Dec limit in Mach2

Luca Marinelli

I have been battling an issue with the Mach2 that is difficult for me to pinpoint. I am using the Mach2 with APCC Pro, I finish an imaging session by parking the mount to Park 3. When I start APCC at the beginning of an imaging session, i initialize the mount by unparking from latest park position. The coordinates reported by CP5 are correct. When I launch the imaging run and start by slewing and centering on the target via plate solving, often the mount will hang mid-slew. AP ASCOM and APCC will report that the mount is slewing but the motors are not running. There is usually an error message of motor stall and also a notice of Dec limit reached. I have not set up Dec limits, the mount is not hitting against the mechanical Dec limit.

Last night to avoid this problem I started the session by issuing a Find Home command immediately after unparking from Park 3. The slew and center to the target went well and the imaging run started without errors. This morning when I went to shut down I found that the mount was parked in place close to Park 3 but not exactly. There was a fault triggered northern limit reached error message. I unparked, issued a Find Home command, parked at park 3 and all was well.

I am not sure if it is an issue with the CP5 or APCC Pro. It appears that the mount somehow gets lost easily and it requires frequent Find Home commands, even without having issues incorrect recals. I wonder if there are still leftover settings from when I used this computer and APCC Pro with the Mach1 that was recently replaced by the Mach2 that are causing these issues.

I am attaching a couple of screenshots demonstrating the messages and problem and a link to log files from the last few sessions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52ijjx876pjxwh8/ApccZip-Luca_Marinelli-2021-01-30-155940.zip?dl=0

Thank you,

Luca

Roland Christen

1) Make sure that your mount is balanced.
2) make sure that all 4 clutch knobs are tight. When they are loose the mount may stop slewing which triggers a motor stall.

Unless you have limits set up, the mount will not reach limits until it is totally upside down.
The mount is also never lost unless you send a faulty recal.
If you do lose the position due to faulty recal, the mount's true position in the sky is always recovered when you send it home.

If you are unparking the mount from previous position, you do not have the latest APCC version for the Mach2. The Mach2 does not need to be told to unpark from any position because it has absolute encoders and always knows where the axes are pointed. The correct version of APCC will not prompt you to unpark the mount from any position.

[...]

Luca,

I have alerted the members of our software team about your issue. It may very well be a simple error in the user entries in APCC. We had one other user last year that had a similar problem and it was fixed in his APCC entries, but I don't remember what specifically we advised him to look for. We'll get your mount running properly with APCC, so hang in there.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 06:31 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
1) Make sure that your mount is balanced.
2) make sure that all 4 clutch knobs are tight. When they are loose the mount may stop slewing which triggers a motor stall.

Unless you have limits set up, the mount will not reach limits until it is totally upside down.
The mount is also never lost unless you send a faulty recal.
If you do lose the position due to faulty recal, the mount's true position in the sky is always recovered when you send it home.

If you are unparking the mount from previous position, you do not have the latest APCC version for the Mach2. The Mach2 does not need to be told to unpark from any position because it has absolute encoders and always knows where the axes are pointed. The correct version of APCC will not prompt you to unpark the mount from any position.

Rolando
Thank you, Roland

I am just as perplexed by this behavior and am inclined to agree that there has to be some leftover from the Mach1 setting that is messing me up.
To your points:

1) and 2) The optics is balanced and the clutches are hand tight. The mount is carrying a FSQ106, so nothing heavy. I don't think I need to tighten the clutches with a hex wrench.

I don't have limits set up. As you can see in the screenshot I attached, when APCC gave the error Dec limit was reached, the mount was pointing to the Northwest, on it way to Park 3. I don't what Dec limit it is referring to. As I said, sending it home works, but I don't think I should be sending the mount home a couple of times a session. Obviously, I am doing something wrong or there is a setting that is preventing it from working correctly.

I am running APCC Pro version 1.8.8.17, firmware VCP5-P02-08, encoder version A02-08 (see attached screenshot). I don't think there is a more recent version of the software. When I launch APCC Pro, the mount initialization screen  includes the field Unpark from: Last Parked. Should it not? Is this mount initialization screen incorrect for the Mach2 (again see attached screenshot).

Incidentally, tonight I launched the imaging run without first sending the mount home and it did not give the error. We'll see if it also parks the mount successfully in the morning when it's done.

Thanks a lot,

Luca

Ray Gralak

Hi Luca,

I scanned your logs and I don't see any "motor stall" errors, but I do see that the mount was hitting a declination limit.

On APCC's AE tab, you might try disabling Dec Limits if it is enabled.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

[...]

The Dec limit problem continues. I had the mount in Park 3 position. I powered on the mount and started APCC. As soon as I clicked the connect button, APCC gave a Fault Triggered:South Limit error and ALT/Az position shows that the mount rotated in Dec all the way around. I just went outside to check in the observatory and that's exactly how i found the mount.

Why is the mount slewing on its own until it hits the Dec limit after it connects to APCC Pro? How can I stop this behavior?

Thanks,

Luca

Roland Christen

Hello Luca,