put about 80 lb of equipment on it and moved the counterweights way down on an extended shaft, as you can see in the image. Yes indeed I got some ringing at the end of a long slew, especially when the scope was pointing up towards the zenith. With a little change in the parameters i got it to be perfectly stable, and it tracks like a champ. I don't recommend putting this much on the mount, and it would be better to have the counterweights higher up the shaft of course.

However, if you have anything resembling this setup, or are using a smaller diameter counterweight shaft with heavy counterweights, and have ringing at the end of a slew, then drop me a line at chris1011@... and I can help. Please include a quick snapshot of your setup, if possible, and the amount of weight the mount is carrying if you know that.

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Bill Long

That's awesome. I have not had any problems with my 12.5" iDK and PL16803 on the Mach 2. I did not try adding a GTX on top though. I would not have enough counterweights to safely do that though.

Is that your 10" Mak Cass Astrograph?

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 2:14 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Does your Mach2 setup look like this?

In order to see the effects of really overloading the mount, I put about 80 lb of equipment on it and moved the counterweights way down on an extended shaft, as you can see in the image. Yes indeed I got some ringing at the end of a long slew, especially when the scope was pointing up towards the zenith. With a little change in the parameters i got it to be perfectly stable, and it tracks like a champ. I don't recommend putting this much on the mount, and it would be better to have the counterweights higher up the shaft of course.

However, if you have anything resembling this setup, or are using a smaller diameter counterweight shaft with heavy counterweights, and have ringing at the end of a slew, then drop me a line at chris1011@... and I can help. Please include a quick snapshot of your setup, if possible, and the amount of weight the mount is carrying if you know that.

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

M Hambrick

Hi Roland

I don't have any ringing with my setup but I was wondering if having those cable bundles just hanging off the back of the cameras in your setup can cause guiding issues with non-AE mounts. 

I use a similar cabling arrangement as yours with my non-AE 1100 mount (see photo), but I suspected that the long, free hanging cable loops might have created some guiding issues, so I started tying them off at the mount to make a shorter loop to minimize the weight pulling on the camera.

Mike

Roland Christen

Yes, 10 F6.3 Mak-Cass, QSI-WSG8, 130GTX, QuadTT, and ZWO 2600 Cmos. Along with several dovetail plates, etc.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Sep 13, 2021 5:58 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Does your Mach2 setup look like this?

That's awesome. I have not had any problems with my 12.5" iDK and PL16803 on the Mach 2. I did not try adding a GTX on top though. I would not have enough counterweights to safely do that though.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

I use off-axis guiding and lock my focuser, so there is no effect from cables dragging. Might be a problem if you use a separate guide scope?

Rolando

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Sep 13, 2021 6:01 pm

Hi Roland

I don't have any ringing with my setup but I was wondering if having those cable bundles just hanging off the back of the cameras in your setup can cause guiding issues with non-AE mounts. 

I use a similar cabling arrangement as yours with my non-AE 1100 mount (see photo), but I suspected that the long, free hanging cable loops might have created some guiding issues, so I started tying them off at the mount to make a shorter loop to minimize the weight pulling on the camera.

Mike

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Mike,

It is always best to tie off the cables to support them.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of M Hambrick
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 6:01 PM

Hi Roland

Mike

Bill Long

Quite the setup. The Mach 2 is an amazingly good performer even under significant load. I personally think it's the best encoder mount on the market in it's price range and it's not even close. Would love to see some raw subs from the Mak Cass Astrograph sometime. 

Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 4:23 PM

Yes, 10 F6.3 Mak-Cass, QSI-WSG8, 130GTX, QuadTT, and ZWO 2600 Cmos. Along with several dovetail plates, etc.

Rolando

Sent: Mon, Sep 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Bill Long

What is that scope and camera combo on the bottom?

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 4:01 PM

Hi Roland

Mike

Jeffc

Here’s the Mach2 with the Meade12-ACF (this is an early version with the smooth glossy tube and the “RC” label).  Also attached is a Clement focuser (kinda heavy) , Lumicon GEG with reducer lens, some AP 2.7” extensions and the QHY-268m camera & filterwheel.   On top of the OTA is a UPBV2 which weighs nearly nothing. 

-jeff

On Sep 13, 2021, at 5:14 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Rolando

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Joseph Beyer

I'm hoping my Mach1 will someday grow up to look exactly like your Mach2.  There'll likely need to be an exchange of money (does A-P take cryptocurrency yet?) along with some other mundane tasks of course!  Roland: in most of the images of your rigs they are sitting on portable piers rather than permanent.  Is this the way you have your observatories set up? For flexibility maybe?

Joe 

Roland Christen

Roland: in most of the images of your rigs they are sitting on portable piers rather than permanent
Always have to be able to change mounts and setups for testing issues that come up.

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Sep 14, 2021 12:32 pm

I'm hoping my Mach1 will someday grow up to look exactly like your Mach2.  There'll likely need to be an exchange of money (does A-P take cryptocurrency yet?) along with some other mundane tasks of course!  Roland: in most of the images of your rigs they are sitting on portable piers rather than permanent.  Is this the way you have your observatories set up? For flexibility maybe?

Joe 

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Nick Iversen

Is there a secret option on the Mach1 to download the upgrade to a Mach2? I can't find it.

KHursh

Not exactly. This was before I balanced the Stowaway taking off the 18# weight and moving the 10# all the way up.