Debugging Dec failure to move w/1200 CP3

Steven Panish

Help!  My 1200 CP3 is intermittently not responding to DEC move commands, either manually from the V2 driver window or the handbox, or via PHD2.  I've unplugged the DEC motor connections and put contact cleaner on the exposed pins, which did not help. Would appreciate help debugging.  It happens a couple times per evening and resolves itself after a minute or two.

thanks,
Steve

Dale Ghent

Could be the dec cable has developed a connection fault in the form of a broken wire. Swap it with the RA cable and see if moving the dec axis continues to have problems.

On Jul 29, 2021, at 09:42, Steven Panish <scpanish@panishnet.com> wrote:

Help! My 1200 CP3 is intermittently not responding to DEC move commands, either manually from the V2 driver window or the handbox, or via PHD2. I've unplugged the DEC motor connections and put contact cleaner on the exposed pins, which did not help. Would appreciate help debugging. It happens a couple times per evening and resolves itself after a minute or two.

thanks,
Steve

Jeff B

Good advice Dale.  👍

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 9:49 AM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Could be the dec cable has developed a connection fault in the form of a broken wire. Swap it with the RA cable and see if moving the dec axis continues to have problems.

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 09:42, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:
>
> Help!  My 1200 CP3 is intermittently not responding to DEC move commands, either manually from the V2 driver window or the handbox, or via PHD2.  I've unplugged the DEC motor connections and put contact cleaner on the exposed pins, which did not help. Would appreciate help debugging.  It happens a couple times per evening and resolves itself after a minute or two.
>
> thanks,
> Steve

Steven Panish

Good idea Dale.  I dont' know the pinout, so wasn't aware this would be possible.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 9:49 AM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Could be the dec cable has developed a connection fault in the form of a broken wire. Swap it with the RA cable and see if moving the dec axis continues to have problems.

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 09:42, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:
>
> Help!  My 1200 CP3 is intermittently not responding to DEC move commands, either manually from the V2 driver window or the handbox, or via PHD2.  I've unplugged the DEC motor connections and put contact cleaner on the exposed pins, which did not help. Would appreciate help debugging.  It happens a couple times per evening and resolves itself after a minute or two.
>
> thanks,
> Steve

Steven Panish

Eric,
Thanks, but I don't understand why USB power would have any bearing on the issue.  ???
Steve

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 10:27 AM Eric Dreher <ericpdreher@...> wrote:
Via Device Manager, have you checked Power Management settings for your internet USB hub/ports?

Steven Panish

Although now that I think about it, swapping will be tough test.  The problem comes and goes intermittently.  I may have to wait for it to really break.  Maybe flexing the wires would provoke it.

STeve

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 10:49 AM Steve Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:
Good idea Dale.  I dont' know the pinout, so wasn't aware this would be possible.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 9:49 AM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Could be the dec cable has developed a connection fault in the form of a broken wire. Swap it with the RA cable and see if moving the dec axis continues to have problems.

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 09:42, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:
>
> Help!  My 1200 CP3 is intermittently not responding to DEC move commands, either manually from the V2 driver window or the handbox, or via PHD2.  I've unplugged the DEC motor connections and put contact cleaner on the exposed pins, which did not help. Would appreciate help debugging.  It happens a couple times per evening and resolves itself after a minute or two.
>
> thanks,
> Steve

George

Steve,

Remove the power cable from the CP3 control box and note that the center pin is a split pin.   Spread the two halves with a jeweler’s screwdriver or the tip of a knife blade.   See if you still encounter an issue.   If you do, then reverse the RA and Dec cables and see if the issue is with the RA instead of the Dec.

Let me know directly at my AP email below.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Although now that I think about it, swapping will be tough test.  The problem comes and goes intermittently.  I may have to wait for it to really break.  Maybe flexing the wires would provoke it.

STeve

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 10:49 AM Steve Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:

Good idea Dale.  I dont' know the pinout, so wasn't aware this would be possible.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 9:49 AM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Could be the dec cable has developed a connection fault in the form of a broken wire. Swap it with the RA cable and see if moving the dec axis continues to have problems.

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 09:42, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:
>
> Help!  My 1200 CP3 is intermittently not responding to DEC move commands, either manually from the V2 driver window or the handbox, or via PHD2.  I've unplugged the DEC motor connections and put contact cleaner on the exposed pins, which did not help. Would appreciate help debugging.  It happens a couple times per evening and resolves itself after a minute or two.
>
> thanks,
> Steve

Steven Panish

George,
Not likely.  The problem is only on DEC.  RA is unaffected and when DEC is failing I can nudge in DEC just fine, and tracking is fine (in RA).  So I don't see how it could be the 12V power to the CP3.  I think it has to be either in the CP3 guts outward to the  DEC motor.  I'll do the cable swap and maybe ohm out the cable first.

Are there any known points of failure in that path?

