Dew control for Mach2

Shailesh Trivedi

I am a recent owner of a Mach2. In Northern California, presently the dew point is quite high, consequently dew droplets form after 7:30pm. Is there a way to control or eliminate dew formation on the mount? 

Shailesh

Dale Ghent

I wouldn't worry at all about dew on the mount itself. Dew heaters that would warm its entire surface area to above ambient would be impracticable at any rate.

On Dec 2, 2021, at 12:35, Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@brightfeathers.com> wrote:

I am a recent owner of a Mach2. In Northern California, presently the dew point is quite high, consequently dew droplets form after 7:30pm. Is there a way to control or eliminate dew formation on the mount?

Shailesh

Shailesh Trivedi

Dale,

The dew here nowadays in Sacramento makes it dripping wet, as if from a rain shower, hence my concern.

In the very least I have to protect the CP4, not sure about the rest.

Shailesh 

Dale Ghent

If you're concerned about the CP, you can take an old hand towel or something of the sort and wrap the CP with it, and secure it with a small bungee or the like. People run their systems in far wetter climes without much ado.

On Dec 2, 2021, at 13:48, Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@brightfeathers.com> wrote:

Dale,

The dew here nowadays in Sacramento makes it dripping wet, as if from a rain shower, hence my concern.

Shailesh

dvjbaja

Just place an old t-shirt around the mount loosely during very wet conditions.  

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note9, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 12/2/21 10:49 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Dew control for Mach2

Dale,

Shailesh 

Joe Zeglinski

Hi Shailesh,

After my AP-1200, with its traditionally RA  axis-mounted CP4 (at the time),  shorted out – twice – from heavy dew on some sessions,  rolling off the OTA every time  it passes across the Prime Meridian, I decided to finger-squeeze in some (black) “silicone sealer”, around all “four edges” of the Ethernet Port’s panel  connector, the most exposed, worst sealed, (original CP4 at least),  of all the CP4 panel connectors. The others are  extremely well bolted, storm-proof,  to the panel’s underside.

I suppose  dew could still fall directly into the open “unoccupied cable” sockets, but at least the edge-sealed, now  higher edges,  would deviate  the dew,  streaming down the face of the panel,  like a river’s levy. 
I then also  purchased the AP Plastic Filler Plug Kit,  to block dew direct entry. Both measures are also great prevention  for wind blown electrically conductive dust, in the open field or even an observatory in dusty climates.

Just another preventative measure,  for an expensive and  essential  electronic device.
Joe Z.

Sent: Thursday, December 2, 2021 1:48 PM

Dale,

Shailesh

Greg McCall

FYI , a minor point is that the surface temperature needs to be above the dew point and not ambient temperature. 

Woody Schlom

Far wetter locations for sure -- as in Louisiana.

I've never heard of people concerned about dew on their mounts before -- not
even far lesser mounts than AP.

When my equipment dews up and the dew heater can't cope any more, I just put
a 365 Cover over the scope and let it hang down below the mount and
controller box.

I have an older Mach1. It came with a little coated Nylon bag I could put
the controller into and hang from the mount or tripod. But I got tired of
that and mounted the controller directly.

Woody

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Dale Ghent
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2021 10:58 AM

If you're concerned about the CP, you can take an old hand towel or
something of the sort and wrap the CP with it, and secure it with a small
bungee or the like. People run their systems in far wetter climes without
much ado.

On Dec 2, 2021, at 13:48, Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@brightfeathers.com>
wrote:

Dale,

The dew here nowadays in Sacramento makes it dripping wet, as if from a
rain shower, hence my concern.

Shailesh

Shailesh Trivedi

Thank you to everyone for your inputs. I plan to use some form of cover to protect the CP5 and will ignore the dew on the Mach2 per se.

I have an OS RH200AT mounted which is in need for dew control which is on order.

My AP 130GTX with Denkmeir binoviewers is next up  for visual. 

Thank you again.

Shailesh