Topics

Dim hand controller keys #Keypad

Frank Seminaro

First post to the group.  Please be kind : )

I recently acquired an AP1200 CP3. Fantastic mount coming from a G11. There is no comparison.  However, the hand controller keys are very dim. So much in fact, that I sometimes need to use a flashlight. I've included a picture.  Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks,
Frank

Terri Zittritsch

Hey Frank, I've called AP about this as I thought it was a defect as well (on a new keypad).   The response I received is that the keys are glow in the dark if they're charged a bit beforehand.    I haven't noticed this yet (glow in the dark) and am probably leaning towards having to memorize and/or just use my headlight.   It is a bit inconvenient and a bit of a design flaw.   I find that I really like to have a hand controller and not having one is really inconvenient.     Maybe a future upgradable design update will remedy this.

Terri

Christopher Erickson

The AP hand controllers are a standard, custom programmable, industrial grade, tough, hand controller designed for controlling big industeial machinery. They have a special display that is good to -40F/C. Very nice! AP loads the controllers with their own custom keyboard membrane, firmware, red display lens and coiled cable and connector. I don't think AP has any control over the keypad back lighting intensity. I could be wrong. I use a HotechUSA astro-Aimer flashlight with UV LED's for recharging the glow of the keypad. Or I might use a Nebo Mycro HL20H red LED headlamp to help with seeing the buttons. If you end up using the keypad a lot, you will get used to the button locations quickly and not need any additional lighting.

If I am doing a lot of solar work, I take the red lens out of the AP display so it becomes easy to read in daylight.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020, 12:59 PM Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@...> wrote:
Hey Frank, I've called AP about this as I thought it was a defect as well (on a new keypad).   The response I received is that the keys are glow in the dark if they're charged a bit beforehand.    I haven't noticed this yet (glow in the dark) and am probably leaning towards having to memorize and/or just use my headlight.   It is a bit inconvenient and a bit of a design flaw.   I find that I really like to have a hand controller and not having one is really inconvenient.     Maybe a future upgradable design update will remedy this.

Terri

Greg Salyer

You take the red lens out and you can see the display in daylight? Is that all it takes?

Greg

On Nov 20, 2020, at 6:59 PM, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

[...]

Yep.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020, 2:37 PM Greg Salyer <astronutcase@...> wrote:
[...]

Jeff B

After all these years, I did not know that.  Thanks!

Jeff

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 8:35 PM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
[...]

Woody Schlom

Christopher,

I didn’t realize the keys were glow-in-the-dark.  Duh!  I keep mine in the case most of the time and didn’t realize the keys could/would glow if “charged.”

But I am familiar with charging similar glow-in-the-dark materials with a bright UV flashlight.  And I just recently got a super bright one from Fenix that’s white or UV.  It’s the same as their white/red one, but this one’s white/UV.  And since it’s so bright, it charges glow-in-the-dark materials quickly.

Thanks for the tip.

All that said however, I mostly use either SkySafari running on a phone or tablet, or my laptop running TheSkyX to control the mount.

Woody

[...]

Daniel Marcus

Hi Christopher
Just curious how you remove and reinstall the red lens? (hand controller is at the clubs Obs 1 hr away LOL) Without seeing the hand controller, but looking at the manual, it looks like you need to take the hand controller apart to remove the red filter? Not sure I want club members doing that on a routine basis, sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Dan Marcus

[...]

You will have to dissect the hand controller a bit. Open up the controller and flip back or take out take out the display module and you will have access to the rectangular red lens that the BRIGHT BLUE gas-discharge display shines through. The lens is held in place with double-sided tape around it's perimeter. You can gently pry it lose. There should be a clear lens there too. Leave the clear layer in place and reassemble. If there isn't, you can make one with any clear plastic you can come up with at the hardware store, etc. If you want to re-install the red lens, you can always just stick it to the outside of the controller, over the display window. Use scotch tape, or maybe thin strips of double-sided foam tape, or whatever, to secure it in place.

I hope this helps.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 4:56 PM Daniel Marcus <DMa3141551@...> wrote:
[...]

Once you have the original red lens out, you could also get some red lens material (Rubylith?) and cut it to a slightly larger size that would be held in place over the display by the controller's rubber boot.

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 5:49 PM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
[...]

Don Anderson

Hi Chris
Good to know about being able to remove the red lens from the display. When we can get back to solar (hopefully sooner rather than later) imaging, I will definite try that.

Don Anderson

On Friday, November 20, 2020, 04:59:38 p.m. MST, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

[...]

Like that idea!

Don Anderson