Steve

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:00 AM George <george@...> wrote:

Steve,

Remove the power cable from the CP3 control box and note that the center pin is a split pin.   Spread the two halves with a jeweler’s screwdriver or the tip of a knife blade.   See if you still encounter an issue.   If you do, then reverse the RA and Dec cables and see if the issue is with the RA instead of the Dec.

Let me know directly at my AP email below.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Although now that I think about it, swapping will be tough test.  The problem comes and goes intermittently.  I may have to wait for it to really break.  Maybe flexing the wires would provoke it.

STeve

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 10:49 AM Steve Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:

Good idea Dale.  I dont' know the pinout, so wasn't aware this would be possible.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 9:49 AM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Could be the dec cable has developed a connection fault in the form of a broken wire. Swap it with the RA cable and see if moving the dec axis continues to have problems.

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 09:42, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:
>
> Help!  My 1200 CP3 is intermittently not responding to DEC move commands, either manually from the V2 driver window or the handbox, or via PHD2.  I've unplugged the DEC motor connections and put contact cleaner on the exposed pins, which did not help. Would appreciate help debugging.  It happens a couple times per evening and resolves itself after a minute or two.
>
> thanks,
> Steve

Steven Panish

Eric,
The CP3 is connected through a serial/usb converter, but the RA still responds to a nudge even when the DEC does not, so the port is still alive.   And the handbox shows the same issue.  I think the fault has to be later in the path than the comm between the PC or handbox and the CP3.  Although I don't know the architecture.  Good thought though.
Steve

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:09 AM Eric Dreher <ericpdreher@...> wrote:
Some will sleep, removing power from the port when it's considered inactive.

Steven Panish

OOPs meant when DEC fails I can nudge in RA just fine.  I just hope it isn't in the motor box.  I don't want to take everything down.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:13 AM Steven Panish via groups.io <scpanish=panishnet.com@groups.io> wrote:
George,
Not likely.  The problem is only on DEC.  RA is unaffected and when DEC is failing I can nudge in DEC just fine, and tracking is fine (in RA).  So I don't see how it could be the 12V power to the CP3.  I think it has to be either in the CP3 guts outward to the  DEC motor.  I'll do the cable swap and maybe ohm out the cable first.

Are there any known points of failure in that path?

Steve

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:00 AM George <george@...> wrote:

Steve,

Remove the power cable from the CP3 control box and note that the center pin is a split pin.   Spread the two halves with a jeweler’s screwdriver or the tip of a knife blade.   See if you still encounter an issue.   If you do, then reverse the RA and Dec cables and see if the issue is with the RA instead of the Dec.

Let me know directly at my AP email below.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Although now that I think about it, swapping will be tough test.  The problem comes and goes intermittently.  I may have to wait for it to really break.  Maybe flexing the wires would provoke it.

STeve

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 10:49 AM Steve Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:

Good idea Dale.  I dont' know the pinout, so wasn't aware this would be possible.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 9:49 AM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Could be the dec cable has developed a connection fault in the form of a broken wire. Swap it with the RA cable and see if moving the dec axis continues to have problems.

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 09:42, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:
>
> Help!  My 1200 CP3 is intermittently not responding to DEC move commands, either manually from the V2 driver window or the handbox, or via PHD2.  I've unplugged the DEC motor connections and put contact cleaner on the exposed pins, which did not help. Would appreciate help debugging.  It happens a couple times per evening and resolves itself after a minute or two.
>
> thanks,
> Steve

Dale Ghent

Right. What George is saying is that you can unplug the dec cable from the dec motor and plug it into the RA motor. If the problem follows with the cable move, then the issue is quite likely a cable problem - a broken internal wire or solder connection inside the connector.

Sure you can take a multimeter to each pin and test for continuity but you might need that 3rd hand to flop the cable around while you test each pin's continuity because the issue might rear its head only when the cable is flexing under movement. Just swapping it to the RA motor and trying to induce the issue there is often a quicker way to determine this.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 9:49 AM Dale Ghent <daleg@elemental.org> wrote:

Could be the dec cable has developed a connection fault in the form of a broken wire. Swap it with the RA cable and see if moving the dec axis continues to have problems.

On Jul 29, 2021, at 09:42, Steven Panish <scpanish@panishnet.com> wrote:

Help! My 1200 CP3 is intermittently not responding to DEC move commands, either manually from the V2 driver window or the handbox, or via PHD2. I've unplugged the DEC motor connections and put contact cleaner on the exposed pins, which did not help. Would appreciate help debugging. It happens a couple times per evening and resolves itself after a minute or two.

thanks,
Steve

That is exactly what George means. We are trying to determine if the issue follows the motor itself, indicating a bad motor, or the wire harness. If it follows the wire harness, then the issue is either the harness itself or the CP3. If the problem only occurs when the cable is moved a certain way, then the harness itself should be the issue.

Liam Plybon

[...]

Thanks guys.  I will try to provoke the issue and then swap the RA and DEC to get the problem to move.  The cable would be the easiest to fix so I hope that's it!

Steve

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 12:01 PM Liam Plybon <liam@...> wrote:
That is exactly what George means. We are trying to determine if the issue follows the motor itself, indicating a bad motor, or the wire harness. If it follows the wire harness, then the issue is either the harness itself or the CP3. If the problem only occurs when the cable is moved a certain way, then the harness itself should be the issue.

Liam Plybon

Right. What George is saying is that you can unplug the dec cable from the dec motor and plug it into the RA motor. If the problem follows with the cable move, then the issue is quite likely a cable problem - a broken internal wire or solder connection inside the connector.

Sure you can take a multimeter to each pin and test for continuity but you might need that 3rd hand to flop the cable around while you test each pin's continuity because the issue might rear its head only when the cable is flexing under movement. Just swapping it to the RA motor  and trying to induce the issue there is often a quicker way to determine this.

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 11:13, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:
>
> George,
> Not likely.  The problem is only on DEC.  RA is unaffected and when DEC is failing I can nudge in DEC just fine, and tracking is fine (in RA).  So I don't see how it could be the 12V power to the CP3.  I think it has to be either in the CP3 guts outward to the  DEC motor.  I'll do the cable swap and maybe ohm out the cable first.
>
> Are there any known points of failure in that path?
>
> Steve
>
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:00 AM George <george@...> wrote:
> Steve,
>

> Remove the power cable from the CP3 control box and note that the center pin is a split pin.   Spread the two halves with a jeweler’s screwdriver or the tip of a knife blade.   See if you still encounter an issue.   If you do, then reverse the RA and Dec cables and see if the issue is with the RA instead of the Dec.
>

> Let me know directly at my AP email below.
>

> Regards,
>

> George
>

> George Whitney
>
> Astro-Physics, Inc.
>
> Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)
>
> Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Manusfisch

Wasn’t there a problem with the CP3 where the inside board became loose or had a corroded connection inside the box that might make intermittent problems come up with power to the motor or control to the motor? I don’t have a CP3 just a later model CP4 so I can’t really comment technically I just remember a conversation

TJF Mobile

On Jul 29, 2021, at 08:18, Steven Panish <scpanish@...> wrote:

Eric,
The CP3 is connected through a serial/usb converter, but the RA still responds to a nudge even when the DEC does not, so the port is still alive.   And the handbox shows the same issue.  I think the fault has to be later in the path than the comm between the PC or handbox and the CP3.  Although I don't know the architecture.  Good thought though.
Steve

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:09 AM Eric Dreher <ericpdreher@...> wrote:
Some will sleep, removing power from the port when it's considered inactive.

Christopher Erickson

Also consider getting a spare motor Y-cable and try that. EVERYONE should have a spare motor Y-cable in their kit. A spare power cord too.

And there is an outside chance that a software axis limit setting is involved.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021, 11:50 AM Manusfisch via groups.io <tjfischer653=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Corrosion on the main board and connectors can be an issue with any outdoors equipment, even the CP3. If you notice signs of corrosion on the motor connector, that may be causing the issue. I would still check the cable first before suspecting the board, though.

Liam Plybon

Astro-Physics

[...]

Jeffc

On Jul 29, 2021, at 12:00 PM, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

Also consider getting a spare motor Y-cable and try that. EVERYONE should have a spare motor Y-cable in their kit. A spare power cord too.

Fwiw.. I also have a spare Y-cable for the 1200.
I broke the original cable once, and fixed it… but after that incident I decided to get a spare just in case.

[...]

Unfortunately the RA branch of the y-cable is too short to make it to the DEC motor connector.  I may be able to pull off the CP3 and get the cable to connect to the DEC motor.  I did put the DEC cable onto the RA and the motor did not come on.  So that would support the idea that there is a fault in the cable or CP3.

There is no visible corrosion on any of the connector pins.  They do not appear to be gold plated, this is an old mount. I put DeOxIt on the female connector sockets.  Didn't help.  I'll open the CP3 up and see if any corrosion is visible.  Seems unlikely, this is in an observatory, but NH does get humid.

There are no software limits set that would do this.  The problem appeared out of the blue.

Guess I'll order a spare Y cable next week.

Steve

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 4:06 PM Jeffc <jeffcrilly@...> wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I would call it a dead cable since the RA went dead once you plugged the dec cable into it, so the problem followed it. It wouldn't surprise me for a such an old mount. I maintain a 1200GTO for my club and its Y cable's insulation feels stiff the touch and the jacket material appears to be quite oxidized, giving it an almost brittle look. I wouldn't be surprised if it threw in the towel at some point after nearly 20 years of hot summers and cold winters and flexing under use, assuming it's the original cable. Even though the performance of the mount is pretty much flawless, I should probably have the club get a spare to keep on hand.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 11:09 AM Eric Dreher <ericpdreher@att.net> wrote:
Some will sleep, removing power from the port when it's considered inactive.

Don Anderson

Just like the Hubble. Need a backup!

Don Anderson